Notices

I think I have brain damage...Seriously.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I have brain damage...Seriously.

So, and I am not bragging, but I am, or was, a pretty smart person. Prestigious undergrad and graduate schools. Pretty successful professional career. Less gravity knows what I am talking about.

But I am finding since I quit my memory is shot. I am not neArly as sharp as I was. And I mean I was so f’ing sharp I could take down high-powered corporate executives. Now, I am having trouble changing radio channels.

I am scared.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're early in recovery, right? Don't expect to feel this way forever. It gets better the longer you're sober. It takes time to heal and get back to normal functioning. Give it time.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, you’re not alone. Give it Time, as least says.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I struggled significantly with short term memory, focus, word recall, etc. for quite a few months in early sobriety and recovery, horn.

The good news is that the issues resolved with time; be patient.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Horn,

Not to dismiss your worries, because I"m good at that worrying too.. but maybe you are being hard on yourself? Remind me how much sober time you have? You very well could still be healing and recalibrating.. emerging from the fog.. after years of steeping your brain in alcohol. The body and brain are remarkably resilient but it doesn't happen overnight.

Is it possible something else is going on? Have you ever struggled with depression or anxiety? Maybe that's what is dragging you down and diminishing your typical sharp focus? Have you had a full medical checkup recently?

I do know that there is no way you'd be better off drinking again.

It has taken me months to start to feel more like my old self.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I encountered the same thing in early recovery. I was also super emotional. It took several months for my brain fog to start clearing. Hang in there; it will get better.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a common side effect Horn. You are very, very early in the process and need to give it time. But if you think about it - you are completely cognizant of what is going on and recognize it...so you can't be losing your mind, right? ;-) AKA - if you lost your mind would you even know it.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the quick responses. I was in a meeti yesterday and I could not remember basic words. I thought I wa having early dementia. Maybe I am.

I know drink will not make it better. But GD.......
Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 40 days sober and I'm experiencing the same thing. One day I'll be better than the next day brain fog and fatique. Its one day at a time.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought I was having early dementia. Maybe I am.

or maybe youre having early recovery.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Brain damage isn't a symptom of sobriety...no matter what your addiction says otherwise.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Thanks for all the quick responses. I was in a meeti yesterday and I could not remember basic words. I thought I wa having early dementia. Maybe I am.

I know drink will not make it better. But GD.......
You are healing, Horn.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think these people might be right if your in early sobriety that could be the cause.When I stayed sober for 18 months before in university some days I could not do assignments and write clearly at all, other days I was on fire and scored top marks in an assignment or exam and the lecture could not understand how I could one day get top marks and the next just barely pass. I was referred to an educational psychologist to be tested for dyslexia which I did not have but the alcohol has caused permanent damage to some cognitive functions but saying that it does getter better even if not fully.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope things improve soon, Horn.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Know what you mean Horn. I thought I answered this thread right after least's post.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very very common.
Things will get better Horn - try not to panic

D
Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's taken me about 14 months to feel confident in my decisions as far as business things(life basically) go. I was terrified after 90+days that my motivation/drive was lost in the drink...slowly started coming back once I started piecing together other areas of my life. I'm still remembering who I was before drinking and happy in life,so I'm still working on it, but feel about 80% confident with everyday life again.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will share my experience. For awhile after quitting I did feel "dumb", just not real sharp and its not a very comfortable feeling. But I kept reading and learning and doing things to keep my mind active. I now feel as sharp as ever. I still have the occasional brain fart like anyone, but I'm "at the ready" most any time.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Alcoholic brain damage is culmulative in my experience. I know I did a lot of damage. It got better mid life, but its effects are beginning to make themselves felt again as I have got older. You've heard of wet brain? That's the end of the road for alcoholics.

I have seen one or two alcoholics have just one too many drinks and go from foggy brain to permamanent incapacity. It is an incredible thing to watch. We have special wards in psychiatric hospitals for these folks. They never get better, the damage does not heal.

This is a serious business. We don't get endless chances, unlimited comebacks from relapse. We never know which will be the fatal first drink that takes us off to death or permanent insanity. There is no glossing over it. The pathology and prognosis is the same for all chronic alcoholics. Today we have the opportunity to recover. Tomorrow it may be gone.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I blame it on early sobriety. I'm in the same boat.

Example: I was making french toast last week & cracked my first egg, put it in bowl & put the shell on a napkin. Took next egg, cracked it and poured the egg onto the napkin. DUH! I spaced out!

Noticed forgetfulness & spacing out, thinking about other things instead of what I'm supposed to be concentrating on.