Notices

Unemployed Loser

Old 03-02-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unemployed Loser

Don't waste your time and money getting an education - especially one that benefits society in any sort of substantial way.

You'll get fleeced by the system.
Go to trade school at most and be greedy / selfish.
Also just don't drink at all. Also don't have depression - it's not an illness, it's a you problem.

If these words hurt, I hate to tell you this, but the real world sucks.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel ya, i do. I went to college, nothing to show for it. Well a piece of paper. But at least for me, i think it could have helped if i wasnt drunk half my life. I think it may have helped me. Who knows. The real world does suck a lot. But there are good parts too. I hope you start seeing those good parts. I am starting to to. Its a process. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are falling back into negative thinking mode. That's a ticket back to the bottle.

I hope you choose to redirect your energy TWTOM--do you really want to go back down that rabbit hole?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

are you drinking now?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
are you drinking now?
No.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Any way to get medicaid to pay for my root canal on my front tooth? Being healthy is kind of important for job interviewing.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you need to check the Medicaid coverage offered in your state.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ouch TWTOM. I don't know about medicaid, but if there are any dental schools within driving distance, call and tell them you have a root canal for the students to practice. Also, check out financing programs at your local dentist. There are so many options for financing now that are very very forgiving and low interest, that did not exist even 5 years ago. I hope you can get that taken care of.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Don't waste your time and money getting an education - especially one that benefits society in any sort of substantial way.

Also just don't drink at all. Also don't have depression - it's not an illness, it's a you problem.

I'm sorry you are feeling bad TWTOM. I don't think your words would hurt, surprise or shock anyone on SR. If us SR folks have nothing else in common, we are all deeply immersed in the real world in all of its arbitrary meanness. Don't drink TWTOM. Stay with us and good for you for posting. We are on your side.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I worked in the "helping" professions TWTOM and know what you mean. Wish I could have been a carpenter but girls weren't offered apprenticeships when I was a girl. I could be making a motza today but who knows my drinking would have probably screwed it up and would have lost a finger under the blade of a saw.

Affordable dental work too. Hope you take up on the suggestions offered by Surrendered. Hope you get a job. If we're me and it's your front tooth I'd pour all energy into getting your tooth fixed. A really good plan, even if you have to borrow money. It will do heaps for your confidence and esteem as well. Hit the job market with a smile.

I've felt as you do TWTOM, particularly the disappointment about the greed and selfishness we see on a daily basis. We don't have to be like that. In fact we resist it with a smile.

Our thinking can change TWTOM but we need sobriety for this to occur.

Onwards we go.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post

Hang in there, better days ahead. I'm in a trade and the saying goes " Learn a trade, that way you will know what kind of work you will be out of)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was funny Abraham. But so true.

What trade would you have liked TWTOM?
Old 03-02-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in the HVAC trade for a while building metal in the shop and doing a lot of ductwork hanging and trim in the field.

I was laid off because we were "low on work." But really I was laid off because I don't fit in and they knew about my alcoholism.
When there is money on the line, basic human decency goes out the window.

By the way, I have two technical degrees. One in physics and the other in mechanical engineering.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll keep searching for a job you love and one where you can use your advanced knowledge, Chris.

Sorry about the tooth but like Surrendered said I went the dental school route - no problems.

You're not a loser - you're taking on addiction and beating it

D
Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Did you think the real world sucked when you decided to pursue work that had value and benefitted society? Or is the world the same, and your simply down in a valley looking up at the chaos above?

Is your employer going to give you a good reference ?

And don't let this go to your head, but a comment you left me on Friday was helpful. I allowed some positive thought in. I guess you still benefit society even if your not being paid.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My employer probably ***** me every time he gets a call about me.
I don't trust him - I never did. He was always about how much work he could get out of people right here, right now. Not about how much those people could grow and be contributing members to his company.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

And don't let this go to your head, but a comment you left me on Friday was helpful. I allowed some positive thought in. I guess you still benefit society even if your not being paid.
Chris, you completely missed this in your reply.

Not every good thing we do has a monetary value - and you're not a loser/good for nothing.

D
  # 18 (permalink)  

you can always state which employers to check for references and which not to call. i also think it's helpful that if you were drinking at that last job, it's quite likely that had a LOT to do with your separation, not just because they didn't like you. were you always 100% on the job? every day? just curious.

as far as looking for work, i'm afraid if you don't work on transforming your outlook you are not doing yourself ANY favors. your negativity oozes out of this post, your "loser" mentality, and your poor outlook towards past and future employers. recruiters can "see" that - from your resume to your voice. and it will certainly be apparent in any interview. i certainly wouldn't put someone who had such a poor self image and outlook in the call back pile!

my point is you CAN do a lot to improve your hire-ability. but you have to WANT to get hired and then play the job game. kinda like getting sober....you can't half ass it and expect to reap the benefits.
  # 19 (permalink)  

With your credentials, have you tried using a headhunter?
Old 03-02-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Chris, you completely missed this in your reply.

Not every good thing we do has a monetary value - and you're not a loser/good for nothing.

D
Exactly !

And I signed in to deal with more, so get yourself together soon.