Notices

Daily ramblings of my sober journey

Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily ramblings of my sober journey

I haven't posted on SR for a long time now and today is the day I'm committing to posting again albeit here where I can ramble to my heart's content and not clog up any other threads. I hope that's okay?
I am 639 days sober today and grateful that the daily fight to stay that way has become second nature to me. I thought about it recently and I just don't see the point of prodding that wasps nest no matter how bad life gets. And yes it's been pretty bad. My mental health has been poor and I've been turning to food (okay yes sugar) as my crutch. So I guess swap a deadly addiction for another somewhat less deadly. 24 pounds and 3 types of AD later and I'm backed into a corner where I need to get back to basics and take control of my health. So this is it:
* Journal daily
* 1 activity per day where I get out of breath (even if just for 5 mins)
* Shower and clean teeth daily
* Meditate daily (I have a weight loss hypnosis app which I'm trying - yeah I know!)
* Buy fitness tracker watch and link to fitness app (throw money at it!)
* Have a DIY project on the go
* Get up within 10 minutes of alarm going off
There may be more but this is what I'm aiming for.
At this stage if my sobriety I feel it's less about the immediate danger of picking up but rather the slide into worryingly bad habits that concerns me.
Perhaps by sticking around here a little more I'll feel a little prouder that I am still indeed saving my life one day at a time.
Love to anyone passing by who reads my little ramblings xxx
Old 04-29-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sobriety is the foundation upon which you build a healthy and meaningful life. Sounds to me that you are ready to take that on. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery!

I think that recovery, in the broad sense of the word, is a lifelong journey in which we try to be the best we can. Your plan sounds good and it's great that you are dealing with issues which are bothering you.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just so wonderful to see you honey.
(Repeating myself ).

So very happy to hear you chatting again....love you very much. ❤❤❤
Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jo Jo!! So good to see you 😊. I think you should ramble away. I'm always rambling - I believe it to be good for the soul. I think your plan sounds brilliant and the one thing I would definitely recommend is investing in a fitness tracker. I've always been a runner but when I started tracking my exercise I started to see how some days I ran 12 miles and other days I seemed to hardly walk at all. All or nothing .... That's me. So the fitness tracker helps me achieve moderation in my exercise because unlike in drinking, moderation is most definitely possible for people like us when it comes to exercise. Walking your dog is a brilliant way to get your steps done for the day and being outside in nature is fantastic for everything .... Mentally, physically and emotionally. I know you've had such a tough time lately Jo but today marks the day when everything starts looking up. So, please ramble. You'll always have a rambling buddy in me xxx
Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I admire your goals - they're very doable & reasonable. I need to add a couple of those to my life. I'm so glad you posted, Jo. I love that we can share our thoughts this way - it means everything.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sober journey.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Before anyone buys a fitness tracker, make sure you don't have it free on your phone....I do....just found it....ha ha.... (Samsung).
Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Before anyone buys a fitness tracker, make sure you don't have it free on your phone....I do....just found it....ha ha.... (Samsung).
Yes very true Suze but the watch I've ordered I can swim with it on!!!!! This is a game changer for me coz in too fat to run right now!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jo, pleased you have this thread! It’s good to keep a focus on what you need or want to do, with lists or whatever is good for you.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Yes very true Suze but the watch I've ordered I can swim with it on!!!!! This is a game changer for me coz in too fat to run right now!
Oh I hear you love.....I am too fat to swim. But I can walk. With my phone in my pocket.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just one final ramble of the day. I went to the doctors with my daughter this aft. We both have a nasty cough which I suspected was a chest infection. It was in both cases. I sent my daughter back to the waiting room so I could talk more openly to the doc. I've had quite a fluttery chest and been very breathy and was worried about my BP. He didn't measure it as he said it'd be high anyway because I'm anxious being at the docs so he recommended I buy a BP meter from the chemist and book myself in for an overall health check with the nurse. I have done both and my health check is 31st May. My BP taken at home was 144/93 just now. High yes but hopefully with the antibiotics kicking the infection and my better eating habits and exercise it will improve.
I refuse to panic!
One massive benefit I have discovered recently is the long hard fight for sobriety has helped me to be patient with myself. I can't magic my BP down in a week and I can't shed 2 stone in a week either. What I can do is make better decisions each day which will slowly add up.
Off to bed to meditate now. Night night!
Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Goodnight love....I bought Nick a great monitor that was not expensive and is very reliable and easy to use. I will PM or Skpe...sleep well. And I hope you ahd Hannah both feel better.

PS....Remember the spoonful of honey trick. xx

Oh gosh....no idea why I assumed Hannah.....guess it could be Mellie xx
Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha yes it was Melly! Night sweetie pie xxx
Old 04-29-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Night beautiful Jo....means the world to me and so many of us that you are chatting again honey. Just love you to pieces. xx
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good to see you back Jo - and especially good to see you working your recovery and posting to stay on the right road.

Threads like this are great

D
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 639 days Jo! You can be proud of that.

As you say yourself you will need a bit of patience but if you can quit drinking then losing a bit of weight shouldn't be too hard. I remember my BP was 144/can't remember the systolic but they did come down fairly fast with eating better and a bit of execise - nothing drastic.

Glad to see you on the threads again.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jo, just wanted to drop by and offer my support. Hope you feel better real soon!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really feeling rough with this chest infection today. Bad timing when I'm trying to get active again but I went for a swim this evening and my heart rate went scary high. I think sticking to walks until it has cleared is best.
I'd say today has been a success. Productive and free from self sabotage. Perhaps take it a bit steadier tomorrow because I'm tired and poorly. Reminds me of the withdrawal days a little where I was terrified of having a heart attack.
I am really glad to be reconnected with SR. Going to leave it a while before I feel up to contributing to many threads but having that link to fellow addicts is very comforting. So many wonderful people around here.....
Time for my meditation so I'll leave it there for today xxx
Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would think exercise would be inadvisable with a chest infection or if you feel generally poorly. Convalesce first.