Notices

Close call

Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close call

I met a colleague and friend yesterday for lunch that I have not seen in 20 years. We were both young professionals at the same firm in “the big city” all those years ago. The ethos at the firm was typical of the time, work hard, play hard which translated into drink hard.

He already had an expensive sauvignon blanc open when I arrived at the restaurant. I mumbled some excuse of having to drive and ordered a sparkling water. It was pretty ****. He finished the bottle in no time and I again made up some excuse of having a meeting to go to.

To be honest, there are times when not drinking sucks.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, I know this is off topic - but he drank a whole bottle of wine at lunch? Did you find that odd?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Callas

I'm with trailmix - once I would have done what he did and carried the drinking on into the night.

If he's a drinker like you and I, he probably didn't wake up feeling too great today.

If there's one thing I think we all need to do its to find our joy.

For us, I really believe that discovery can only be made within a sober life. That the only way I know how to live as the real me.

There's a great deal to celebrate and be thankful and grateful for in an authentic life, well lived

D
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Sorry, I know this is off topic - but he drank a whole bottle of wine at lunch? Did you find that odd?
Hahaha! Back when I drank that wouldn't have been odd at all! "Just one bottle, I have to go back to work!"

Good for you, Callas! It will get easier as time goes on to just flat out say you no longer drink. It's a big deal but you don't need to make a big deal out of it (if that makes sense).
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I certainly do. I must admit, I’d often have a bottle of wine in the evening (which is a huge amount of alcohol and asking for health problems) but never at lunchtime.

You did well, callas. I really doubt your friend will live to a ripe old age drinking like that.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to do a bottle of wine a night easily, but at a lunch I would be needing a nap afterwards
Old 11-23-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
To be honest, there are times when not drinking sucks.

What would have drinking brought to the meeting with your friend that wasn't present with you being sober?
Old 11-23-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl: simple answer. Fun.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trailmix, in my drinking days a bottle of wine at lunch was not strange, it was a starter.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for protecting your sobriety and waking up Sober today.
I have a question for you. How does that make you feel today this very moment?

I can so relate to your post. Fun. A bottle full of wine can be the epitome of fun for me. I think at this point I would experience a range of emotions after the initial fun. First being not giving a care and then drinking more and more to cover up those emotions.

I am so happy to hear that you stayed sober. It is tough in certain situations but it is such an investment to ourselves in the long run.

Thank you for posting
Old 11-23-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A simple answer, and an honest answer. But not a good answer...not from a recovery standpoint. Not good that you see a friend you haven't seen in 20 years and it wasn't fun. Cause you couldn't drink.

There is always the danger of equating "fun" with drinking. Maybe twenty years ago, it would have been. Not today. Which you are aware of, because you did the right thing and didn't drink. Good on you. You won part of the battle.

I hope you've put those romanticizing thoughts of wine to bed. That's the other battle.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Agreed.

None of my wife’s friends drink or if they do it’s very occasional. They have way better lifestyles than my friends who just drink. They’ll go out and have great food and conversation. I’m much happier hanging out with these people.

Sorry to repeat myself and sound a little direct, but that friend is odds on to have future health problems drinking a bottle at lunchtime. And drinking a whole bottle whilst his companion doesn’t. That’s not at all normal.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Agreed.

None of my wife’s friends drink or if they do it’s very occasional. They have way better lifestyles than my friends who just drink. They’ll go out and have great food and conversation. I’m much happier hanging out with these people.

Sorry to repeat myself and sound a little direct, but that friend is odds on to have future health problems drinking a bottle at lunchtime. And drinking a whole bottle whilst his companion doesn’t. That’s not at all normal.

You hang out with your wife's friends Hodd! I bet Callas's friend doesn't think that's normal!! It's all perspective really! The guy has his life and I'm sure as an adult he knows what he is doing and what he wants!

Callas, how did you end up catching up after 20 years of not seeing each other?

Are you debating your decision to remain alcohol free?

Life still devoid of fun or passion?
Old 11-23-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
nez

I am enjoying the freedom of not having to drink a bottle a bottle of wine at lunch, to not have fun with the freedom of sobriety.

I can go back to the fun of drinking at any time. It is all there just waiting for me to return. It is always an option available to me at any time. When I was drinking, not drinking was not an option available to me. I enjoy having options, to me that is fun.

Years ago my idea of fun was a distorted definition spoon fed to me by alcohol. Today I have a much more clear definition that comes from my soul.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If drinking was so great why did you give it up? Also I was just straight with people and said I don’t drink because I’m an alcoholic; nothing else would have washed and I’d have felt crap as it wasn’t my truth to not drink because of any other reason. It served me well. It is essential I own what I am- an Alkie. I’m grateful for my alcoholism 🙏
Old 11-23-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I gave up drinking because I started getting withdrawal symptoms from the time I woke up until that first drink after work. That was horrible. If not for that I would not have stopped. So I guess withdrawal saved me. The truth is I simply do not enjoy small talk and chit chat sober. I take full blame for that. But that is my reality.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I gave up drinking because I started getting withdrawal symptoms from the time I woke up until that first drink after work. That was horrible. If not for that I would not have stopped. So I guess withdrawal saved me. The truth is I simply do not enjoy small talk and chit chat sober. I take full blame for that. But that is my reality.
Here's another take. I don't enjoy small talk and chit chat with people who are drinking. After the second one they are not very nice and they lose sight of polite personal boundaries.

Did your friend start asking personal questions that made you uncomfortable about halfway through the visit? Or did he get repetitive, overly friendly, too sensitive or argumentative? I find that to be, "Time to go," and unfortunately those things tend to happen every time I try to spend any time with people who are drinking. I just don't do it anymore. Not one on one.

I'm with Carl, I hope you can stop thinking of sobriety as a punishment, I find it a huge blessing.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

The truth is I simply do not enjoy small talk and chit chat
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.
Plato
Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah that would be hard for me too. I really can’t handle being in a nice fancy restaurant with friends who still drink wine in front of me. I know the repercussions for me, I know the literal headache it would cause and the hard work washed away in an instant but I still can’t help but drool a little and feel envious and even a little hatred, and then anger at myself for the whole thing.
Best to not even put myself in those situations if I can help it.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Lunablue. All my friends drink. Just about all social occasions involve alcohol. I say no a lot.