Notices

22 days clean and sober

Old 09-29-2023, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

22 days clean and sober

Hi All, Just hit the 3 week clean & sober mark yesterday. Aside from the rare day here and there, I've been a daily marijuana user for the better part of 25 years. I've managed to build a fairly healthy and successful personal and professional life, but like many others, I felt like I had run my course with marijuana. I no longer felt as though it was serving a purpose, or providing the "benefits" or enjoyment that it once had.
I wouldn't say I had a problem with alcohol, but again, being a regular, if not daily consumer of alcohol, I hit a point where I started to feel my relationship with alcohol changing, and decided it was time to see what life is like without alcohol.

For the first week or two, I had a very difficult time sleeping, or staying asleep at night. There were a number of nights dealing with "insomnia" and yes, the dreams/nightmares were vivid beyond anything I've had in a long, long while.

Thankfully, I seem to have come through the other side of the sleeping issue, and I'm now getting fairly decent sleep on a nightly basis.

Overall, I feel great - much better than I have in a long while. I have almost zero cravings, or thoughts about either marijuana, or drinking. There are of course, certain moments where it crosses the mind, either because of a "trigger", habit etc, but all in all, I've lost weight, I'm sleeping better, feeling better, and learning that I can indeed live without a crutch, or instant to drink, or use marijuana for stress management, relaxation, or to enjoy life.

I've been watching a number of videos online throughout the last 3 weeks to continue my motivation, and to gain tips/perspective etc, but also decided to join this forum in order to share in my experience, and to learn from others.

I wish every single one of you success and happiness on your journey. I look forward to sharing my story, and to learn from others.

Thank you for your support, and I wish all of you health, and happiness.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard KickItForGood

Like you I smoked pot for many years - smoking daily... - but I also consumed alcohol the same way.

I gave it all up - and life has never been better.

3 weeks is a great start!

D
Old 09-30-2023, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulation on 3 weeks clean and sober. There is an amazing life in recovery available with total abstinence being the pivotal foundation 🙏
Old 09-30-2023, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome with continued recovery achievements.!
Old 09-30-2023, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi I'm 36 days sober and feel a completely different person. Keep going it's definitely worth it.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Sober is a better life
Old 09-30-2023, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I sure enjoy life without the substances much more than I did as a drunk.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Kick.
Sober is easier that maintaining an addiction any day.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 10-01-2023, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job on three weeks
Old 10-01-2023, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things KickItForGood?

D
Old 10-02-2023, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-03-2023, 02:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The Dog

Being quit will feel better the longer you go.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi All - Thank you so much for welcoming me to the forum, and for your well wishes and encouragement.
Currently on day 27 of clean and sober living.
For the most part, I've gone through the month with very few moments of cravings or temptations to drink or use THC.
While I wouldn't say I had a "problem" with alcohol, I was certainly noticing a change in my relationship with alcohol, and how much/regularly I was consuming it.
Marijuana, on the other hand, was my go to crutch. I'd primarily vape, but within minutes of waking up every day, I'd be vaping. Because of my tolerance (daily user for the better part of 25 yrs) and the ability to vape almost anywhere and at any time, I was likely hitting the pen dozens of times a day. Going somewhere? Doing something? relaxing? stressed out? bored?...I'd be hitting the pen...
Surprisingly, the cravings or temptations to go back to THC are almost non existent.
While I'm not sure I'll stay away from alcohol forever, I certainly recognize the need to change my relationship with it, and to limit when, where, and why I'm drinking.
I do however intend and hope to live the rest of my life free and clear from the grip that marijuana had on my life.
Overall, I feel happier, healthier, and indeed, liberated, from something that I truly believe was no longer providing me with any benefit, or was adding anything of value to my health or well being.
For everyone on the same or similar journey, I applaud your commitment to clean/sober living, and wish you all the best in your sobriety.
Thank you again for your support - best wishes to all.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, it's often said that if you have to control your alcohol intake, you're not in control.

I hope it doesn't ramp up for you, like many of us have found with our whack-a-mole pattern of addictive behaviors. I've gone back and forth with a few of them. It's the same old merry go round, different horse.

Welcome to the site and congrats on kicking the THC!