Notices

Another Day 1

Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Day 1

Hello everyone,

I haven't logged in for a few weeks. Haven't been doing the best with sobriety. Mostly drinking every night. A few weeks ago I was out of town on a work project and had only two drinks in the five days I was gone. I was sleeping 8-9 hours a night and generally wasn't craving alcohol. I felt pretty decent. Once I got back home, I was back to my usual levels. Last night I had more liquor in one sitting that I have in a long time. My tolerance has gone up considerably in the last few months. With the amount I consumed, I should have been drunk out of my mind and sick and had a massive hangover today. But I wasn't that drunk last night and no hangover. Just tired and bloated. I don't consider myself lucky in that regard, I mean I'm glad I wasn't sick, but it is alarming that my tolerance is so high now.

I know I cannot continue this pattern. My body will not be able to sustain itself with the poison I've been putting into it. I have a childhood friend who is currently dealing with cirrhosis. He's been in and out of the hospital with significant medical issues, all stemming from the cirrhosis. He's relatively young and has destroyed most of the relationships in his life. I honestly don't think he will survive, as so much damage has been done. We are around the same age...I know if it could happen to him, it could happen to me. I read so many threads here where someone is obviously stuck in the cycle and I feel bad for them that they can't get out of it, yet here I am doing the same.

Yesterday I had told myself I wasn't going to drink. I was out running errands and was driving to the liquor store and then I just drove on by without stopping in. Then I stopped to pickup lunch and saw I guy I work with and his girlfriend, I don't know, she could've just been a friend. They were going into the place I had intended on picking up lunch so I went to a different place. That was my trigger. I'm not attracted to this guy, I don't want to date him and sometimes I think he can be an arrogant jerk. But what triggered me was here it was a beautiful day out and he was enjoying lunch with someone, while I was going home to eat alone. That did it. I went home and ate and did some chores, but then found myself driving back to the liquor store a few hours later. And once I started, I just kept going. I know it triggered me because I'm lonely.

I want to get back to a normal routine, but work and family commitments have made that very difficult. Having that routine will be critical for me. Work, gym, cooking, hobbies. Things to keep me going physically and keep my mind active. I was working out regularly earlier this year, but now I can't remember that last time I had a good workout. I've put on 10 pounds this year, thanks to the drinking and not so great diet, on top of no exercise. It's time to change that. I think part of my issue is that I have just put so much on the back burner to take care of commitments and haven't done the best at making myself a priority in a healthy way. I've tried taking some time for myself, but healthy eating and no alcohol must be a part of that equation or I am going to hit rock bottom.

Of course, I had to write a lot here....so nothing new with my writing style. Lol. Just gotta get the thoughts out of my head to folks who I know understand.

Hope you are all having a great day. I plan on cooking later tonight and getting to bed early. Remaining alcohol was poured down the drain this morning.

~Peaches
Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad your back Peaches. I was going to send you a PM, because I hadn't seen you around.

It is common to ask about a plan - what might be yours moving forward? What are some specific (be very specific!) things you will be doing?

Try using SMART goals, i.e. goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Bound.

Coming off of any 'tolerance realisation evoking' drinking session leaves a mark, so take it easy in that sense. Good on you for getting rid of the booze, that won't be needed moving forward

Would you commit to posting here daily for 30-60-90 days?

Wish you the best
K
Old 10-15-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you know that it's time for you to stop drinking.

I agree about the importance of a routine, but work and family commitments can be part of your daily routine. I think that if you change just one thing in your routine it will have a ripple effect in your life. I started taking long walks after supper because that was the toughest time of the day for me. The many benefits were unexpected.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPeaches View Post
I want to get back to a normal routine, but work and family commitments have made that very difficult. Having that routine will be critical for me. Work, gym, cooking, hobbies. Things to keep me going physically and keep my mind active. I was working out regularly earlier this year, but now I can't remember that last time I had a good workout. I've put on 10 pounds this year, thanks to the drinking and not so great diet, on top of no exercise. It's time to change that. I think part of my issue is that I have just put so much on the back burner to take care of commitments and haven't done the best at making myself a priority in a healthy way. I've tried taking some time for myself, but healthy eating and no alcohol must be a part of that equation or I am going to hit rock bottom....
That's all good, Peaches (I'm in love with that name!), but I don't see anything there that makes for a plan/program that will keep you away from a drink long-term.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Glad you made it back.

Originally Posted by MissPeaches View Post
I want to get back to a normal routine, but work and family commitments have made that very difficult. Having that routine will be critical for me...I have just put so much on the back burner to take care of commitments...
You had the time to drink, so you have the time for recovery. It's a matter of priorities.

Commit, take action.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Formulate a good plan and then use it every day. You can stay sober as long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Miss Peaches

I'm a big fan of recovery action plans. Like others have said thinking of stuff to do with your time is helpful but a good recovery plan needs to deal with the nuts and bolts of how you'll stay sober, resist temptation, find support, etc.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You sound so much like me! I'm on day 2 and really focused on eating healthy and working out, and I'll admit, I'm also using vanity to start me off here! Best of luck, hopefully I'll see you here again tomorrow!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am rooting for you Peaches!! I know you can do it!!
Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA Member

How are you today Miss Peaches?
Old 10-17-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was wondering too - how goes it MissP?

D
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Peaches- for me, daily support is essential, because 'willpower' is problematic, as my booze addiction was stronger than the need to stop. So meetings and SR every day. Actively posting on different threads gifts me with learning from others as well as supporting and sharing in what is- a very strong community. THAT daily commitment to my recovery remains an equal priority to self care, because without it- I have nothing.
Support to you.