Notices

Drunk texting reflections on 12 days sober

Old 01-09-2021, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk texting reflections on 12 days sober

Hi all, just hit day 12. Feeling absolutely zero depression and anxiety pangs only slightly and infrequently during the day. It’s a great feeling.

I remember waking up of mornings in absolute horror, dreading to look at my phone to see what shenanigans I’d been up to the night before - who I’d spoken to, what I’d said. Texts I sent ranged from overly and cringingly loving to outright abusive and twisted - of course, being the drunken coward I was, during the night I’d send a text I’d often delete it and would instead wake up to an understandably annoyed/upset response, with little to no idea what had been said to prompt that. It’s so amazing that the past 12 days I’ve not had to deal with that, and neither has anybody else.

Phones should come with a disclaimer - not to be used by active alcoholics! I joke, of course (kinda) but it took me a while to understand that it wasn’t the the technology that was the problem but myself and my drinking. I’m so happy to leave those dark times in the past and luckily get to move forward with most of my relationships intact!

Old 01-09-2021, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember Beer Goggles? You might be too young to have needed that but there was a system available on Google I think it was that disabled your ability to buy stuff online for XX number of hours.

It was before iPhones, but I bet there are apps to stop the drunk texting and inappropriate picture-sending - of which most of us are guilty when under the influence, I'm sure. Same with random weird facebook posting.

Yeah, I haven't done that while sober. That's a good thing.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue;[url=tel:7572253
7572253[/url]]Remember Beer Goggles? You might be too young to have needed that but there was a system available on Google I think it was that disabled your ability to buy stuff online for XX number of hours.

It was before iPhones, but I bet there are apps to stop the drunk texting and inappropriate picture-sending - of which most of us are guilty when under the influence, I'm sure. Same with random weird facebook posting.

Yeah, I haven't done that while sober. That's a good thing.
Its great that being sober I don’t need such apps etc - very refreshing! Even if someone irritates me now, I think better of it before hitting the send button and usually cool off within a few minutes and don’t feel so quite irritated. It’s liberating!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drunk texts are the worst. They were so embarrassing and made me feel horrible inside. It's definitely a good reminder though - alcohol turns us into a person we don't want to be!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For those times we drank because we were bored... the obsession had us brain washed to believe that alcohol would fix boredom.

Yet we were having so much fun drinking that we found nothing better to do but send text messages.

The insanity of this disease!
Old 01-09-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I had the exact same problem... I'd delete stuff and have no idea what I said or did.
oh the anxiety it caused.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I disabled my Facebook account and keep very few contacts in my phone for this exact reason. I only ever used Facebook when I was drunk at 3am and posting cringe-worthy messages on people"s pages haha. I'm in my mid-40's and would message old girlfriends from high school....
Old 01-09-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife;[url=tel:7572492
7572492[/url]]I disabled my Facebook account and keep very few contacts in my phone for this exact reason. I only ever used Facebook when I was drunk at 3am and posting cringe-worthy messages on people"s pages haha. I'm in my mid-40's and would message old girlfriends from high school....
I regularly used to delete numbers before a drinking spree just so I wouldn’t call/text when I was off my skull! It’s crazy - I’d then have to wait for people to text me just so I had their numbers again and then would have to guess who it was. I really don’t want to go back there again...
Old 01-09-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock;[url=tel:7572490
7572490[/url]]I had the exact same problem... I'd delete stuff and have no idea what I said or did.
oh the anxiety it caused.
Its the worst feeling in the world... the cold sweat that breaks out worrying about what you’ve said or done. Thank god we don’t have to put ourselves through that again!
Old 01-09-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember a saying "under the influence members of the opposite sex may appear for more attractive then they actually are."
Old 01-09-2021, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lpg

Snapchat was my thing when I was wasted, i thought it was great because it deleted after the video/image/messages where sent & viewed so I had no idea what I'd been upto there.... Until I'd go into work & everyone in the staff room was talking about my drunken videos, surprised I didn't hand in my notice of resignation i used to dread going in some mornings. Can feel my face get red at the thought.

No interest in Snapchat now
Old 01-09-2021, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAten View Post
I regularly used to delete numbers before a drinking spree just so I wouldn’t call/text when I was off my skull! It’s crazy - I’d then have to wait for people to text me just so I had their numbers again and then would have to guess who it was. I really don’t want to go back there again...
Haha! Yep. I'll get a text out of the blue and play a guessing game whose number it is. Usually, I just say I have new phone with no contacts downloaded and ask who it is.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its the worst feeling in the world... the cold sweat that breaks out worrying about what you’ve said or done. Thank god we don’t have to put ourselves through that again!
Absolutely awful anxiety. I am so grateful to be sober.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 and I've never regretted waking up in the morning sober.
If told someone the prior night they were my number "one" fan I remember it.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 12 days sober! I’ve never once sent a text I regret since I’ve been sober.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife;[url=tel:7572788
7572788[/url]]Haha! Yep. I'll get a text out of the blue and play a guessing game whose number it is. Usually, I just say I have new phone with no contacts downloaded and ask who it is.
Haha yes I’m the same. At my worst in drink I even seriously considered getting rid of a phone rather than stop drinking! When I reflect on some of my ways of thinking when I was drinking, I sound like a mad man!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep, Been there, done that....But not in 2 weeks. It feels so good to not have to piece the night before together and check my phone for clues. Hopefully, I will never have to do that again! Not that I am glad you had once been that way but it sure makes me less alone to think there are others out there who had done that as well. Have a great day!
Old 01-10-2021, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wholeself;[url=tel:7573056
7573056[/url]]Yep, Been there, done that....But not in 2 weeks. It feels so good to not have to piece the night before together and check my phone for clues. Hopefully, I will never have to do that again! Not that I am glad you had once been that way but it sure makes me less alone to think there are others out there who had done that as well. Have a great day!
Oh no I fully understand - it really does help to know you’re far from the only one who does such things! We don’t ever have to go through it again if we stay sober 🙂
Old 01-10-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

I did this too... lots.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I got anxious after drinking, knowing that i might have sent something stupid via sms. Being sober after the first on january it feels great.
Not having to check my smartphone to see what i might have sent to people while drunk. Keep up the good work TheAten, we're here with you and i hope you're here with me coming from someone who has smsed wrong things while drunk