Notices

Feeling shameful

Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling shameful

Hi everyone,
I just had a relapse after 29 days sober.
I could feel it coming on because I was feeling really uncomfortable.... tension headaches, not sleeping well, fogginess and a lot of rage. It gets worse... I proceeded to go on a social media site and publicly flog the relative of an old friend (who kept posting undesirable comments on my page) with some hurtful and private information about my friend. Completely severed that relationship and embarrassed myself. It’s so scary how I lose control. It seems that any time I drink now, I sever a relationship. I wish I could go back in time and stop the behavior from happening. Can anyone relate?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi absolutely 100%.

I recently had 31 days and have been struggling to find a foothold ever since.
I am clawing my way back though!
It was unwanted attention from a woman for me, just put my head into a tailspin it took 5 days for it to totally engulf me before I relapsed
Got all out of sync emotionally.. rage lust obsession frustration! Nightmare! Control!
I've got a new sponsor now we haven't got of to a great start because I've been drinking again but I'm abstinent today👍so that's good.
Are you in the 12 step program?
I need other people to help me SR isn't enough for me it's part if a package of tools I can access.
BTW Shame yes it's a poison so crippling . Don't need that toxic emotion running riot!!
I draw strength from my 31 days and will now come back stronger you can too!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The shame and regret is debilitating. I slipped up yesterday. I want let this happen again. It's so not worth it1
Old 04-15-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yep..... been there many, many times.

good news though - the shame is a thing you can choose to let go....

and embrace a new life that is free from it for good.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I encourage you to come up with a plan for how you handle the build up before the relapse. Sometimes just quitting the booze isn't enough. Learning to live life and cope with emotional, physical challenges is really the meat and potatoes of recovery.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will be completely honest, you need a plan and one that you stick to. No more of this "well I planned, I wished, I wanted etc". Start taking responsibility of your actions. NOTHING justifies drinking, only you. Its your choice
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I encourage you to come up with a plan for how you handle the build up before the relapse. Sometimes just quitting the booze isn't enough. Learning to live life and cope with emotional, physical challenges is really the meat and potatoes of recovery.
Thank you, yes I agree. The experience made me realize how uncomfortable I am with my anger and instead of coping with it in a healthy way, I choose passive or displaced rage and lash out after the resentment has been building.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghoster18 View Post
Hi absolutely 100%.

I recently had 31 days and have been struggling to find a foothold ever since.
I am clawing my way back though!
It was unwanted attention from a woman for me, just put my head into a tailspin it took 5 days for it to totally engulf me before I relapsed
Got all out of sync emotionally.. rage lust obsession frustration! Nightmare! Control!
I've got a new sponsor now we haven't got of to a great start because I've been drinking again but I'm abstinent today👍so that's good.
Are you in the 12 step program?
I need other people to help me SR isn't enough for me it's part if a package of tools I can access.
BTW Shame yes it's a poison so crippling . Don't need that toxic emotion running riot!!
I draw strength from my 31 days and will now come back stronger you can too!
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I hear ya... it’s a slippery slope. So, I started to go to AA meetings but only kind of half*ssed attempt. I need to take it more seriously. I suffer from social anxiety and felt thrown off when I went to a closed meeting and they started passing the microphone around to every person. I panicked and have been mostly choosing speaker meetings ever since. I don’t have a sponsor yet.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean1978 View Post
I will be completely honest, you need a plan and one that you stick to. No more of this "well I planned, I wished, I wanted etc". Start taking responsibility of your actions. NOTHING justifies drinking, only you. Its your choice
Yes definitely. One issue I have is that I’ve spent a lifetime creating a pattern of self sabotaging any plans. I know it sounds like I’m making excuses. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hell yeah, CAC1013! I am a sister in crime with you! One more reason to work at recovery is that (we) probably won't post insulting or stoopid remarks as (I have been) guilty of posting while under the influence.

I am thankful for having found SR as it allows me to not feel like I am the only one fighting these demons.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tough love for me now
Its the only way through and out Into a quality existence!

I'm reading
The saboteur within by Matt Hudson an AA sponsor with many good sober years recommended it!

Remember... Alone we must do it But we can't do it Alone!
I need SR but more importantly for me I need eyeballing, real physical connections meetings phone calls and a daily plan to help.me overcome this problem.
Sending you best wishes
G
Old 04-15-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghoster18 View Post
Tough love for me now
Its the only way through and out Into a quality existence!

I'm reading
The saboteur within by Matt Hudson an AA sponsor with many good sober years recommended it!
alone.

Remember... Alone we must do it But we can't do it Alone!
I need SR but more importantly for me I need eyeballing, real physical connections meetings phone calls and a daily plan to help.me overcome this problem.
Sending you best wishes
G

Thank you so much, G! I will check out that book. I’m definitely hearing from you all that I can’t do this alone.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

YES!!!

When I was about 23 I was trashed and msged an old childhood friend that I hadn’t spoken to since we were kids. That I was going to kill myself 🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️

Me and alcohol and social media are a cataclysmic mixture. I’m 99% sure that goes for all addicts and alcoholics.

POSTING under the influence, PUI, just stay away

The shame will pass I promise
Old 04-15-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, quitting drinking for me always exposes me to my underlying issues - repressed anger, shame, self-esteem issues, or whatever they may be. Unfortuneltely, it can be an eye-opening and painful experience when you take away the numbing effects of alcohol.

I’m learning there’s only one way and that’s to deal with it head on. That means recovery methods, therapy, meditation, or whatever you choose. Yea, there are still times I want a drink (at 52 days), but drinking simply never solves anything and leaves me back at square one - alone, defeated, grasping for help.

FEAR - Face everything and recover or **** everything and run

Welcome back, I’ve relapsed many times. Hope you can put a plan in place that works this time. You can do it!
Old 04-15-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem aboard CAC1013

I spent a lot of time here in the early days - I can recommend that as a good start

D
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Posting here is a good start. Here is a link to recovery plans, it really helped me to have multiple levels to my recovery plan.

When I first decided to get sober I really just focused on not drinking. I wasn't thinking about having s plan that truly addressed my physical, mental and spiritual needs. I did that January 1, 2016, and have bee sober since that date.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)