View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 04:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
advbike

Good job AJ. You handled it well, while in pain and under pressure. Really well done. Be proud of yourself.

I am no expert on these matters but might caution you not to move too fast, as you don't know yet the extent of your injuries and the impact on your work. Do not rush, get a couple of legal opinions, and be cautious relying on a friend who is an attorney. That is often not good business practice.

I totally get the family pressure, and it's one reason I drank too - always being the responsible one - first after the death of my older sister, then the departure of my father, then my younger brother's issues and later financial irresponsibility (I still help him out, sigh). And girlfriends.. I am literally a walking codependency advertisement.

All that to say that some of us caregivers get really taken advantage of, and even awareness doesn't make it easy to change, due to the emotional roots of the behaviors. So I commend your efforts (and friends) to get out now, while you are still young. Maybe you will be able to look back at this as the epiphany that you needed, to move on and put your own needs first. Someone once said "never let a serious crisis go to waste" and I believe that. It's a time for change!

I wish you a speedy recovery and many healthy emotional connections and relationships to come.