Notices

Day 33: numb

Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 33: numb

hey guys,
So I hear a lot of folks talk about how emotional they get after quitting alcohol. stating it feels like a roller coaster of emotions or that they just plain can feel emotion again. for me its not like that. I get very numb to the world and every time I have ever quit it has been this way.

It takes almost extreme situations for me to feel anything usually just anger or more depression. I feel as though its part of being a dry drunk? kind of like even though the booze isn't around everything is the same. I feel like I am just watching my self vicariously live through the day. even if that is the case I am stuck in my living and job situation for another 50ish days. Feel like I need to rebuild my life from the ground up, figure out who I am and where I want to go in life.

anyone else get like this? and if so any coping strategies you could give would be awesome. been wanting to hit up some AA meetings but I don't really want to meet a bunch of people if I will be moving away in a month or two.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was numb for about 3 months..I think my body/mind was just exhausted from the years of abuse I put them through..kinda like how in the friends&family section when they/we say "just done with it"..It's a slap of reality when you face your 'demons' whatever those may be.

Edit: Yes..hit up some AA! It really helped me get my head on semi straight and gave me the kick in the pants I needed to face life without my 'crutches'(booze,toxic people,ect..)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyones different - some of us had a tumult of emotions - others struggled to feel anything much at all.

I felt like I'd never feel joy again but it came back after about the 3 month mark for me.

I would check out some AA meetings if you've a mind to - does it really matter that you'll be moving away soon?

D