Notices

Drunk texting reflections on 12 days sober

Old 01-14-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Waking up with your loved ones looking at you with pain and horror, then trying to remember what you might have said or done. Never again!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vik88 View Post
I got anxious after drinking, knowing that i might have sent something stupid via sms. Being sober after the first on january it feels great.
Not having to check my smartphone to see what i might have sent to people while drunk. Keep up the good work TheAten, we're here with you and i hope you're here with me coming from someone who has smsed wrong things while drunk
Thank you so much and you’re right, it is a great feeling not having to check! I used to hate my smartphone - I actually blamed the phone for the problems! It couldn’t possibly be alcohol and me, it had to be the phones fault! Oh, dear!

I’m here with you 🙂 18 days today! Let’s do this together and with everyone else.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvchunk;[url=tel:7575321
7575321[/url]]Waking up with your loved ones looking at you with pain and horror, then trying to remember what you might have said or done. Never again!
Mental torture on a grand scale, self-inflicted. Madness!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheAten View Post
Thank you so much and you’re right, it is a great feeling not having to check! I used to hate my smartphone - I actually blamed the phone for the problems! It couldn’t possibly be alcohol and me, it had to be the phones fault! Oh, dear!

I’m here with you 🙂 18 days today! Let’s do this together and with everyone else.
Great to hear. Thank you, we will beat this problem together
Old 01-15-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a pro at this. I drank alone most of the time. I'd sit in the garage and get wasted nightly, black out & then get on my phone & it was all downhill from there. I've mortified myself on social media too many times to count, which also meant I in turn embarrassed my family members as well. The texts....those wore the worst. I would go from emotion to emotion and at times lash out to people who did not deserve 3am hate texts from drunk me. It got bad. I caused a lot of damage to relationships that mean a lot to me because of my late night drunk phone antics.

Now that I'm sober there is no dread in the morning when I look at my phone. No anxiety. It is by far, one of the biggest positive changes in my life. I am thankful for this all the time when I wake up and it often brings a smile to my face. My life is so much calmer now. I'm just so thankful for my sobriety. So thankful!

Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I did this also and it was always the same people I'd text. So embarrassing!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who replied to this. It really makes you feel less like the worst person in the world when you know you aren’t uniquely horrid and many others have done the same. It’s funny that when sober I never send a text o regret - sure, sometimes I send something that sounds funny in my mind but immediately read it beck and cringe and follow up to that person, but that always results in a laugh from both parties. Being sober and not having to wake up with existential dread when looking at my phone has reduced my anxiety to nil! Thanks again all for sharing!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing as well.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Been on the receiving end of drunken texts!

Hi guys, it was interesting to read your thread because I've been on the receiving end of abusive texts and drunken voicenotes and I can tell you, it's not very nice!!! My partner has a problematic relationship with alcohol and I have forgiven him for doing this. He couldn't even remember what he had said to me and was mortified. He was truly sorry and felt awful about it (well I hope he is genuinely sorry and not manipulative). I've chosen to forgive him but believe me, it's awful to be on the receiving end. Well done on getting sober.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Allabouteve;[url=tel:7576332
7576332[/url]]Hi guys, it was interesting to read your thread because I've been on the receiving end of abusive texts and drunken voicenotes and I can tell you, it's not very nice!!! My partner has a problematic relationship with alcohol and I have forgiven him for doing this. He couldn't even remember what he had said to me and was mortified. He was truly sorry and felt awful about it (well I hope he is genuinely sorry and not manipulative). I've chosen to forgive him but believe me, it's awful to be on the receiving end. Well done on getting sober.
I can only imagine how awful it is AAE, and believe me, it’s horrifying and shameful to look back on some of the stuff I sent and said. There are no excuses for it, and after offering profuse and unconditional apologies, the only way forward to prove my remorse was to change. I’m glad this thread helped someone on the receiving end as well as those who have done this. Just as an aside - when I sent abuse and bile, it very often had little to nothing to do with the person I was sending it to; mostly, it was projection, as the ugly feelings I held inside that I felt about myself would be projected into the world and anyone in the firing line would receive that hate. Absolutely unreasonable and inexcusable, but the truth. The point being, please, please, please don’t take it personally, no matter how much it hurts. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with that person.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Gawd, I don't miss the stuff I did hammered. I'd get going each afternoon, I'd light the drunk flamethrower that was my iPhone and lay waste to the countryside. The horror each morning was unbearable. But that afternoon, I'd rinse and repeat and do it all again. shm . . . Allabouteve there is nothing I can say that would justify any of it. I'm sorry you have been on the receiving end of it.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Originally Posted by kateobr View Post
I was a pro at this. I drank alone most of the time. I'd sit in the garage and get wasted nightly, black out & then get on my phone & it was all downhill from there. I've mortified myself on social media too many times to count, which also meant I in turn embarrassed my family members as well. The texts....those wore the worst. I would go from emotion to emotion and at times lash out to people who did not deserve 3am hate texts from drunk me. It got bad. I caused a lot of damage to relationships that mean a lot to me because of my late night drunk phone antics.

Now that I'm sober there is no dread in the morning when I look at my phone. No anxiety. It is by far, one of the biggest positive changes in my life. I am thankful for this all the time when I wake up and it often brings a smile to my face. My life is so much calmer now. I'm just so thankful for my sobriety. So thankful!

Thank you for sharing!
Even though I am only on day 5, I feel just as thankful. I feel your passion - and I absolutely love your t-shirt. No more walking dangerous streets at night.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I do the same TheAten, silly jokes but those closest to me understand those though sometimes i have to explain it though, to new friends. What i've learnt here is that we shouldnt let our silly jokes give us some anxienty because your friends and those include us, understand that jokes are just what it is. but if we need help, i got this great community and so do you
Old 01-27-2021, 03:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Seems a lot of us have been there. Thankfully, with grace, we don't have to be in that place ever again.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

There were a bunch of times I blacked out and sent texts to all sorts of people. I also did things that caused people to defriend me and they wouldn't tell me why. I wonder if when you die all the stupid **** you did while blacked out flashes before your eyes!
All the best
Old 01-27-2021, 05:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Guilty! I enjoy looking at my phone in the morning now!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

God this was the maybe the worst part of the drinking toward the end. Definitely did some damage
Old 01-27-2021, 09:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifewithart;[url=tel:7582470
7582470[/url]]There were a bunch of times I blacked out and sent texts to all sorts of people. I also did things that caused people to defriend me and they wouldn't tell me why. I wonder if when you die all the stupid **** you did while blacked out flashes before your eyes!
All the best
I think this may be the case if you don’t change - however, if you do, like most of us here are striving to do, I think your triumphs and redemption will be the movie you see.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vincent484 View Post
God this was the maybe the worst part of the drinking toward the end. Definitely did some damage
Thus is also the truth for me. I had an intense fear of the same phone I’m using right now to type this reply; all that fear has gone. When sober, I like and trust myself, but I’ll try to never forget the feeling I had when drinking and the rotten things I said - another tool to show me I’ve made the right decision. So far, there are zero reasons showing me it isn’t a good not to drink!