Notices

My story

Old 10-16-2022, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story

I've been an alcoholic for many years this past week I made a cry for help and went to detox my family wanted me to go to inpatient I just couldn't do it I have pets at home I don't want to lose my house or them so I'm trying to do this my own way I've lurked on this site for a long time. I plan to attend AA meetings via Zoom if it works I'm not if it was just for covid or if the link will actually work there's one at one today so I'm going to try. I see a lot of people get support here so I'm hoping I can do this
Old 10-16-2022, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kensie, you will find lots of support here, I know I sure have. SR has helped me a lot.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kensie, you can do this and you'll find lots of support here. It's always a good idea to have a plan for how you will stop drinking and stay sober. Certainly, posting here and reading other people's stories is a good start.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

to SR Kensie. Use SR to its fullest and you will have a good recovery action plan to follow.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support Alpine I think my family is disappointed in me but I want to show them that it is possible if I can't do it in my regular life then I don't think I'm going to succeed anyway.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

You can do this kensie12 and as you do, you will see disappointment being replaced by pride and joy, as you return to the person your family knows you to be. We all need help. That is why we are on this planet. Sometimes we give help. Sometimes we receive help. Through receiving help, we become able to help others. Help is a wonderful self propagating cycle. :~)
Old 10-16-2022, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You definitely can do this, and you'll be happier, too. I promise.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kensie, you CAN do this and you have to do it for yourself, which I know you know. I know Mr. A was sad/upset I went down the alcohol path but that did not stop me from drinking unfortunately. I had to "figure" it out on my own and I am slowly building myself back up. I know you said you "think" your family is disappointed in you and that may or may not be true ( I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful) but now is the time to focus on you and your thoughts and behaviors. I have found a supportive family here that completely understands what I/we are going through and offers the best support, insight, honest posts.We are here for you 100%
Old 10-16-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keep coming back.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kensie. SR is a great place. Post often.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for being here I just attended my first meeting via Zoom it was a little awkward I'm not used to it but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I'll try to attend in person when I can.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

If you want to talk about awkward, you should have seen my first attempt at riding a bicycle; but I got it as time went on.
Pretty much how my sobriety went as well.
You can do this kensie12. I have no doubts!!!
Old 10-16-2022, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kensie

D
Old 10-16-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Kensie, just a technical point about Zoom. You can just click on the link and see. You don’t need to turn your camera on or even your microphone. Don’t be shy about clicking on a Zoom link. You don’t need to have any special software, just a computer/phone with internet.

I use Zoom with students, and I’ve set it up so they go into a “waiting room”. Maybe groups do the same, but it’s not a big deal. The host will let you in.

If you have any Zoom questions, you can ask me Don’t let this stop you moving forward.

Edit……

DOH! I just saw your post above. Well done 👍
Old 10-17-2022, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
kes

Hi Kenzie,

Shame you can't do inpatient, it saved my life. I had to get a friend to look after my bulldogs for 10 days, which was heartbreaking, but the end justified the means for me, and I've been dry for 126 days to date.

Might be worth asking your doc for medication to help you through. They gave me librium in my detox (starting on 190mg per day) and it removed all the withdrawal symptoms - certainly worth asking. There's no way I'd have got through the first few days on my own, without having a seizure. The doc told me as much. Please make sure you do it safely.

Good luck and all the very best,

Kes
Old 10-17-2022, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kensie - I missed your first post yesterday. I'm so glad to meet you. SR saved me from trying to cope all alone.
It's great that you've made the decision to change your life. We know you can get free.
Hope you're doing ok today.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kes View Post
Hi Kenzie,

Shame you can't do inpatient, it saved my life. I had to get a friend to look after my bulldogs for 10 days, which was heartbreaking, but the end justified the means for me, and I've been dry for 126 days to date.

Might be worth asking your doc for medication to help you through. They gave me librium in my detox (starting on 190mg per day) and it removed all the withdrawal symptoms - certainly worth asking. There's no way I'd have got through the first few days on my own, without having a seizure. The doc told me as much. Please make sure you do it safely.

Good luck and all the very best,

Kes
Hi Kes,
I did go to detox and was given medication I was released last Friday I'm feeling pretty great and relying on the things that I think will work for me which is AA meetings at least one if not two a day via Zoom, my higher power & SR. Just my personal opinion but I feel like if I can't make it work in my real life everyday being away is it going to help me I'll just come home and drink like I have in the past so I'm trying something different this time fingers crossed so far it's been working.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hevyn - thank you for your support as of today I am doing well I'm doing it one day at a time as I know it's the only way! I'm trying to put as much effort into my sobriety as I did my drinking and it pretty much consumes my days for now meetings twice a day lots of reading and SR. I'm really enjoying not feeling like crap everyday!
Old 10-18-2022, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by kensie12 View Post
Hevyn - thank you for your support as of today I am doing well I'm doing it one day at a time as I know it's the only way! I'm trying to put as much effort into my sobriety as I did my drinking and it pretty much consumes my days for now meetings twice a day lots of reading and SR. I'm really enjoying not feeling like crap everyday!
Keep that good feeling rolling on and on down the road to happy density.
Here is a AA Step One Worksheet. Good effort = good results!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just to reinforce the idea it Can be done.
I have not been to rehab and have almost 3 years sober.
SR has been my lifeline.

Just Don't Drink Today

I'm not saying some don't need it but not everyone does.

My motto is Whatever Works