Notices

Sober but …

Old 12-29-2023, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but …

Hi guys. I was 6 weeks sober… then drank for 2 days. Now I am a month. I feel great. I had a disaster of stress, hurt and discomfort happen recently. It’s in my personal life and work world. Im not worried im going to drink. Im just so sad… crying all day. On and off. Thanks for listening
Old 12-29-2023, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting it together again and taking control. Congrats on a whole month! Well done.
I'm sorry you're feeling sad, but see it for what it is... you will have your up and down days. Your brain is trying so hard to adjust to what it's been through and trying to return to a state of homeostasis.
Lots of things are going on in your body while it's trying to heal.

I found that reading about it and being able to put my finger on why I was feeling a certain way, helped me a lot to get through it.
Good luck and keep posting.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi AJ so good your getting sober. Whatever process has made you sad it will improve. We all have to deal with upset through life and you will do it so much better without alcohol.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back and now accepting that alcohol
doesn't work nor ever will. A month behind you which
is a good start and to continue on this remarkable
journey we all are on to achieve continuous sobriety
and be the best, healthiest folks we can be moving
forward. Hold tightly to your recovery support and
lifelines and never let go no matter what life throws
your way. Good or bad.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are back. When I was on that roller coaster of drinking then stopping then drinking again my emotions were all over the place and I was so disappointed in myself.. I hope your mood lifts and when life throws you curve balls don't let that av win..as you know it only makes things worse.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could not stay clean and sober until I fully committed to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and I have come to conclude that there is a type of alcoholic for whom -- like me -- AA is the only solution. Obviously, I have no way of knowing whether you are that type of alcoholic, but I encourage you to keep an open mind about the possibility that you might be. God bless.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

AJ, I'm glad you're back and with a month sober. It sounds like you're going through some difficult times, so stay focused on your sobriety.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all

I feel pretty strong in my resolve to not drink. I don’t feel the pink cloud nor do I miss it. I just am over it in general. The stuff that is chaotic in my life has nothing to do with drinking or past drinking. I know drinking wouldn’t help it. I don’t even think about drinking much anymore… I’m sure that will fluctuate over time but for now it feels like a new normal to not drink. Even though it’s only been a month, the gaps I have had since my journey to sobriety have been 1-2 months no drinking. Then 1-2 days of drinking. Back to no drinking. So I think somewhere along the lines I’ve gotten pretty comfortable doing life without alcohol 95% of the time. I just have to play the tape forward in those moments I feel like screw it I will drink. None of those days I spent drinking felt good this last year. So even though they have only been a handful …. They only made me feel like shit…. Anyway. Thank you all for your support. I think I’m dealing with suppressed feelings I’ve always shoved under the rug. Then I’m my late twenties when the pile got too high I started drinking to not deal with my feelings. Now slowly I’m allowing my feelings to come to surface and I have to admit there is some anger there for sure.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, AJ.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
Hi guys. I was 6 weeks sober… then drank for 2 days. Now I am a month. I feel great. I had a disaster of stress, hurt and discomfort happen recently. It’s in my personal life and work world. Im not worried im going to drink. Im just so sad… crying all day. On and off. Thanks for listening
Oh no, AJ I hope you feel better soon emotionally. It’s a good thing though that you aren’t worried you’ll drink… But it is definitely crappy having to go through the motions of sadness. Obviously it’s better doing it sober (as you know) because at least you aren’t making the mental anguish harder with all that negative self-talk that comes in the aftermath of drinking.
I am sending you a virtual hug!
xxx
Old 12-29-2023, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back AJ - congrats on your month.
I hope 2024 is the time you can leave that old coping mechanism behind for good

D