Notices

Thanks drug companies.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Thanks drug companies.

This isn't medical advice, hope it won't trigger anybody and probably isn't what you might be thinking of... As I was driving to work this morning a news story came on about the diabetes/weight loss drug Ozempic (and others I suppose). It seemed to indicate that it also helped some people drink less alcohol. I thought to myself wow, that would be great. It went on to say that drug companies aren't really pursuing it, "because they feel there's no money in it." Maybe they meant not enough money in it.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, first off, I don't usually assume that the media gets the facts correct.

Then, Ozempic and its ilk costs somewhere around $800-$1000 a month, and it's not reimbursed by insurance for weight loss, so alcohol temperance would likely be the same problem. How many problem drinkers you know with $1000 to blow on a drug every month that may or may not help them, "drink less?" Plus - the side effects are pretty significant and not all alcoholics have extra weight to spare - they often already suffer from malnutrition.

Then, there are already other effective drugs. Cheaper drugs. The bottom line is it really takes zero drugs to quit drinking. "Drinking less alcohol," isn't really the end game.

The GLP-1 agonists are really interesting, though. Many people who claim to have, "food addiction," likely share some of the same genetic traits as alcoholics. This drug changes their cravings. It's really hopeful for obesity treatment and maybe other addictions, but if it causes weight loss by loss of desire for eating that would be a problem for many drinkers and drug users.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The bottom line is it really takes zero drugs to quit drinking. "Drinking less alcohol," isn't really the end game.
Before someone jumps on this, yes, some people do need to be medically detoxed from alcohol. I was in the flow and didn't really think about that.

I stand by my statement that drinking less is not the end game. A full quit is. Once past the detox, drugs to lower cravings or to cause illness if you drink? That's another discussion. Not necessary, but may be helpful for some.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No drug could get me off of alcohol. I wouldn't even think about it.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Purely my opinion, of course, but I suspect drug companies want profits, and the other stuff is secondary.

There are recognised drugs which help with drinking. I took Campral/acamprosate for a few weeks when I first quit. The idea is it reduces cravings in those who have stopped drinking. It seems to be effective but willpower is required too. I’d decided to quit anyway so came off Campral after a few weeks. I doubt it had any benefits in that short time.

I’m pretty sure there’s no medication out there which can help. Antabuse is the famous one, but that sounds absolutely horrendous and dangerous. It’s definitely worth seeing a GP, but there are more effective ways to quit than any current medication.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The Dog

I personally have worked in the drug industry and am glad I did. I learned one thing I will never forget. The reason name brand drugs cost so much in America is thanks to no more then the government mainly the FDA. You see, a patent on a drug is not indefinete forever like it is with most products. Coca-Cola for instance has a US patent and no one else can copy it. Most merchandise can have a patent that never expires. However a newly developed drug gets a patent for only anywhere from 2-10 years. Hundreds of millions of dollars go into the science, research, development and FDA approval of that medication. If the FDA only gives it a five year patent then that drug company has five years to recover the money paid to scientists, researchers, the developers and the millions to the FDA for approval. And of course the drug company is not going to do all of that for zero profit. The generic company on the other hand has to do no research. The name brand company has to release the chemicals in the medication to all. The generic company can produce the medication with no scientists, no research and no testing. Their cost is a fraction of the name brand and that is why their price is a fraction of the name brand.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Purely my opinion, of course, but I suspect drug companies want profits, and the other stuff is secondary.
So true! Look at that suboxone shiz show….

Also, don’t do what I did once. Ordered Antabuse online from India because I was so desperate to stop drinking. Of course after not very long, I drank on it. I was so so so so so SO ill. I felt like I was actually dying (sorry to sound so dramatic) !

xxx
Old 12-07-2023, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^ Yikes! That sounds super scary, Knee. I asked my GP about antabuse, and they were dead against it. I think whoever invented antabuse underestimated an alcoholic’s cravings. That does sound like a very nasty time in your life, Knee, and I’m glad you’re on the up 🙂 “Go to the GP” is probably the most used phrase on SR, but it worked for me.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Antabuse was really great IME except it made me psychotic, but that's a rare side effect and it shouldn't have been given to me with my history of psychosis. Yeah you'll drink on it, but you're not going to repeat the experiment. And it takes about a week off it for the drug to clear enough to drink and not get ill. So a relapse needs to be planned in advance and you can always change your mind in that week and take it again. If it weren't for the antabuse psychosis, which again is rare, I would still be taking it.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's tentative evidence for lots of drugs to help with alcoholism. Naltrexone has been generic for years and has been researched more for alcoholism and is prescribed for both alcoholism and obesity (I think in combination with wellbrutin for obesity). I would be very skeptical of talk of an extremely expensive drug possibly maybe being of use. And aside from being expensive, there's an ozempic shortage and some people can't get it for T2 diabetes.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Antabuse was really great IME except it made me psychotic, but that's a rare side effect and it shouldn't have been given to me with my history of psychosis. Yeah you'll drink on it, but you're not going to repeat the experiment. And it takes about a week off it for the drug to clear enough to drink and not get ill. So a relapse needs to be planned in advance and you can always change your mind in that week and take it again. If it weren't for the antabuse psychosis, which again is rare, I would still be taking it.
Freedom - that was my problem - I DID repeat the experiment, a few times! I’m a complete moron!! I experimented until I got it down to about 6 days of last taking a tablet to be able to then drink, with only moderate side effects, but then the whole cycle got messy (as you can imagine), not keeping track of when I last had one. And then thinking ‘Fuck it’ and drinking anyway, consistently throwing up, awful stomach pains, I kept stopping breathing in my sleep. All my own stupid fault, playing with fire.

However, I am glad it worked for you, you obviously respected the process unlike me! xxx
Old 12-08-2023, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I stand by my statement that drinking less is not the end game. A full quit is.
This ^^^^^
Old 12-08-2023, 02:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
^ Yikes! That sounds super scary, Knee. I asked my GP about antabuse, and they were dead against it. I think whoever invented antabuse underestimated an alcoholic’s cravings. That does sound like a very nasty time in your life, Knee, and I’m glad you’re on the up 🙂 “Go to the GP” is probably the most used phrase on SR, but it worked for me.
It was super-scary! But I was so desperate to stop drinking and at that time, I clearly wasn’t ready mentally.

I think you have to go through numerous attempts of quitting to realise that you can’t make it work if you want a life worth living. I think that’s what’s different this time around for me. I’m seeing stopping booze as a gain rather than a loss. Finally!!

Just a note on going to the GP. I did that once. It took about 2 years to pluck up the courage, as I was worried about being a Mum/having the kids/looking like a failure etc. The doctor obviously didn’t understand addiction. She advised me to have a glass of water in between drinks! I left wishing I hadn’t said anything. Although that was about 10 years ago, maybe they would be a bit more useful these days?

One thing is certain: SR is the best place I have ever found for sober friends/advice/support and inspiration xxx
Old 12-08-2023, 03:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

^ Sorry to hear that your GP was less than helpful, Knee. That’s shocking when GPs will see plenty of alcoholics who aren’t trying to change or be proactive like you were. My GP wasn’t massively helpful and referred me to counselling (which wasn’t much help either), but the main catalyst was the fact I’d ‘fessed up to someone in authority. I’d quit about 3 months after seeing my GP so it wasn’t such a bad move. Yes, it’s not a nice experience to see a GP about alcoholism, but there are people who are worried it might affect medical insurance or similar. It didn’t in my case, and if anything drinking excessively for years will certainly affect medical insurance eventually.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Bim, I know that those "weight loss" drugs are expensive and not a cure all. Not taking that
first drink has worked for me thus far. For most of us (I guess) here on SR total abstinence is
the only way.
Those companies are in business to make money (as I assume most companies are) and they
have to try and recoup their expenses. I understand that. I guess I was just in the right frame
of mind but thinking, what if there were some profit…
Thanks to everybody for some feedback. N2C
Old 12-08-2023, 05:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I tried pretty much every drug I heard of that was touted as an effective way to curb alcohol cravings - Campral, Naltrexone, Antabuse... Tried quite a few supplements, too, like Kudzu extract and St. John's Wort. Went through several therapists hoping that would help me stop drinking. Showed up to many of those sessions intoxicated. Read a fair amount of self help books, too. Some things I read were very thought-provoking and rang true, but addiction doesn't really care too much about reason.

At the end of the day, nothing was going to make me stop drinking until I hit rock bottom, at least for me, and whatever good effects I once got from alcohol were completely outweighed by a mountain of bad stuff. After 2 stints in rehab, I finally surrendered and went to AA. It has helped, and hasn't cost me a thing, other than what I feel compelled to give.