Dodged a bullet... but why so sad?

Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dodged a bullet... but why so sad?

Dodged a bullet... but why so sad

Today 11:48 AM by Equestrian83
I feel like I just stepped off a roller coaster ride I was not inline for...

I met a wonderful man and we started dating going on tons of adventures and super fun nights in. He seemed to have his life together a career, hobbies, and what great conversation. When he would visit after about three months I let him visit my home. He would offer to help me clean, he would cook beautiful meals, we would sit outside for hours talking by the fire. Around six months w
We started talking about our future and where we saw ourselves and we both agreed together and that in a year we might move in.
He is a nurse that works on the night ER shift. So he keeps strange hours and an intravert (intj) so he has wierd mannerisms in the first place when it comes to people and he does associate with many people. Honestly I was probably the only person he really talked to. He also lived at home with his parents at 38. So he said the pay off student loans after his divorce and a plan to go back to FNP school. He already held two BA degrees.
The story continues... the drinking I thought was alot for most people but it was never more then he seemed to be able to handle. He was always the same person whether drinking or not. Weird things did happen like when he would wake up he would immediately have a glass of wine and it was always wine. Which he told me was bc he worked opposite schedules then me so that was his normal time to drink. His parents loved me they would encourage us over dinner to go check out his storage unit to see there was anything I needed and I front of him. They would push about how much he enjoyed coming to see me and enjoyed where I lived in front of him. You could tell he would get irritated.

9 months came and we had booked a trip to CO for vacation. He payed for it all and was we were both super excited. About two weeks before we left poo hit the fan so to say... he contacted me at my daughter's recital that he was an alcoholic and that things were getting tough for him. He stopped for all of two weeks on his own and started right back. Well things only went down hill from there. I had no idea what having an addiction was like. I started seeing all the lies and webs and how deep this really went. I tried to help which eventually lead to his anger which I had never seen before. He told me that he wanted to do what he wanted to do when he wanted to do it. I seemed to be getting in the way of that. We went on our trip and I was nervous the whole time but it was still very enjoyable.
WelI started feeling him pull away and revert into his self. I tried to help which made it worse. I asked if our relationship was still something he wanted and he said yes but actions were not matching words. I pushed one night got blamed for everything and "grounded" for exactly 24 hours. He would not talk to me respond to me. I called and told him punishment is not how we treat adults and I wanted no part of a relationship that was like that. Next at exactly 24hrs on the dot he texted me to say he had a life where he was abd he want finished with it and that the distance 1:30 he drive was killing him.

A week later he came to get his stuff after I told him he just couldn't leave it here. It hurt to see it. He came after a long excuses about extra shifts and no one at work and so on. He couldn't even look at me could nearly talk and I was right there. I asked if he wanted help getting in the car. It was alot! He slowly closed the car and did walk over to me . I told him it couldn't be this hard. He hugged me right kissed my cheek and he smelled the stro gest of alchohol I have ever smelled.

My heart drove off when he did. I just dont understand how it was all a lie! I feel crazy and somehow it was all my fault. I just wanted to help him and I loved him I really was a future but I'm not sure what is real and what is not. 😭😢😭💔
Advice is very welcome ... I'm not sure If I am coming or going.
Also soooo much more then I can type.
Edit Reply
Alcoholism

Featured Center

This is a great resource for alcohol detox information.
Find Facilities

Browse Featured Articles

Getting Help
Relapse Warning Signs

Relationships
The Importance of Confidentiality in the Recovery Process

Treatment Center Information
Top 4 Logical Reasons Why Addicts Choose to Skip Rehab
For more useful tips and valuable resources subscribe to the SoberRecovery email newsletter

email address
Subscribe
Do you live in Canada? Sign up here.

Treatment Facilities
Addiction Info
Recovery Support
The Forums
Customer Service
Advertise
List Your Facility
Contact Us
Get Help
Your Time is Valuable. Save it with an Easy Marketing Strategy.
Advertise With Us

vBulletin® v3.8.11, Copyright ©2000-2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Advertise on SoberRecovery.com
© 2017 Sober Recovery. All rights reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of Sober Recovery's "Terms of Use", "Privacy Policy", "Cookie Policy", and "Health Disclaimer". The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Mobile Chat (80)

Last edited by Equestrian83; 07-30-2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Extra text
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story.
Yes, you did dodge a bullet.
This site has a lot of good reference material and support. Sorry you are feeling this way, but you definitely dodged a bullet.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Equestrian.
Welcome.
You did the right thing.
It’s okay to grieve the end of the relationship, once so promising.
Keep coming back. Lots of support here.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Schne: you dodged a bullet and you should be thankful.

His parents were encouraging the two of you with the storage unit stuff because they want him out. Life with an active A is tough and, even though they are his parents, they probably can’t take it and know how hard it is to get him on his own.

You’re an empath who wanted to help him and to fix him and you couldn’t—because he is an A and can only be helped when he decides he will get help. Yes, this hurts. And you did absolutely nothing to cause the situation so please do not accept blame.

Read the documents stored, read the threads and the stories: that could have been you. You could have lived through what I did. Be so very thankful that you didn’t.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Schne View Post
This site has a lot of good reference material and support. Sorry you are feeling this way, but you definitely dodged a bullet.
Thank you I would like to understand
And let go 😢
Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leelee168 View Post
I agree with Schne: you dodged a bullet and you should be thankful.

His parents were encouraging the two of you with the storage unit stuff because they want him out. Life with an active A is tough and, even though they are his parents, they probably can’t take it and know how hard it is to get him on his own.

You’re an empath who wanted to help him and to fix him and you couldn’t—because he is an A and can only be helped when he decides he will get help. Yes, this hurts. And you did absolutely nothing to cause the situation so please do not accept blame.

Read the documents stored, read the threads and the stories: that could have been you. You could have lived through what I did. Be so very thankful that you didn’t.
Thank you I have been reading and learning and trying to see what I need to work on for myself. Starting to pray again and hope that I did not bring this on myself or attract him with out knowing it
Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Schne View Post
How can someone so functional be so broken. Alcohalic, bipolar, social anxiety... which he had a medication for each of those even the alcohal yo drink less. I am on the crazy train.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Equestrian......you ask what was "real or not".....I think the important thing to recognize, is, that your feelings were and are real....
You attached/bonded with someone who just doesn't have it together enough to be relationship material....for whatever his basket of reasons are....and, for Pete's sake---do not spin your wheels by trying to "figure him out"...as it will drive you Krazy and you will never get anywhere....
Dating is to allow yourself time and opportunity to figure out who m ight be a good partner...or not.....
You got your answer...this is not the one for you...in less than a year.....in many respects, you are lucky that it did not take longer.....

You invested a lot of yourself into this relationship.....so, naturally, you are going to go through a period of grief.....this is normal, anytime anyone experiences a significant loss.....
Allow yourself time to grieve and heal....consider this as a learning experience, and go forward with your life....
Old 07-30-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Equestrian.....I am dedicating the following song to you....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=youtub...e79bba0e1e6a98
Old 07-30-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Equestrian......you ask what was "real or not".....I think the important thing to recognize, is, that your feelings were and are real....
You attached/bonded with someone who just doesn't have it together enough to be relationship material....for whatever his basket of reasons are....and, for Pete's sake---do not spin your wheels by trying to "figure him out"...as it will drive you Krazy and you will never get anywhere....
Dating is to allow yourself time and opportunity to figure out who m ight be a good partner...or not.....
You got your answer...this is not the one for you...in less than a year.....in many respects, you are lucky that it did not take longer.....

You invested a lot of yourself into this relationship.....so, naturally, you are going to go through a period of grief.....this is normal, anytime anyone experiences a significant loss.....
Allow yourself time to grieve and heal....consider this as a learning experience, and go forward with your life....
Thank you Dandylion
My brain knows that but my heart (ENFP) is still catching up.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dandylion
Thank you very kind and thoughtful! Lol I love that song but never listened to the words!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You dodged a bullet. He showed his best side of you - and you did notice tiny pink or red flags- takes a while to get to know someone. It sounds like he was a wonderful person in so many other ways- BUT alcoholism will keep you on a merrygoround. You may want to go to Alanon- just to hear what would have been ahead for you. It's not pretty. This was just the tip of the iceberg.Takes courage to end things!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
You dodged a bullet. He showed his best side of you - and you did notice tiny pink or red flags- takes a while to get to know someone. It sounds like he was a wonderful person in so many other ways- BUT alcoholism will keep you on a merrygoround. You may want to go to Alanon- just to hear what would have been ahead for you. It's not pretty. This was just the tip of the iceberg.Takes courage to end things!
After reading so many of these I can tell it was the right move and my heart goes out to all involved with this sickness. Hugs to all!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Equestrian83 View Post
Thank you... the shock is wearing off and I can see clearer each day. I am also in therapy to help with being mad at myself for this.
Equestrian, I'm really sorry you got hurt in all of this.

I think it's great that you are seeking therapy to help you work through it.

I can understand your anger at yourself - you are probably asking why you did this to yourself! Well you know, from your description he sounds like initially he was a pretty nice guy!

People show us what they want us to see initially and probably especially when there are big problems (like addiction).

Now you know. You know that having a glass of wine for breakfast isn't a good sign, but when you enter their world of alcoholism, even though in hindsight it probably seems totally wacky, the wacky becomes the norm. Someone calmly tells you that they drink wine with their cereal because they work night shift. Ok. It probably sounds believable because they either actually believe it too or they have justified it so many times in their head it just rolls off their tongue.

We went on our trip and I was nervous the whole time but it was still very enjoyable.
I think realistically, when you look back on this trip that you will find it wasn't so enjoyable. How could it be when you were nervous the whole time.

That's pretty telling really. If you had stayed with him it would be more of this, more of the same. You get to walk on eggshells because you don't want him to get angry with your talk of help or don't want to freak him out with talk of your future or don't want to say anything when you are at the swim up bar and he has to have a flotation device to keep him upright at the bar!

I think another huge red flag is appearing normal most of the time despite drinking what for non-alcoholics would be a lot of alcohol. I wouldn't expect someone having a glass of wine with dinner to show any change, more than that - people start to get tipsy. If they aren't that shows a tolerance to alcohol that could indicate a problem.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

I can understand your anger at yourself - you are probably asking why you did this to yourself! Well you know, from your description he sounds like initially he was a pretty nice guy!

People show us what they want us to see initially and probably especially when there are big problems (like addiction).

Now you know. You know that having a glass of wine for breakfast isn't a good sign, but when you enter their world of alcoholism, even though in hindsight it probably seems totally wacky, the wacky becomes the norm. Someone calmly tells you that they drink wine with their cereal because they work night shift. Ok. It probably sounds believable because they either actually believe it too or they have justified it so many times in their head it just rolls off their tongue.

I think realistically, when you look back on this trip that you will find it wasn't so enjoyable. How could it be when you were nervous the whole time.

That's pretty telling really. If you had stayed with him it would be more of this, more of the same. You get to walk on eggshells because you don't want him to get angry with your talk of help or don't want to freak him out with talk of your future or don't want to say anything when you are at the swim up bar and he has to have a flotation device to keep him upright at the bar!

I think another huge red flag is appearing normal most of the time despite drinking what for non-alcoholics would be a lot of alcohol. I wouldn't expect someone having a glass of wine with dinner to show any change, more than that - people start to get tipsy. If they aren't that shows a tolerance to alcohol that could indicate a problem.
You are right on so many levels I think he showed me all the best he had, but that was not the real guy. Once I started visiting his parents he didn't talk much to them and it was not very nice. I was so confused by this and at that point almost til the end I had no clue about the relationship. I have realize I was quite ignorant when it came to addiction. Red flags yes but the pieces did not fit until the end and the lies went deep a whole webs worth.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

You are right on so many levels I think he showed me all the best he had, but that was not the real guy. Once I started visiting his parents he didn't talk much to them and it was not very nice. I was so confused by this and at that point almost til the end I had no clue about the relationship. I have realize I was quite ignorant when it came to addiction. Red flags yes but the pieces did not fit until the end and the lies went deep a whole webs worth.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What has gone on with your relationship was very real. And yes, you dodged a bullet. How could you have known at first he had so many problems? We don't often see the problems right away because naturally people put their best foot forward. Unless we are with them 24/7 we just don't get the whole picture. Be extra extra good to yourself ; find something nice to do for yourself every day, even if it doesn't seem like a whole heck of lot.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. It may help to think of it this way: he's in no shape to be a partner to you. That doesn't mean he didn't love you at all. It means he loved you the best that he could manage at the time.

Yep, red flags everywhere: 38 and living with his folks, and not a good relationship there. Wine for breakfast...

It's scary that he's an ER nurse. There are lives are in an addict's hands.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
What has gone on with your relationship was very real. And yes, you dodged a bullet. How could you have known at first he had so many problems? We don't often see the problems right away because naturally people put their best foot forward. Unless we are with them 24/7 we just don't get the whole picture. Be extra extra good to yourself ; find something nice to do for yourself every day, even if it doesn't seem like a whole heck of lot.
Thank you ... for you for your kindness. I'm working on it 😊
Old 08-04-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I'm so sorry. It may help to think of it this way: he's in no shape to be a partner to you. That doesn't mean he didn't love you at all. It means he loved you the best that he could manage at the time.

Yep, red flags everywhere: 38 and living with his folks, and not a good relationship there. Wine for breakfast...

It's scary that he's an ER nurse. There are lives are in an addict's hands.
I think it's scary too and no empathy for the other addicts or bipolar patients who come in. They are in bad shape and he has no sympathy for them. He says he has seen other alcoholics and he isn't as bad as them. 🤯