Notices

What to expect in 2nd month of sobriety

Old 11-01-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect in 2nd month of sobriety

I've had no problem finding information about what to expect in the first month of sobriety, but I'm finding it difficult to find information on month 2.

As I'm looking at beginning my second month sober, is there anything special to look for?

Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks in advance! ❤️🤗❤️
Old 11-01-2021, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are there common 2 month experiences that apply to everyone? If there is, I would stress, remembering to watch out for feeling like you have progressed to a point where you can now drink responsibly. This idea seems to occur to many who "know", well kind of "know" that they can't, but the idea seems to have so much appeal, that contrary to all that is known about alcoholism, they feel so good that they think they are the exception to the rule.

With one month under my belt, I knew I was done with alcohol, but I was still nervous about some unpredictable situation that would cause me to drink. So all my actions had to be overridden by The Prime Directive (think StarTrek); DO NOT DRINK. You can play all the mind games you want, and make all those fubar compromises with yourself, and no matter how good or reasonable they sound, DON'T DRINK! You will then be OK.

Beyond that, month two was like month one, perhaps with a tad more feeling of security. But I never forgot that as alcoholics, all of us will walk on the edge forever. But as long as you observe The Prime Directive, you're going to be OK. I believe my second month was when I focused on learning to get rid of my resentments once and for all. Actually, I won't lie and say I have none, but they are now all manageable, and I do longer allow the squatters to live in my head rent free. But you may have other issues you might prefer to work on.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What driguy said.

Don't become complacent. Don't believe the AV when it says you can have just one or you did a whole month you can control it now. etc.

Once you get to the point alcohol is negatively affecting your life I believe you have reached the point of no return. As in we can never control our drinking. Now or ever.

One Month sober is awesome and can be one of the hardest times so Congratulations!

Do Not Drink
No Matter What

Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My month 2 didn’t feel much different from my month 1 In fact, for me, each month that went by only slooooowly got better…By month 6 or 7 was when things finally started to improve…again only slooowly did it get there… but it got there.

Keep it up…it will get better.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

What I remember about beginning the second month of recovery was being so surprised I had made it through a month. I had tried so hard, for so long, and finally I was doing it. At the same time, I knew I was just starting my journey and I had a long way to go.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As month 2 arrived for me boredom was the biggest danger... I found In month 2 I wasn’t thinking so much about alcohol as month 1, so had a lot more free time (it was the first lockdown, soooo a lot of free time). But month 2 can be an amazing month...you can shape what you want your sober life to look like...you can make plans for the money your saving, how healthy you want to be with diet and exercise...start planning for a new job or a qualification....you don’t have to follow through immediately the plans could be for months and years ahead. I found it really important to reinforce my sobriety with positive goals...kept me motivated for the inevitable AV days.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't remember my 2nd month. My only goal was to not drink now and if that worked, I was good for another day.
Stick with it because it only gets better. A lot better!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

GramCracker, I’ve just been looking through my old notes to see if I could help in anyway. Mine seem to be full of drinking dreams. I think it’s quite common whilst we’re starving the AV from what it wants.

I was told two things that stayed with me in the first few months. (Besides not having a drink)!

Keep to your own side of the street and ……don’t make any big life changing decisions for 12 months (unless you’re in danger).
Old 11-02-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Are there common 2 month experiences that apply to everyone? If there is, I would stress, remembering to watch out for feeling like you have progressed to a point where you can now drink responsibly. This idea seems to occur to many who "know", well kind of "know" that they can't, but the idea seems to have so much appeal, that contrary to all that is known about alcoholism, they feel so good that they think they are the exception to the rule.

With one month under my belt, I knew I was done with alcohol, but I was still nervous about some unpredictable situation that would cause me to drink. So all my actions had to be overridden by The Prime Directive (think StarTrek); DO NOT DRINK. You can play all the mind games you want, and make all those fubar compromises with yourself, and no matter how good or reasonable they sound, DON'T DRINK! You will then be OK.

Beyond that, month two was like month one, perhaps with a tad more feeling of security. But I never forgot that as alcoholics, all of us will walk on the edge forever. But as long as you observe The Prime Directive, you're going to be OK. I believe my second month was when I focused on learning to get rid of my resentments once and for all. Actually, I won't lie and say I have none, but they are now all manageable, and I do longer allow the squatters to live in my head rent free. But you may have other issues you might prefer to work on.
DriGuy, great advice. I know I can never drink responsibly so the forever is branded into my brain. I will be on high alert though!

Regrets...I have many, but through therapy, I've been able to deal with them. I do regret wasting time drinking when I could have been with my grandchildren, that's one that's hard for me to deal with...I'll make sure to bring it up at my next session.

I am nervous about unpredictable situations (like when my daughter accidentally FaceTimed me). There was no way I could predict that on! Working on my recovery plan and reading the plans of others has helped me identify some triggers that I've added to my plan. For the unpredictable, all I have is "DO NOT DRINK!!!!!, which should work until I come up with something more tangible.

Thank you for your great comments!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
What driguy said.

Don't become complacent. Don't believe the AV when it says you can have just one or you did a whole month you can control it now. etc.

Once you get to the point alcohol is negatively affecting your life I believe you have reached the point of no return. As in we can never control our drinking. Now or ever.

One Month sober is awesome and can be one of the hardest times so Congratulations!

Do Not Drink
No Matter What
Thank you so much Fishkiller!

Even though I have decided to never drink, I can see how complacency can come into play so I will make sure to be on the lookout!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Introvrtd1 View Post
My month 2 didn’t feel much different from my month 1 In fact, for me, each month that went by only slooooowly got better…By month 6 or 7 was when things finally started to improve…again only slooowly did it get there… but it got there.

Keep it up…it will get better.
I don't know how long you've been sober, Introvrtd, but it must be more than 7 months, so congratulations!!!

I'll be pleased if my month 2 isn't much different that my month 1, Introvrtd. I know it's a slow process and even though 1 month is a milestone for me, the road ahead is long.

Thank you for your comments!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
What I remember about beginning the second month of recovery was being so surprised I had made it through a month. I had tried so hard, for so long, and finally I was doing it. At the same time, I knew I was just starting my journey and I had a long way to go.
Yes, Anna, I too am surprised as I've also tried so many times, and I'm very aware that this is just the beginning. Thank you for the support!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting the Gram. I too am into month number 2. I have to have the mindset of Do no Drink.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
I don't remember my 2nd month. My only goal was to not drink now and if that worked, I was good for another day.
Stick with it because it only gets better. A lot better!
Thank you for the encouragement, Controls! I'm looking forward to things getting "a lot" better!😄
Old 11-02-2021, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
GramCracker, I’ve just been looking through my old notes to see if I could help in anyway. Mine seem to be full of drinking dreams. I think it’s quite common whilst we’re starving the AV from what it wants.

I was told two things that stayed with me in the first few months. (Besides not having a drink)!

Keep to your own side of the street and ……don’t make any big life changing decisions for 12 months (unless you’re in danger).
Thank you, Mags...

I've not had a single drinking dream since I quit, or at least one that I can remember. In fact, if I am dreaming, I don't recall any of then. Which is interesting because while I was drinking, I had incredibly crazy dreams. Since I was a child, my dreams have always been very vivid and on the wild side.

Noted and added to my recovery journal - Keep to my side of the street and no life changing decisions for 12 months.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I've added a few things to my recovery journal and am so grateful you took the time to comment! ❤️🤗❤️

Old 11-02-2021, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gram - thanks for the post. I’m in my second month too, and feel like the advice and insight here is great!

Old 11-02-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think boredom can be a problem and you have to open your mind a bit and think of healthy ways to spend your time, this is a transitional thing until you settle in to your own groove. I also felt pretty emotional without the alcohol shield.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I found the second month really long.. not sure why. I remember asking here on day 51 how long it would take to stop being obsessed with quiting. Obviously I got the usual 'it is too early' which made me feel even more impatient and frustrated. Like you, my feeling was that I could entertain my new sober me with information of what to expect day by day and week by week during month 1 and then... nothing!
There is no great insight I can provide, just sympathy. It felt long. The novelty of quitting disappears; there are no significant short-term gains. But every day is infinitely better than any of the drinking days before quitting. It becomes a trajectory rather than reaching milestones. Every day not drinking is a day on the right trajectory. Just this morning (2 years and almot 4 months sober) I was reflecting on how much better mentally and physically I felt. I looked at myself at my mirror and I saw myself as an attractive happy person... that thought, after so much shame and self-hatred, almost suprised me. But it is true. You are on the right trajectory now and what you can expect for everyday without drinking is a new morning feeling grateful you did not drink the day before until you are actually happy to meet yourself in the mirror.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

As Fishkiller says, don’t become complacent. I’m nearly at 3 years and still have cravings, so 2 months is a risky time.

My biggest memory is how certain situations are massive triggers. I had a family issue on day 55, and every cell in my body cried out for alcohol. I also flew abroad in month 2 or 3, and the triggers all kicked in. I wasn’t particularly prepared, and it was more by luck that I didn’t drink.