Abraham Hicks teachings?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Abraham Hicks teachings?

Hi,

As part of my recovery in codependency I have been listening to many podcasts of different sources.

Would like to hear from anyone who has experience of Abraham (Esther hicks) teachings? I've been listening to her stuff on YouTube for a few weeks now and I find some of her stuff very good, but I also have a niggling feeling that something is a bit off, almost like I'm being brainwashed like I'm missing the vids when I'm not listening to them?

Be grateful to hear from people who have experience or opinions on her and teachings.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Go with your gut. Trust your Higher Power/God/Universe/Great Spirit/or however you relate to guide you in this.

I love bulletproof coffee. It's good for me. I notice an improvement in my mood on days I drink it. I don't drink it every day. Sometimes a cup or two in a month. Sometimes a triple size mug three days in a row. I don't avoid drinking something that helps me feel good, I simply go with my gut and am lead to being more aware and finding many things that support my health and happiness.

Same thing with Abraham Hicks or anything else.

Developing a close, healthy relationship with myself is most important. Ditto that with my HP, who I relate to in many different terms.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Go with your gut. Trust your Higher Power/God/Universe/Great Spirit/or however you relate to guide you in this.

I love bulletproof coffee. It's good for me. I don't drink it every day. Sometimes a cup or two in a month. Sometimes a triple size mug three days in a row.

Same thing with Abraham Hicks or anything else.

Developing a close, healthy relationship with myself is most important. Ditto that with my HP, who I relate to in many different terms.
Yes I'm enjoying developing my new relationship with my higher power first and foremost. I'm just Keen to hear from people who have listened to her and thoughts and opinions. Take your point also on too much of anything, it's the all or nothing codie in me 🙄
Old 10-12-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

Edited that a bit. It's not so much the all or nothing, as sometimes that can be a strength! Lol.

It's simply tuning in to my gut instincts. Getting in the flow of life. Sometimes God guides me one way or another that doesn't make sense. I'm okay with that.

Prayer:

God/Great Spirit, thank you.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Some of my favorites have to do with driving. Intuitive, inspired driving.

I really relate to that. I love to drive. I was called on that by someone, to look at my motivation behind it. It seemed insane to them that I'd put so many miles on the road. I like the change of scenery, long, straight roads, curvy winding roads, traffic is fun whether it's wildlife or a long line of vehicles.

I considered my motives. I felt for a short while as if they were right and I spend too much time on the road. Then it became very clear, one day at a time, that if I'm listening to my instincts, having fun, seeing wonderful things along the way and am enjoying the day, I'm right where I am meant to be.

Some days I'm brought to long stretches of quietness, of not doing, of not going anywhere. I greatly enjoy this also.

Ever listen to a podcast that really resonates and gives good feels, that life is good? So much goodness in that. Snowball effect. I can choose to release my pain, anger and wounds, letting them be transformed. I can choose to embrace all the beauty and goodness this day has to offer, in so many ways. I can choose to be thankful this day I'm alive.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not everybody's gut is the same. If you are like me, going with your gut is likely the wrong decision. If not, maybe not.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
Not everybody's gut is the same. If you are like me, going with your gut is likely the wrong decision. If not, maybe not.
Well my gut leads me in the right direction mostly, but couple of times not.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Just for today, as I trust my gut the more intuitive this becomes.

Fun facts of life: law of attraction, signs/guidance in many forms.

Discerning my healthy gut instincts from voices of judgement, illness or trauma can be a part of healing.

There were many times my instincts kept me safe in scary places that may not make sense, yet it was within the skillset I had then. Life constantly changes. I was brought to what I needed and am extremely grateful for this. Gratitude for what I have, for health and healing builds on that and keeps guiding me in healthy directions.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Just for today, as I trust my gut the more intuitive this becomes.

Fun facts of life: law of attraction, signs/guidance in many forms.

Discerning my healthy gut instincts from voices of judgement, illness or trauma can be a part of healing.

There were many times my instincts kept me safe in scary places that may not make sense, yet it was within the skillset I had then. Life constantly changes. I was brought to what I needed and am extremely grateful for this. Gratitude for what I have, for health and healing builds on that and keeps guiding me in healthy directions.
Yes my walking out on him that night after listening to my gut, even though I doubt myself at times, may have been the best thing I ever did. I too am grateful for health and recovery.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I listen to a lot of Abraham & I have for about a year & a half now.

My panic/crisis moments are when I tend to binge-listen, but otherwise I catch a few relevant clips each week on youtube. Like anything else in recovery, it's just one of many tools I use & one of many authors/podcasts/spiritual leaders that I listen to.

The thing that hit for me with Hicks is that by the time I started officially listening, I realized I'd already been following these prinicples via a favorite meditation that I used frequently..... I had no clue it related to LOA since it wasn't direct from that source. But I couldn't deny the way it was working - evidence of everything she talks about around me all the time.

Then I stepped back & noticed that the LOA principles had been at work every single time I'd had a major turning point in my life.... every single time I'd stood on that threshold of uncertainty, it was LOA-based thinking/instincts that I followed & that led me to where I needed to be. I used to marvel at the miracle of things showing up at the exact right time or decisions only making sense in hindsight & not with any understanding of where I was going to end up... what a blessing! miracle! insert-buzz-word-here!

Nope - LOA. The second I let go, it happens. Now I see it manifesting all around me, all the time. It's precisely like she says too - the more emotionally attached I am to the outcome/parties involved, the more difficult it is to detach & let it happen. But the scant mention of needing to find the right pants, perfect parking spot, new lunch spot nets almost literal, instantaneous results. DD sits with her jaw on the floor watching the "small stuff" happen all around her & already has so much experience with things working out the way they are supposed to just by letting go that I cannot WAIT to see what else in coming out of her vortex down the line. Every time we've had hard stuff to deal with for her - like picking the right school for her only to have her end up somewhere totally different, we end up discovering that was where she was meant to be all along. I can't tell you how many times she says, "I would have never thought....... yet, here we are."
Old 10-15-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I listen to a lot of Abraham & I have for about a year & a half now.

My panic/crisis moments are when I tend to binge-listen, but otherwise I catch a few relevant clips each week on youtube. Like anything else in recovery, it's just one of many tools I use & one of many authors/podcasts/spiritual leaders that I listen to.

The thing that hit for me with Hicks is that by the time I started officially listening, I realized I'd already been following these prinicples via a favorite meditation that I used frequently..... I had no clue it related to LOA since it wasn't direct from that source. But I couldn't deny the way it was working - evidence of everything she talks about around me all the time.

Then I stepped back & noticed that the LOA principles had been at work every single time I'd had a major turning point in my life.... every single time I'd stood on that threshold of uncertainty, it was LOA-based thinking/instincts that I followed & that led me to where I needed to be. I used to marvel at the miracle of things showing up at the exact right time or decisions only making sense in hindsight & not with any understanding of where I was going to end up... what a blessing! miracle! insert-buzz-word-here!

Nope - LOA. The second I let go, it happens. Now I see it manifesting all around me, all the time. It's precisely like she says too - the more emotionally attached I am to the outcome/parties involved, the more difficult it is to detach & let it happen. But the scant mention of needing to find the right pants, perfect parking spot, new lunch spot nets almost literal, instantaneous results. DD sits with her jaw on the floor watching the "small stuff" happen all around her & already has so much experience with things working out the way they are supposed to just by letting go that I cannot WAIT to see what else in coming out of her vortex down the line. Every time we've had hard stuff to deal with for her - like picking the right school for her only to have her end up somewhere totally different, we end up discovering that was where she was meant to be all along. I can't tell you how many times she says, "I would have never thought....... yet, here we are."
Very interesting. I know what you mean about already following these principles. I listened to one she has on YouTube today On Neediness in a relationship. Everything she says in it really applies to codependcy, I was amazed at it actually. She talked about putting our happiness in the hands of another, instead of finding our own alignment, staying in the vortex regardless of what he/she is doing. All of our resources come from source not that person, boyfriend/girlfriend/mother. She said to get excited about the vortex instead of them. That person will show up in your life, when it doesn't matter to you if he doesn't!!! (Total self care and detachment). When we're secure regardless of what he does that's the most powerful position to be in.

Also talks about how our parents RESCUE their children they disempower them. As children we we're trained to believe in the power of others more than to believe in the power of ourselves. Then when we come to relationships, we transfer that power to them also! We develop dependencies such as I need you to complete me. We become dependent on them and have to control them, and they feel bound because our happiness is on their shoulders! (This is exactly what melody beattie talks about in codependent no more).

Really struck a chord with me, I do like her stuff and is helping me catch negative thoughts and replacing them with better feeling ones.

That said, I haven't been manifesting anything so I'm not doing it right I'd imagine. I'm hoping maybe I will get better at it. I always had the feeling that when I an totally over my ex and in a really happy place that's when he will contact, yet I don't want to do it for that reason lol. As she says herself, get happy, create the life you want and I may not even want him. Not there by any means.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely helps with Codie issues because in her teachings, the Self is everything.

I have only one focus in meditation now - strengthening my connection to my Higher Self & staying in alignment as much as possible. When that piece is in place, every other piece falls in line in the right time too. If everything around me responds to my vibration, I want to make sure it's my purest possible vibration.

There's no doing it "wrong" but you're likely expecting a lot out of the things you're most attached to. Remember that you can't leap vibrationally from too far left to too far right - you have to move incrementally otherwise you'll just keep falling completely off. Like you can't go from grief to joy - you have to move through many stages to get from one to another.

I focus on Me & My vibration & then "play" with it for things I'm not attached to - can my Higher Self pick the right lane of traffic to stay in for the easiest morning commute? The best time of day to stop at the right store to have the best possible experience? I'm getting low on cereal, I need a good sale.... and then Bam! I walk into a store & find the perfect deal - but because I let go of which cereal at which store at what price, it fell right into my lap. Small stuff - stuff you do regularly but that doesn't ultimately affect your overall life path. It's like exercising a muscle to get stronger.

Last night for some reason I can't remember, DD & I had a lengthy convo where we debated alternate storylines & endings to the Twilight series & I marveled at her comparisons between "real" & "obsessive" love, by her definitions & observations. I was blown away that she could differentiate these 2 & had examples to back it up but what really gave me hope was when she basically said, "let's back up & discuss Bella & realize that since she's fundamentally flawed as a character that NEEDS these men in one way or another, the truth is that the Best version of this story starts with a stronger female character that is not so dependent on those around her for her definition & life path." (and a 2nd truth that it wouldn't have gone on for 3 more books, lol)

Holy carpfish. I wasn't even CLOSE to that mentality as a codie-in-training at this same age!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
I always had the feeling that when I an totally over my ex and in a really happy place that's when he will contact, yet I don't want to do it for that reason lol. As she says herself, get happy, create the life you want and I may not even want him. Not there by any means.
Have you considered that by holding on to what wasn't working, you're not freeing up the space for what does? That by holding on to "him" in any way, you're holding yourself back from someone even better suited for you?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you considered that by holding on to what wasn't working, you're not freeing up the space for what does? That by holding on to "him" in any way, you're holding yourself back from someone even better suited for you?
Yes I have considered that. I've been detaching and working on my self care. Each morning I say this spiritual surrender piece I picked up some weeks ago, it goes, "i pray for highest good for all in this situation". The situation being me detaching from him, and I wish him well. A Hicks said in another vid to get over someone, focus on the good parts of them to create your sense of feeling good, don't focus on any bad part.

I would truly love a day where I don't think about him. I'm wondering if in some way praying/wishing well for him is keeping him active in my vibration........Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I admittedly haven’t read the whole thread, but I have a lot of experience with the Abe Hicks teachings. Following them to a T literally changed my life in the most amazing ways imaginable, for several years. However they absolutely did not work for me when it came to dealing with addictions (codie for me, I believe its a true addiction) and relationships with addicts. Maybe it was my own dismal failure at applying them in those areas, because I got stellar results with them in every other area of my life. Just my two cents! I’ll get to the rest of this thread when I have some more time lol.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Definitely helps with Codie issues because in her teachings, the Self is everything.

I have only one focus in meditation now - strengthening my connection to my Higher Self & staying in alignment as much as possible. When that piece is in place, every other piece falls in line in the right time too. If everything around me responds to my vibration, I want to make sure it's my purest possible vibration.

There's no doing it "wrong" but you're likely expecting a lot out of the things you're most attached to. Remember that you can't leap vibrationally from too far left to too far right - you have to move incrementally otherwise you'll just keep falling completely off. Like you can't go from grief to joy - you have to move through many stages to get from one to another.

I focus on Me & My vibration & then "play" with it for things I'm not attached to - can my Higher Self pick the right lane of traffic to stay in for the easiest morning commute? The best time of day to stop at the right store to have the best possible experience? I'm getting low on cereal, I need a good sale.... and then Bam! I walk into a store & find the perfect deal - but because I let go of which cereal at which store at what price, it fell right into my lap. Small stuff - stuff you do regularly but that doesn't ultimately affect your overall life path. It's like exercising a muscle to get stronger.

Last night for some reason I can't remember, DD & I had a lengthy convo where we debated alternate storylines & endings to the Twilight series & I marveled at her comparisons between "real" & "obsessive" love, by her definitions & observations. I was blown away that she could differentiate these 2 & had examples to back it up but what really gave me hope was when she basically said, "let's back up & discuss Bella & realize that since she's fundamentally flawed as a character that NEEDS these men in one way or another, the truth is that the Best version of this story starts with a stronger female character that is not so dependent on those around her for her definition & life path." (and a 2nd truth that it wouldn't have gone on for 3 more books, lol)

Holy carpfish. I wasn't even CLOSE to that mentality as a codie-in-training at this same age!
Wow she definitely sounds very clued in! Will save herself a lot of pain. Yes I see what you mean about expecting too much. I suppose I may have had small experiences of trusting my higher power to lead me in right direction a few times lately, and whereas before I would doubt and question myself, I am becoming stronger in trusting what it's telling me. So maybe small steps like you said, building a muscle. I have some empty focus wheels printed out, I intend filling them in soon with long term bigger goals.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by curiouskarma View Post
I admittedly haven’t read the whole thread, but I have a lot of experience with the Abe Hicks teachings. Following them to a T literally changed my life in the most amazing ways imaginable, for several years. However they absolutely did not work for me when it came to dealing with addictions (codie for me, I believe its a true addiction) and relationships with addicts. Maybe it was my own dismal failure at applying them in those areas, because I got stellar results with them in every other area of my life. Just my two cents! I’ll get to the rest of this thread when I have some more time lol.
Thanks for your insights. Interesting that you didn't manage to apply then to the codie/addict area. I have in the past when I have gotten to a better place with my ex or someone else, always heard from them when I've shown them no interest. It hasn't worked this time either with my addict ex, so I wonder in there something is what you say. Although I'd imagine a Hicks would say differently.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
I would truly love a day where I don't think about him. I'm wondering if in some way praying/wishing well for him is keeping him active in my vibration........Any thoughts?
Yes, that's exactly what I think is happening. ANY thought is going to create vibration but you can't stop yourself from attaching all the subconscious concerns & insecurities about this relationship no matter how hard you try right now. It's too soon - you're too raw/emotionally invested. (even though I realize you aren't interacting with him or anything like that)

I would shoot for 1 hour not thinking about him, then 2, then 3, etc. Break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks. You also HAVE to force your focus to shift - you have to CHOOSE something else to focus on in baby steps. Don't just decide you're not going to think about him - find something else to actively fill that space. A hobby, project, charitable act. Call another friend & tell them you just want to talk about THEIR world for an hour & take your attention fully away from yourself - stuff like that.

Sounds so easy but I KNOW sometimes 5 minutes feels like 5 days - recognize it & say, ok, today I'm taking it 5 mins at a time, today is NOT a 1-hr at a time-kinda-day, lol.

We all fall off our vibrations - ALL of us. It's never about the Fall. It's ALWAYS about the Rising.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, that's exactly what I think is happening. ANY thought is going to create vibration but you can't stop yourself from attaching all the subconscious concerns & insecurities about this relationship no matter how hard you try right now. It's too soon - you're too raw/emotionally invested. (even though I realize you aren't interacting with him or anything like that)

I would shoot for 1 hour not thinking about him, then 2, then 3, etc. Break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks. You also HAVE to force your focus to shift - you have to CHOOSE something else to focus on in baby steps. Don't just decide you're not going to think about him - find something else to actively fill that space. A hobby, project, charitable act. Call another friend & tell them you just want to talk about THEIR world for an hour & take your attention fully away from yourself - stuff like that.

Sounds so easy but I KNOW sometimes 5 minutes feels like 5 days - recognize it & say, ok, today I'm taking it 5 mins at a time, today is NOT a 1-hr at a time-kinda-day, lol.

We all fall off our vibrations - ALL of us. It's never about the Fall. It's ALWAYS about the Rising.
Great. You see in an effort to help myself over last while I've been listening to many different spiritual teachers. Marianne williamson says, pray for someone else for 30 days and either they will change or you will. Gabrielle Bernstein says spiritual surrender tip is to pray for highest good for all in situation. So it probably has been too soon still I'm a bit confused. It's been well over 30 days now more like 60 I've been praying for him and myself lol.

Do you think I should stop doing this now? I have been wondering if it was keeping me in the thinking of him. As you say going 5 mins at a time.....
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yep - what you're experiencing sounds like the discomfort Hicks talks about when your Higher Self isn't in agreement with your actions.

So you pray "for" him & end up feeling icky & attached because there's no way to Let Go & pray for/wish him well at the same time, right? You have a push & a pull happening here.

Let him pray for himself & take your energy back for you exclusively. He's a grown up & can pray for himself, especially if he's serious about his own recovery, right?

Let's say he shows up at your doorstep tomorrow...... if you're not feeling solid in yourself & who you are & your own healing then what is he responding to vibrationally? Sure, he's there - broken. Are you ready for Round #2?

But what if you let go of him fully & just worry about Glen & then this new, amazeballs guy shows up in response? What if Mr. Right is Right There but you're too worried about your Ex & not allowing yourself to attract what is in your highest good?

OR - you let go of him fully & focus on you & he still miraculously shows up? Now you can trust that he's responding to your higher vibration..... Isn't that where you want to be "with" him no matter what?... - or do you want any version that appears?