Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Had an epiphany- Cannabis Use Disorder, mental health and a greeting

Notices

Had an epiphany- Cannabis Use Disorder, mental health and a greeting

Old 01-17-2024, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Had an epiphany- Cannabis Use Disorder, mental health and a greeting

I still remember the first session, age 15/friends backyard, fondly though it has led to many years of dependence and the natural consequences of that.

I'm nearly 30 and have always looked forward to this decade. However, I did not anticipate my relationship with cannabis to be so consuming. I fear All consuming. Eight days ago I began *some* cessation by abstaining until at least 4pm and recording the actual time I began. I did well until inevitable changes in my body and environment challenged that motivation. I use daily, multiple times a day, have an extremely high tolerance, am otherwise effectively medicated but wonder if the symptoms being treated are actually a result of long-term substance use. My relationship with cannabis is disordered and it's time to share in that with similarly-motivated people.

My husband deserves a present wife.
My bunnies deserve a present mom.
I deserve clarity, sturdiness and nonmanufactured JOY.

TLDR (though I don't think this is long enough lol); Growing in motivation to get sober and present minded. Looking for encouragement, tips, trips, book titles and ANY online resources available, love those. Love you (✿◡‿◡)
Old 01-17-2024, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Abbyblay
Great to have you aboard!

I smoked pot for 30 years more or less and gave it up in conjunction with alcohol in 2007, so it can be done

we also have a marijuana addiction forum with links and stuff:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/

D
Old 01-17-2024, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll be using that often!!
Old 01-17-2024, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Abby, Welcome!

I think you will learn more about the symptoms you mentioned when you stop using the cannabis. I suspect that it's hard to know where the symptoms originate. We have a great Book List compiled by our members. My favorite book for inspiration is "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav, but there are lots of interesting titles:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna! Reading is an urge surfing skill I'm going to use so I will definitely look into this!
Old 01-18-2024, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Abby. The *Stickies* above the forums have plenty of links/info you may want to use to help your recovery.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome abby!
Old 01-21-2024, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome abbyblay, this is a helpful forum, lots of good advice and observations. good luck!
Old 01-21-2024, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Abby! I stopped smoking marijuana at age 30, and I can tell you it was one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. I had no idea how hazy and clouded it made my thinking. I was really ready at age 30, but had struggled all through my teens and 20s because I liked it a lot, and was not aware just how much I was missing out without it. This is a wonderful forum and you will learn a lot here. Congrats for deciding to make a change. You will NOT regret it!!