Notices

Red flag for my bro?

Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red flag for my bro?

My brother is about 6 years drink free.
Now he tells me on Saturday that he’s been buying mackesons stout.
I said who for?
He then goes on to tell me it’s only 2.5% abv and he puts a little in a glass and tops it up with lemonade so then it becomes 0.2% abv.
I said that’s a slippery slope, but nothing more was said as we began to watch a film.

I couldn’t see myself at any point buying booze for myself to dilute, after all the misery it’s caused me. It’s took a lot more away from my brother too.

All the actions are there. buying booze, pouring booze, and drinking it (diluted)
WHY!?
Or am I being too sensitive?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It wouldn't be viable for me, Snowy - but if your bro is anything like mine he's not very receptive to unsolicited advice.

D
Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That surwly wouldnt work for me . Keep coming back
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought about picking up some NA beverages about a week or so ago but told myself, NOPE, that it was my AV talking.
I didn't think it was the right road to be traveling down.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don‘t think you’re being overly sensitive. This is a red flag the size of Texas.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Seems like it’s only a matter of time really to be honest. He’s relapsing
Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very slippery slope to me!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'd be very concerned for him. Possibly he can keep it under control. What's his story? How serious was his drinking problem before? Why did he get sober in the first place?

I used to sometimes get NA beers when I was out with people who were drinking. I think in some desire to still sort of fit in. After a few times doing that, I realized I didn't really enjoy them, and they were just as expensive (or more!) as regular beers, so I stopped doing it. I know plenty of people who can continue to drink NA beers and wines without relapsing, but I also know a few who did relapse. That may or may not have had anything to do with what they were drinking. I don't believe it's a slippery slope for everyone.

Snowy, I'd just keep an eye on him, but you also have to realize you are not in any way responsible for any choices your bother might make. He's got his justifications for doing it all lined up, so he's gonna do what he's gonna do.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two posts were removed.

I think that joking about this topic could be misconstrued.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I'd be very concerned for him. Possibly he can keep it under control. What's his story? How serious was his drinking problem before? Why did he get sober in the first place?

I used to sometimes get NA beers when I was out with people who were drinking. I think in some desire to still sort of fit in. After a few times doing that, I realized I didn't really enjoy them, and they were just as expensive (or more!) as regular beers, so I stopped doing it. I know plenty of people who can continue to drink NA beers and wines without relapsing, but I also know a few who did relapse. That may or may not have had anything to do with what they were drinking. I don't believe it's a slippery slope for everyone.

Snowy, I'd just keep an eye on him, but you also have to realize you are not in any way responsible for any choices your bother might make. He's got his justifications for doing it all lined up, so he's gonna do what he's gonna do.
He’s just gone 8 weeks without weed and has cut sugar out or so he says. so I’m thinking his beast is looking for a vice.

He has 4 kids and only 1 of them will still talk to him. That’s what the booze took from him. He said if he ever started again he would be dead in 4 months because that’s how long it would take him to reach the lowest low and he would commit suicide.
He does love a drama.
He is waiting for adhd diagnosis and treatment which is taking years.
He is like a kid in an adults body.

I’ll have a chat with him tomorrow as today has been hectic.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Somehow the topic changed into a critique of the forum moderation here, so we're done.

I removed posts.

12. Do not disrespect forum leaders, moderators, forum greeters, and chat chairs. Be respectful in both the forums, chat, and any private communications. These members are volunteers that donate many, many hours of their own time to help in the forums and chat rooms. Violations of this rule will not be tolerated.

If you see a problem report it to us immediately and let us review the problem and take the appropriate actions.

If you feel that a decision has been made arbitrarily you may contact an Administrator privately for clarification. It is against the forum rules to ignore private messages from Forum leaders or Administrators. Publicly denouncing the actions of one of our volunteers can lead to having your membership permanently revoked.
Anna and I work really long hours in Newcomers, unpaid, to make sure this forum is welcome and useful for everyone.

We moderate according to the rules.

We're also approachable by PM if there's a specific problem.

If anyone disagrees now with any of the rules you agreed to when you signed up, we'll close your account for you, no worries.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 07-22-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd like to add to Dee's post.

Dee works harder than any of us here and it really bugs me when I see people criticizing him (and the rest of the Mods).

I cannot understand people who say, there is only ONE opinion allowed here. What opinion is that? I have no idea. Dee and I work very hard to make sure all voices are heard in the Newcomers Forum. We have no horse in the race.

But, we have rules. And, I know from my experience here, it's the rules that keep SR working smoothly. One of the rules is to not use the boards to complain about the Mods. You can make complaints against the Mods/Admins via PM and the complaint will always be investigated.