Notices

What to expect in 2nd month of sobriety

Old 11-04-2021, 09:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with DriGuy! Today I am on day 67 of being sober, and what I struggle the most with are thoughts that tell me I can drink responsibly again. I also counter them with DO NOT DRINK, in this moment, and the next moment, etc. When my mind projects out beyond this moment, I bring it back to this moment and remind myself that all I need to do is NOT DRINK NOW.
I would say that also my emotions are closer to the surface these days. I started a new job last week and at the end of a long and physically tiring 9 hour shift, I dropped and spilled two containers of broccoli cheese soup in the walk-in refrigerator, and oddly enough a memory of my mom came up (very tough emotionally for me to process) and I felt "flight/fight." I asked my manager for help, and when he helped me I burst into tears. It was awkward! When we closed up and left work, I did share with him that I am newly sober, but of course I started crying again. He was kind and compassionate, but he did share the moment with my General Manager, who checked in with me the next day of work. She told me that she appreciated my hard work and that I really care about the job, (this is why she thought I cried) and I just left it at that.
In sobriety I find that my emotions are sometimes less manageable when I don't aerobically exercise at the start of the day, take my vitamins, (I take amino's and adaptogens that are supposed to help the brain heal from alcohol use disorder) eat a good breakfast (and healthy, regular meals the rest of the day to prevent low blood sugar situations), and regular sleep 8-9 hours a night. I need this structure for good emotional sobriety. I also make sure to get up around the same time every day (within 30 minutes) and 3 hours before having to work, so that I have some time to myself to prepare for the day ahead.
In this second month I do feel calmer, more at ease in my body, I am continuing to lose weight gained through daily drinking, lack of exercise, and disordered eating; and I feel joyful about living my day-to-day life! I find that I seek out connecting with people instead of isolation, and I feel hopeful about the future even though I encourage myself to live life in the present, moment by moment.
I'm sorry for this long reply, but I hope that it helps! I am grateful for you and our community of sober folks! I hope that your day today is sober and beautiful!