Notices

How are some alcoholics able to clean?

Old 10-18-2022, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How are some alcoholics able to clean?

I'm sober currently but I've always marvelled at people who can drink all day and the house is spotless!
Old 10-18-2022, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Old 10-18-2022, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use to love to drunk clean, drunk iron and also drunk cook. I had to relearn to do all those things sober.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have OCD so I cleaned while drinking. My issues around cleaning are much worse sober so I'm trying not to drive my family crazy keeping everything spotless. It's hard.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never missed a day of work while I was still drinking
Old 10-18-2022, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess by nature I'm a bit of a slob. Drinking will only magnify this. I don't care if everything is a mess because I can drink. I don't care if I'm big time in debt, I can drink, and so forth.

Just being sober itself for sure cut down on the mess that I make. Still I have to sometimes push myself a little to keep on top of things. Its like I have to be my own parent in a way. A voice in my head says come on Reckless you gotta at least clean the bathroom sink/counter tonight before you go online and play with your friends.

I have a life long friend that is not alcoholic and is the kind of person that always keeps everything spotless. My Mom was telling me that when we were toddlers i would play and be interactive and learn stuff like a healthy little boy. Then she would say come on boys its time to put away the toys. My friend would know exactly what to do and I would suddenly become completely lost. Just totally unable to grasp the concept of putting things away.

In many other areas of my life I have self discipline. Diet and exercise i stick to no problem. Cleaning though, even in recovery it can be a wrestling match just to force myself to do one little thing. Looking around though, this place is Disneyland compared to how I used to live!
Old 10-19-2022, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nearly 4 years sober and doing very well.

House is still a tip
Garden looks like a war zone
My (old) car is chaos inside and out

If some alcoholics have clean houses, I guess that’s part of their make up which will stay with them when they hopefully sober up. For me, I’m messy drunk or sober.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cleaning the house was not my bag, baby!
Old 10-22-2022, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ha ha I'm like Hodd - I don't keep the house up very well drinking or not.. I just hate housework..

Old 10-22-2022, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

^ 🤣🤣🤣 I did clean my kitchen today, so congratulations to me. My levels of slobbery have probably increased as a sober person! As well as the boring day job which I could do sober or drunk (no employee of the year awards for me), I now do a second job as my own boss which I actually care about plus I’m now active in a sporty way. I wouldn’t be doing the latter two if I was a drinker, so ironically I’ve got less time to clean!

Drunk + clean kitchen or sober + pigsty kitchen, I know what suits me best
Old 10-22-2022, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to clean a lot in my early early drinking days. I'm struggling with it now. I'm hoping that continued sobriety, I'll see more improvement in my motivation to be a more earnest, if not compulsive about cleaning.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's the thing about housework. You do it one day, then six months later it's back, AGAIN! 😂
Old 10-22-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

This thread is further help in dispelling the myth that there is such a thing as a stereotypical alcoholic. Alcohol is an equal opportunity destroyer. Alcoholism strikes across the entire kaleidoscopic spectrum that comprises humanity. Both slobs and the fastidiously neat can become alcoholic. :~)

In both my drunkenness and my sobriety, I am a neat freak at work...and at home, no way no how!!! Same way with punctuality.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SIB

Sober my place is very tidy, most importantly the kitchen, dishes done and put away, counters spick and span. Drunk? Disaster. Beer cans and packages all over the place, huge messes from not cleaning up after drunk cooking, dishes pilled up everywhere. When drunk the only thing I do is drink, nothing else gets done.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kes

I had to have a group of friends over to help clean the house before going into detox. There were over 200 empty cider bottles in the front room alone, and loads more all over the house. In the end I couldn't be bothered washing up so throw all the plates out. Before slipping into alcoholism, my hause was immaculate, I was a snappy dresser, showered twice a day everyday, cleaned my teeth twice a day, shaved everyday,and wore clean clothes everyday - alcohol took all this away. I was a mess and I didn't care so long as I had a drink.

Since I sobered up, I'm really proud to say I've pulled it all round and ereturned to my former self. It's great being able to function on a daily basis and keep my house and myself clean and tidy!

Alcohol is the devil, the pitts -It stripped me of self pride and respect., Bloody aweful stuff and a starkl reminder never to go back there again.