Notices

hi I'm new here and new to AA

Old 11-28-2004, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

hi I'm new here and new to AA

hi like i said im new here and new to AA i have been to one meeting. i am one week sober. any helpful advice anyone has would be great!! I'm willing to listen. I also just started reading the book alcoholics anonymous given to me at my first meeting. please respond if you have any encourging words. the only person really helping me right now if my boyfriend all the rest of my friends dont really take me seriously on this bc im only 23. and they all drink so i find it hard to go out with them still. they dont seem to have a problem its just me. i cant control myself when i drink.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME H.P.GLAD YOUR HERE.
MY ADVICE,DON'T DRINK,GO TO MEETINGS,GET A SPONSOR,WORK THE STEPS.
IT WORKS FOR MILLIONS IT CAN WORK FOR YOU ALSO.
KEEP COMING BACK!!!............ted
Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

How do i choose a sponsor?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WHEN YOUR AT A MEETING,LOOK FOR SOMEONE(PREFERABLY SAME SEX)THAT HAS WHAT YOU WANT;HAPPY,JOYOUS,FREE
SOMEONE WHO IS WORKING A GOOD RECOVERY PROGAM,HAS A SPONSOR,WORKING THE STEPS.
YOU JUST ASK THEM,IF THEY CAN,THEY WOULD BE HONORED TO DO IT.
YOU SEE IT HELPS THEM STAY SOBER ALSO.
YOU CAN GET A TEMPORARY ONE TO GET YOU STARTED.
DON'T SWEAT IT,YOU CAN DO IT!!!.............ted
Old 11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

thanks ted you have been very helpful and so has this site so far i'll be here for the long hull. i'm excited to be here and making this big step in my life
Old 11-28-2004, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

:bravo
Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Hi Heidi! Richard here, recovering alcoholic.

I'm glad you came to Sober Recovery. This place and the people here are fantastic!

Ted's advice is right on the money. AA is great place where you'll be surrounded by people who know exactly what your going through.

I also exercise, take vitamins, and try to eat as healthy as possible.

For me, it was important to stay away from people who were drinking, especially early in my recovery.

As for a sponser, alot of people will be along soon to offer you advice. For me, it was just a person with enough sobriety (at least a couple of years) with whom I felt a connection.

Hang in there!

Bright Blessings!

Richard
Old 11-28-2004, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome HP! We need more sober people in the Detroit metro area that's for sure. I am glad you found S.R. and glad you have already gone to an A.A. meeting. A.A. has made a major difference in my life.

Jah Bless
Old 11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

thank you both for your help yes i do workout on a daily basis. and that helps me feel good about myself! i'll have to work on that sponsor thing. i have only been to one meeting and dont really feel comfortable yet. but i guess that will come in time
Old 11-28-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

wow your from orchard lake i'm actually from rochester hills. i really enjoyed going to the meeting i was nervous at first but it was nice meeting people who felt the same way i did.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey HP Welcome.All we need to do now is get Doug in here and you guys can have Michigan reunion.Anyway,I was a little uncomfortable at meetings myself at first.That will pass and they will become like family.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

yea i figured so. it always just takes time. i usually open up once i get to know people. wow i didnt think i would meet anyone else from michigan that is reassuring also to know that there are so many people in my area!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have met people on here from Portland,Oregon where I live.Its a small world,and SR has a lotta members and is growing everyday.Keep hitting those meetings,it will get easier.It also helps to come early and stay late.If the other members invite you for coffee go.Before you know it,you will have life long friends.I love AA and go everyday.The best friends I have ever had are people from AA and NA.I also go to a lot of activities they have like Campouts,picnics,and dances.Anyway,I am glad your here.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

i do find that i'm the youngest member of my group, that does make me feel a little out of place but i'm sure as i get comfortable that wont matter as much. hanging out, out of the meetings yea i can see that being a good thing. i really look forward to getting to know you all and all the new people i will meet on here! and in meetings!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sound good Heidi.I think you will like it here.I know I do.I come here everyday.Check out the "welcome to the newbee bus" thread and meet some of the other ladies in here too.Take care and see ya around.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

yes you take care and i hope to talk to you again soon
Old 11-28-2004, 05:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Heidi and welcome!
I'm very happy you have sought out help at such a young age, sure wish I had that type of courage, or at least knew when I was that old. It's hard I know being around people that's life purpose for the weekend or during the week is to go partying, but I know several ladies who got sober at your age and have over 20 years of sobriety. So if you wonder if it can be done, the answer is yes! Take your time, read the BB, go to meetings, share when you feel like it and as mentioned, look for a sponsor. There are varying opinions on this as to how soon, mine is to take your time and find the right one. There is no hurry. Here is a link that will help. We're glad your here!
http://alcohol411.info/What%20To%20L...%20Sponsor.htm
Old 11-28-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Meetings Coordinator

that is very good news to hear that people my age can and i know i will do it!! i want to be happy in my life and make sure my boyfriend is too!! all the help i can get i will take. that is why i looked up this website and so far its been great. i have gotten alot of messages and that is always encouraging!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
one of many

Hey there,

I'm 23 as well and I decided to get clean in Oct. I've had to share on here a lot with these folks about how difficult it is dealing with roomates/friends/girlfriends when you are in recovery. For me it was impossible. They say that your friends will get you high before you get them sober, and that is so true.

Things are different now. I decided to stop playing around with my life and do the right thing. I went to an NA meeting just to see what it was like. Now I'm clean and I've got a fellowship of friends who's primary purpose is to keep me sober. This is what I was seeking for so many years. A place where I could be myself without the drugs. Do yourself a favor and go check a meeting out.

We had a medallion meeting last night, and this guy got his 18 years clean medal. He found recovery when he was 21. I sure wish I would have

Chris
Old 11-30-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T