Notices

Chronic daily drinker wanting to quit...

Old 12-05-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is an adventure.

Chronic daily drinker wanting to quit...

I've been posting on here for a few years now documenting many failed attempts to ditch the booze.

I drink daily, usually sleep till midday and then walk to the shop to buy alcohol (I darent risk driving as I feel I will forever be over the limit and I want to be safe).

My question is, as a daily heavy drinker of beer and cider, is there any safe way to quit at home without going to rehab? I can't afford it and would much rather ride it out at home if possible. I understand the dangers but has anyone managed it and if there are any tips they would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep trying. I have failed a lot of times to and I am with you on trying to get better. Today was another day 1 for me. This place seems promising so far, to be honest. Everyone is pretty thoughtful and helpful.

So I guess my answer is, just keep coming here? I guess that's a place to start.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to your doctor before you stop drinking because detoxing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous. Many of us have detoxed at home and it's really just basically taking care of yourself. Be sure to drink a lot of water, rest when you can and try to get a little exercise.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would speak to your DR, NJS. They'll be able to give you some options.

D
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

Thank you for the advice. I'm preparing to quit this weekend. I can't remember the last time I was able to leave the house in the morning and get into my car to drive somewhere. I really do enjoy driving (I even used to do it for a job) but always too intoxicated to ever risk it these days. Thankfully a shop is in walking distance so i'm never tempted.

​​​​​It's a weird old thing alcoholism. I've had a relationship with booze for many years but i'm happy to say, it's a relationship i'm very much looking forward to leaving behind moving into a new decade.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is a great day to quit. I did go cold turkey from a VERY severe habit and it was quite rough; it can be very dangerous and even if you aren't drinking as much as I was, it's still best to have help.

What are your plans for your first day sober? Whatever I needed to do in order not to drink was on the table - alcohol was the only thing off.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there :)

How much were you drinking a day if you don't mind me asking?

Also, how did you find the cold turkey experience? That's what i'm thinking of doing for the last time. Obviously i'm aware of the usual night sweats, racing heart beat, irritability, shakes etc. Did you experience anything else?

What benefits did you experience apart from the obvious?

Thank you for your support!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My journey was harrowing. Clearly, the handle to handle and a half (largest US size bottle) of vodka every day, day and a half, impacted the severity of what I endured....but the amount is not always indicative of what we go thru. My choice to go cold turkey was dangerous, more so than I realized at the time, but I would do it again if I had to start back in Feb 2016 - BUT I will not be able to actually do it again. I just cannot take it, literally, not to mention emotionally and psychological.

I had a kernel of hope that whatever life would be like sober, it had to be better than the "life" I had. And that has proven true beyond anything I can describe succinctly here!

I'd suggest you look up kindling, if you don't know of it. Essentially, we learn that repeated starts keep getting harder, to put it mildly. I can't stress enough my conviction that we do not get infinite chances to quit. Our bodies cannot take it.

I'd also look up PAWS - here is a piece shared a long time ago that clicked for me -
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

The essential take away should be that quitting now is the best plan.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my case I was knocking back 18 12 oz +/- a few on a daily basis. I was lucky because I experienced insomnia and constipation but my friends son who was quitting at the same time had it a lot worse. I believe there was a trip to the ER, a six week in patient and then followed by out patient. So I guess it depends on the individual and you should probably contact your Dr.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello,

Congrats on trying to get Sober- I normally end up in the ER intoxicated.
I left drank one more day and then it took me 72 hours to feel human.
I had two days prior on withdrawal meds. Are you near an urgent care
maybe you can tell them you are withdrawing from alcohol and they can help.
How far are you from urgent care if you needed them quickly?
Drink plenty of water, rest leave on TV for background noise/distraction.
I am rooting for you! you deserve a healthy, FULL, life- the Sober authentic you!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would suggest that if you are planning to do cold turkey, have someone stay with you for the weekend. You just can't know what will happen and death is a real possibility. If you should suffer a seizure they could call emergency medical help.

The other thing(s) would be a home medical-assisted detox, where you are given a few days' worth of medications and you take them at home to mitigate the severity of withdrawal. Cheap and fast and safe. If I had known how dangerous withdrawal can be I would have gone that route and I think it's the best choice. I was just clueless.

I did a three day unsupervised taper. I was drinking a fifth of rum, vodka or tequila every two days plus some additional IPAs (8% alcohol) every day. I went from 12 drinks to two drinks on the first taper day, one drink on the second taper day and about a half shot of rum on day three. That was my last drink nearly six years ago. It was an uncomfortable ride for a few days. Tapers don't work for everyone. I knew if I had more than two drinks all bets were off so I made the taper short and sweet. I was more than ready to be done and I had steely determination. I was so sick of drinking.

I think the bottom line is it's unpredictable and can be fatal, so be careful. We are here, keep posting and good luck! It's so worth the bit of discomfort. You can do it and you only have to do it one time if you decide to stop permanently.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking again...

Got a load of beer left in the house and i'm drinking again. It's 22:54 UK time, and once this is gone i'm planning to never purchase any alcohol again.

Some people would say pour what you have left away and start now but I've already started so i'm going to finish it.

​​​I have a busy weekend ahead so I should be able to stay sober hopefully. Lots of events with family etc.
​​
Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck to you!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NewJourneyStart View Post
Got a load of beer left in the house and i'm drinking again. It's 22:54 UK time, and once this is gone i'm planning to never purchase any alcohol again.

Some people would say pour what you have left away and start now but I've already started so i'm going to finish it.

​​​I have a busy weekend ahead so I should be able to stay sober hopefully. Lots of events with family etc.
​​
I know it doesn't seem like it right now but pouring out the rest is absolutely the right thing to do.

If you drink it all, you may feel so ill tomorrow that a hair of the dog is 'required'...

and so the cycle continues.

Dump it all out now, drink some water, go to bed.

Make it a statement of intent against your addiction....'this is the way i want to live in future'.

D
Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What Dee said - and you probably don't want to hear this, but I suggest canceling ALL plans.

"No is a complete sentence" is something I took to heart early on. Took me a minute to realize that it was more than OK, and indeed life saving for me, to say NO to everything except: not drinking that day.

I get where you are. It's terrible- and terrifying to think of quitting because there's no telling what's on the other side. But like I said, I had that hope, deep down, that it had to be better than the "life" I was "living." I think you're at that place, too.

Up to you. We can share and support - but you have to want to be sober, and act on that. Eventually, this is a life or death deal.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not to sound like a $%^& but let me know how this "I should be able to stay sober hopefully" works out.
I tried that but always failed and lost a lot.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope all is going well!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How are you doing NewJourneyStart ?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey NewJourneyStart--I'm glad you're here. I agree that it's not a good idea to make plans when considering detox, and I have no idea what your experience might be--everyone is different. I 'only' drank beer, but at the end it was constant-pint after pint of cheap, high-alcohol ale. I had a horrific detox when I quit all at once-12 hours after my last beer I was seeing and hearing things-- spiders, ants, weird demonic faces, translucent owls and crows, accusatory voices, bizarre music--just in a horrific state--this went on for four days until I gave up and started drinking again to make the horror stop. It took me another month of insanity until I went to country detox, where the staff and fellow patients were very kind, but I ended up having a seizure and having to go to the hospital for a week and a half, with three days totally gone, almost no memory of them at all. So, I would check with a doctor and if they think you may be at risk they can give you drugs to help the worst symptoms. Best wishes--please stop drinking right away--it is a decision that you will never regret.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Hmm. I went to detox and that helped shake off the DTs. If you are asking; can it be done at home? The answer is; Yes. Someone out there has done it.