Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

So what happens to an active alcoholic who doesn't want to stop drinking?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been in touch with my friend/ex for last few weeks.

He went to go back to a new rehab today but he didn't like it and returned home to his cousins where he's staying. Has been on a Librium detox last few days.

It's clear to me now he doesn't really want to stop drinking bad enough, or is not ready or can't. Whichever it is, my question is what happens to him. His cousin is threatening to kick him out if he continues drinking. He has nowhere else to go. He has hinted at moving to mine but I'm scared/nervous of this idea.

He rang tonight wanting to know if he could come to mine and drink! I told him no. He said great help you are. I turned off phone. I felt bad but thought it for best. Maybe I should have done what someone else said here in another thread and said live and let live? Let him come and drink as that what he wants to do as an adult, but I'm up early tomorrow and need my sleep. Not sure.

He has been to 4 rehabs so far.

So what happens to someone who doesn't want to stop drinking . He's 26 but just can't seem to stop! Does he die? Will he kill himself?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

His cousin is threatening to kick him out if he continues drinking. He has nowhere else to go. He has hinted at moving to mine but I'm scared/nervous of this idea.
Please, please PLEASE do not allow this!! If you do, you will be miserable and will have a difficult time getting him to leave. If his cousin is sick of him and his drinking (even though she was enabling him), then you will very soon get sick of it, too.

What happens when alcoholics don't stop drinking? They usually die from it. He has had MANY opportunities to get help but always leaves. He left this last time because he didn't like it?? Seriously??

This guy has no intention of quitting. He is trying to manipulate you again. I hope you will not allow him to succeed.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In this situation, I would recommend taking care of your own needs, not his. It's not like you're helping with his problem. You don't want to be his enabler, which is what he may be after.

I don't know what will happen to him. Can you tell him he can stay if he stops drinking? Suppose he does stop drinking? Do you want him around after that? By the way, are you an alcoholic? That would weigh heavily on your decision.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
In this situation, I would recommend taking care of your own needs, not his. It's not like you're helping with his problem. You don't want to be his enabler, which is what he may be after.

I don't know what will happen to him. Can you tell him he can stay if he stops drinking? Suppose he does stop drinking? Do you want him around after that? By the way, are you an alcoholic? That would weigh heavily on your decision.
Yes he may be after an enabler. After I said no he texted and said great help you are!

I'm not an alcoholic. He could gladly stay here if he got sober but even in a short conversation earlier he more or less admitted he doesn't want to stop.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Please, please PLEASE do not allow this!! If you do, you will be miserable and will have a difficult time getting him to leave. If his cousin is sick of him and his drinking (even though she was enabling him), then you will very soon get sick of it, too.

What happens when alcoholics don't stop drinking? They usually die from it. He has had MANY opportunities to get help but always leaves. He left this last time because he didn't like it?? Seriously??

This guy has no intention of quitting. He is trying to manipulate you again. I hope you will not allow him to succeed.
No he has no intention of quitting and admitted it today. Scary when someone admits that. I think he will kill himself. My old self would take him in no problem but with my codependency awareness I'm reluctant to. He had a friend over from UK last weekend and got abusive physically with him. I would be nervous of this. His cousin took him off the streets, he will be back on them I'm guessing.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Yes he may be after an enabler. After I said no he texted and said great help you are!

I'm not an alcoholic. He could gladly stay here if he got sober but even in a short conversation earlier he more or less admitted he doesn't want to stop.
Not may be after an enabler Glen - he is after one. No question. "Great help you are" to what? For him to have a warm, comfy place to drink, seriously?

If you let him move in with you, it will be a complete and utter disaster.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Not may be after an enabler Glen - he is after one. No question. "Great help you are" to what? For him to have a warm, comfy place to drink, seriously?

If you let him move in with you, it will be a complete and utter disaster.
Totally I agree.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

His cousin is threatening to kick him out if he continues drinking. He has nowhere else to go. He has hinted at moving to mine but I'm scared/nervous of this idea.
This guy is so predictable it's kind of amazing. I can guess at his next move and I don't even know him. Him wanting to move in with you was incoming - just had to wait for the cousin to get tired of supporting him and listening to his drunken chatter.

You should be scared, scared mostly that you would even consider this for one second. He is an abusive alcoholic and while I can understand your attachment to him, how you would ever consider having him sponging off you, abusing you, Glen - don't do it!

He rang tonight wanting to know if he could come to mine and drink! I told him no. He said great help you are. I turned off phone. I felt bad but thought it for best. Maybe I should have done what someone else said here in another thread and said live and let live? Let him come and drink as that what he wants to do as an adult, but I'm up early tomorrow and need my sleep. Not sure.
You felt bad? Why?

You are misunderstanding "live and let live". No where does it imply - live and let live and let someone else screw up my life and make me miserable and abuse me. It means let them do their own thing.

So what happens to someone who doesn't want to stop drinking . He's 26 but just can't seem to stop! Does he die? Will he kill himself?
Maybe, maybe not. He's got a very serious addiction problem there, it's running wild and he's letting it.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been in touch with my friend/ex for last few weeks.

He went to go back to a new rehab today but he didn't like it and returned home to his cousins where he's staying. Has been on a Librium detox last few days.

It's clear to me now he doesn't really want to stop drinking bad enough, or is not ready or can't. Whichever it is, my question is what happens to him. His cousin is threatening to kick him out if he continues drinking. He has nowhere else to go. He has hinted at moving to mine but I'm scared/nervous of this idea.

He has been to 4 rehabs so far.

l said 'live and let live' about my AH who is in his late 60s. But l certainly wouldn't get embroiled in this type of situation if it could be avoided.
Think very carefully what you would be getting yourself into. X
Old 12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
l said 'live and let live' about my AH who is in his late 60s. But l certainly wouldn't get embroiled in this type of situation if it could be avoided.
Think very carefully what you would be getting yourself into. X
Thanks yes I think I tried to apply your situation to mine and they are so different. Cripes this is all so heavy.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This guy is so predictable it's kind of amazing. I can guess at his next move and I don't even know him. Him wanting to move in with you was incoming - just had to wait for the cousin to get tired of supporting him and listening to his drunken chatter.

You should be scared, scared mostly that you would even consider this for one second. He is an abusive alcoholic and while I can understand your attachment to him, how you would ever consider having him sponging off you, abusing you, Glen - don't do it!

You felt bad? Why?

You are misunderstanding "live and let live". No where does it imply - live and let live and let someone else screw up my life and make me miserable and abuse me. It means let them do their own thing.

Maybe, maybe not. He's got a very serious addiction problem there, it's running wild and he's letting it.
Ok see what you mean. I'm glad I let him do his own thing then tonight. He's probably on phone as we speak trying to see who else he can live with in another country. Yes my attachment is to the sober him which seems rare now.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know what will happen to your addict but I can tell you what has happened to mine:

My XAH won't stop drinking. He's 52. He threatened to kill himself if I left him our entire relationship. I kicked him our 6+ years ago, he's still alive.

He has churned through more jobs than I can count. Been sacked from most of them. He is now unemployed and welfare dependent.

He has been homeless for about the last 2 years. He was recently housed by a community organization. Homelessness meant that he was absent from our children's lives. Now he has a house, our now adult children go to visit him once a fortnight. He asks them for money. He asks them to take him shopping as he has no money, no car, no drivers' license, used to, not anymore though. Although he asks the kids for "loans" they long ago learned from me that ANY money you "loan" to ANYONE should be undertaken with the thought that you will NEVER see the money again.

He likes to get really drunk and phone our children. He now gives them the same lectures and soliloquies I had to listen to for 20+ years. Just drunken garbage about how the world is being ruined and he knows how to fix it and how women are out to ruin men's lives. He also rants at them and tells them how to be successful at Uni and at work - two things he has never managed to achieve but he sure knows how our kids oughta do it!

RUN AWAY FROM THIS MAN! Save yourself.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LLLisa View Post
I don't know what will happen to your addict but I can tell you what has happened to mine:

My XAH won't stop drinking. He's 52. He threatened to kill himself if I left him our entire relationship. I kicked him our 6+ years ago, he's still alive.

He has churned through more jobs than I can count. Been sacked from most of them. He is now unemployed and welfare dependent.

He has been homeless for about the last 2 years. He was recently housed by a community organization. Homelessness meant that he was absent from our children's lives. Now he has a house, our now adult children go to visit him once a fortnight. He asks them for money. He asks them to take him shopping as he has no money, no car, no drivers' license, used to, not anymore though. Although he asks the kids for "loans" they long ago learned from me that ANY money you "loan" to ANYONE should be undertaken with the thought that you will NEVER see the money again.

He likes to get really drunk and phone our children. He now gives them the same lectures and soliloquies I had to listen to for 20+ years. Just drunken garbage about how the world is being ruined and he knows how to fix it and how women are out to ruin men's lives. He also rants at them and tells them how to be successful at Uni and at work - two things he has never managed to achieve but he sure knows how our kids oughta do it!

RUN AWAY FROM THIS MAN! Save yourself.
Wow thanks for sharing. I value my peace of mind more than anything even my feelings for him. I think also the fact it's so near Xmas he will get even worse. Hope I have the strength to run away.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok see what you mean. I'm glad I let him do his own thing then tonight. He's probably on phone as we speak trying to see who else he can live with in another country. Yes my attachment is to the sober him which seems rare now.
Where does the get the money to do this country hopping, having no job?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Where does the get the money to do this country hopping, having no job?
He worked for few weeks this summer and went on sick pay and got it in bulk lately. Also his cousin will do almost anything for him even financially
Old 12-12-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

He worked for few weeks this summer and went on sick pay and got it in bulk lately. Also his cousin will do almost anything for him even financially
I think what will happen next is that the cousin will calm down, the xbf will calm down and that situation will calm down, for a while.

She probably isn't quite at the end of her rope just yet, the abuse of his friend on the weekend (and him even having a friend over) probably rocked that boat a bit.

I'm guessing he can talk a good talk, so will try to work his way back in to his cushy situation.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hope I have the strength to run away.
The only reason you wouldn't would be because you aren't done yet. Just like he isn't done drinking and most likely never will be. This guy has been using you from day one. That is what he does...he uses people. How long are you going to allow him to use you?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No he has no intention of quitting and admitted it today. His cousin took him off the streets, he will be back on them I'm guessing.
Yes he probably will be back on the streets due to his choice to continue drinking and bum off of others. Just maybe the pain and inconvenience of his continued drinking and it’s consequences could be the very anecdote he needs to WANT to stop. Don’t enable him.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"So what happens to an active alcoholic who doesn't want to stop drinking?"

The one in my life died a few months ago at age 53 from liver failure.

I am grateful every day that we were no longer in touch so I didn't have a front row seat to that train wreck.

I would strongly suggest you let him go before he pulls you down with him.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So what happens to someone who doesn't want to stop drinking .
over the last 13+ years ive seen only 3 things happen:
locked up
covered up
or
sobered up.

please dont help dig his grave because you'll be diggin it for 2 only you wont physically die- only mentally and emotionally.