Notices

Got hit by a car

Old 01-19-2024, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got hit by a car

I’m so frustrated. I went on a run on Tuesday and I was in the crosswalk and a car ran a red light and hit me. I’m not bruised and scraped up. I can’t walk without a Walker. And even then it’s painful and limited. I spent Tuesday in the hospital. Wtf. I’m so frustrated… I had just recovered from an elective surgery that kinda went wrong. And I was just released to start lightly working out again. So it was my 3rd day in a row jogging and boom. Hit by a car. I feel so isolated as it was from not drinking. Now I’m even more so being as I can’t walk. I can’t go on walks, I can’t go grocery shopping, I can’t even go downstairs from my apartment to pick up Uber eats. I feel trapped in my apartment hoping each day gets easier. I just am starting to shut down emotionally. Between my mom passing away, men drama, my gma getting dementia, quitting drinking, getting a self help elective surgery and being excited about it but having the recovery be messed but and now this … this has been the most messed up 6 months ever. I’m beyond exhausted from **** happening … I need a break. I need to hit a punching bag. I just want to scream “ok god , I get it… I have been listening… how much more can a person take “!!!!!
Old 01-19-2024, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I meant I am bruised and scraped up
Old 01-19-2024, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow I'm really sorry AJ.

Its just someone elses bad judgement at play here tho I think - not a punishment from God or anything.

I hope the police get the guy, and I hope that you'll be able to get around better soon.

When I've had falls and have been restricted in movement with rib injuries scrapes and bruises. I've used the community here to keep me grounded and feeling useful.

D
Old 01-19-2024, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to read all this AJ. It's hard to give much comfort about what has happened. 'Of all the events you listed, you only had control over one and that was quitting drinking. Hang on to that.

Old 01-19-2024, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AJ! I am SO SORRY.

I am going to say the requisite "I know this is hard, but think of how much harder this would be if you were still drinking" but mostly I am going to say that ALL is so much!!!! I know everyone's road is different, but you're dang right- it's time for some peace! When I first got sober, some bad things happened and it was like, hey! I'm trying so hard! I need a BREAK!! I too, felt like shutting down. In fact, I sort of did.

Gradually, though, I realized that everyone has their own stuff, and mine was not any more important or worse than many other peoples' stuff, and in fact, it was actually better than a heck of a lot of peoples' stuff. I know, we aren't supposed to compare, but in reality, we do. I am sorry it's hard right now, but that only means that better days are ahead. Stay positive and focused and let yourself vent to a friend or here on SR. You will be ok- time will heal you and you'll be back at your runs. I'm glad you were not critically injured and are mobile. Feel free to let it fly at that punching bag!!

Keep on going, you're passing all the hard tests. When those wins come, you know you earned them, and let's call those wins every day you are sober!
Old 01-19-2024, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's just terrible, AJ, good heavens!
I'm so sorry you're injured. What a horrible thing to happen to you.
I'm sending you lots of hugs and well wishes.
And feel free to vent here - we're good sparring partners
Old 01-20-2024, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry AJ. That's a lot to go through. I

hope you mend quickly.

Do you have anyone to help you?
Old 01-20-2024, 12:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
needingtochange

AJ, I don't post here very much, but I feel like I'm becoming part of the family. So sorry to hear about your accident. I know it sucks right now and If I lived closer I'd lend a hand. I hope you get better soon and don't give in if you're tempted. N2C
Old 01-20-2024, 01:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear this, AJ. I know you have been through a lot lately and it often seems like things happen in multiples, at least for me. Just keep focused on your sobriety, and rest up, and take care of business.

Sounds like you were hit pretty hard. Did the person stop? Was someone able to get their info? Do not let go of it, as an injury like that may be more serious than you realize, and you may need to recover medical bills from him/her.

Keep posting AJ, and let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

**** I'm so sorry that'd such an unfair thing to happen and something the driver could easily have avoided. I'd be pretty ticked off too.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Life can seem so unfair at times! That's when we have to dig in deep.
I wasn't hit by a car thank god, but diagnosed with patellofemoral arthritis in my left knee. Dear Lord is it painful. I too am hobbling about with a crutch. I have to go upstairs on all 4s like a grey back gorilla, and down on my butt! I can't sleep for the pain, and no analgesia is touching it.
i'm too young for a knee replacement apparently, however, I will plague the life out of my GP. I work full time, thankfully, 99% is from home, but I cannot hobble around like this. Ive self referred to physio as GP "didn't see the point".
I usually post of F&F, but wanted you to know, I hear you, AJ.
Take good care of you.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 01-20-2024, 02:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone… thank you for your replies. They are helping. For some of your questions… Yes I got the persons info … police, medics and ambulance came to to scene. She(the driver) wanted to leave but I started to take pictures of her car and it forced her to stay. I called 911 and they were there in under 2min. I’m shaken up emotionally by it all. I thought I was going to die in that moment. I still can’t believe nothing is broken. I do think there is something extremely wrong with my hip though ( that’s what is making it hard to walk ). I have a lawyer who is a family friend. He came over 2 days after the accident and I started paperwork process with him to sue the insurance of the driver. Or get a settlement. I felt like drinking day one but now I don’t at all so that’s good. My body feels so inflamed that the thought of alcohol making the inflammation worse is not something that sounds interesting to me at all. I guess I am having a lot of anxiety wrapped around how quickly life can change. Not so much death. I’ve never been afraid to die. Infact, I feel like I’m a sense it will feel like going home. But I mean I am acutely aware after being it by the car, that everything is fleeting. I am hurt pretty bad but it could’ve been worse. I could have been paralyzed. Then everything I had worked for in a traditional sense (career) etc would be essentially gone. If I permanently couldn’t walk my life as I know it would be over. Even it being over for this particular week has been hard. It has been a mind shift for sure and one that has brought up a lot of fears. Being a 41 year old divorced woman with no kids and the family I do have , I feel tend to lean on me . This car accident highlighted just how much my “family” relies on me but I can’t rely on them back. So to answer the other question on here. I am taking care of myself. My friend took me to the hospital and my step mom picked me up (which was really nice). However, in the last 5 days the only help I have had is my aunt has brought me pasta one night. I take care of my grandma with dementia. I live with her so not only has no one taken care of me… I’ve had to use a Walker to hobble around the house to make sure she has her meds, food. What not. This is also bringing up why I drank in the first place. Growing up I was always the one care taking and who “had her **** together “. So I just think I’m vastly ignored if I dare need anything. Everyone always thinks “oh that is AJ, she’s got this”….. but being hit by a car… no. No I don’t got this. I have a handful of friends that are pure gold. They also point out how my family just really doesn’t show up for me. So I have decided that I’m going to step away from my family moving forward and cultivate even closer relationships with my friends who actually care … thank you all
Old 01-20-2024, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this AJ
Sometimes life just beats the crap out of us. Then we when fall to the ground it gives us a couple good kicks for measure.

I hope this is your last kick for a while.

I hope you get your mobility back soon.

Don't let life beat you. You deserve to be at peace.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job AJ. You handled it well, while in pain and under pressure. Really well done. Be proud of yourself.

I am no expert on these matters but might caution you not to move too fast, as you don't know yet the extent of your injuries and the impact on your work. Do not rush, get a couple of legal opinions, and be cautious relying on a friend who is an attorney. That is often not good business practice.

I totally get the family pressure, and it's one reason I drank too - always being the responsible one - first after the death of my older sister, then the departure of my father, then my younger brother's issues and later financial irresponsibility (I still help him out, sigh). And girlfriends.. I am literally a walking codependency advertisement.

All that to say that some of us caregivers get really taken advantage of, and even awareness doesn't make it easy to change, due to the emotional roots of the behaviors. So I commend your efforts (and friends) to get out now, while you are still young. Maybe you will be able to look back at this as the epiphany that you needed, to move on and put your own needs first. Someone once said "never let a serious crisis go to waste" and I believe that. It's a time for change!

I wish you a speedy recovery and many healthy emotional connections and relationships to come.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Really sorry this happened to you how annoying. Thankfully you haven't had the desire to drink which would of made everything worse.

You know what they say you can't pick your family but you can pick your friends.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Crikey AJ!! I’m so sorry to hear this, that sucks! I’m glad you’re alright though and it wasn’t worse. Still, not a nice thing

xxx
Old 01-20-2024, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear this. I've been there. No, I actually mean I was hit by a car, although I was riding my bike, laid up for a week, and out of commission for weeks after that. It's a pain for sure, but we get better. Wishing you the best and speedy full recovery.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hope you will feel better soon. I have been kicked and beat up before more than once. Sometimes life has plans that superseded mine.
Take care, best of luck.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

AJ, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Well done in photographing the car and making the woman stay put. And, you've had a lot to deal with recently and now things are up in the air. I'm sure you don't know how quickly things will heal or what to expect. We're here for you, always. And, I want to say well done on planning to step back from family and to use the loving friends you have as your family. It sounds to me like something good is coming out of this accident already.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

AJ, I am so sorry that this happened to you. You have certainly had your share of challenges lately.

Stay close. We are here for you.