Notices

Back again

Old 02-26-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Well....I'm back again. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get this but I figure that if I don't try then I have no chance.

I've been drinking for two weeks and already my life has become unmanageable. I can't cope with it anymore. I've learned more. I suppose that's something. Mind you, how many times do I need to go through this to learn?

I so grateful to have this place to try and anchor myself again. My head is a hostile environment and I need something to hold on to.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you need only go through it as many times as you choose to.

try this today:

"I want sobriety"

"I want a rich and present life of joy"

"I want to be happy"

"Today, I honor all those things"

Then - act in support of those statements.

It's not easy, but it's a simple as that.

You can do it. I did.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sorry to hear that Gabe. My life was at its most unmanageable in the instant before I took the fatal first drink. The solution was to appoint a new manager so I wouldn't lead myself down that path again.

While drinking, the apparent unmangeabilty is just the consequences. When sober, the consequence of the unmanageability is more drinking. That is the unmanageability of step one.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
you need only go through it as many times as you choose to.

try this today:

"I want sobriety"

"I want a rich and present life of joy"

"I want to be happy"

"Today, I honor all those things"

Then - act in support of those statements.

It's not easy, but it's a simple as that.

You can do it. I did.

This will work. We are here for you.

You can do it--
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've just got the BB and a guide to how to use, so I think I'm going to start there. I need something else as all the reading and the educational stuff I've been reading doesn't seem to be enough. I just understand now that I'm poisoning myself. It's so humiliating to keep going through this and I'm really worried about my job too. I'm either drunk or worrying, all the time. Thank you Gottalife.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

We are here for you Gabe.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. I need it. You folks are really great.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A little trick with the Big Book, apart from the obvious start at the beginning, is to take all the medical opinion and alcholic experience that you will read, and convert it to questions. Is this me? How does my experience compare with that?

Filter everything through your own experience. If you are an alcoholic of my type, this is a well proven approach.

I wish you every success Gabe.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I've just got the BB and a guide to how to use, so I think I'm going to start there. I need something else as all the reading and the educational stuff I've been reading doesn't seem to be enough..
notice the title of three chapters in the big book
how it works
into action
working with others

works.....action....working...

a few line from the big book:

Now we need more action, without which we find that "Faith without works is dead."

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action...

But we must go further and that means more action

and ask for the right thought or action

There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead."

a practical program of action.

Outline the program of action

Tell him you once felt as he does, but you doubt whether you would have made much progress had you not taken action.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
A little trick with the Big Book, apart from the obvious start at the beginning, is to take all the medical opinion and alcholic experience that you will read, and convert it to questions. Is this me? How does my experience compare with that?

Filter everything through your own experience. If you are an alcoholic of my type, this is a well proven approach.

I wish you every success Gabe.
That's really helpful, thank you. I'm going to make a start and post on the AA thread here to ask for a bit of guidance and advice. I feel quite comforted today knowing that I need to try something new. I can't go it alone.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
notice the title of three chapters in the big book
how it works
into action
working with others

works.....action....working...

a few line from the big book:

Now we need more action, without which we find that "Faith without works is dead."

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action...

But we must go further and that means more action

and ask for the right thought or action

There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead."

a practical program of action.

Outline the program of action

Tell him you once felt as he does, but you doubt whether you would have made much progress had you not taken action.
I think I get what you mean. It's interesting what you say as when I got to six weeks sober I really felt a sense of faith. Not had that before and didn't really know what to do so I didn't do anything and it went away. I had a real sense of wonder and gratitude for a while and I wished I had nurtured it. Action is the thing. Not thinking, doing.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe,

It's so nice to see you here this morning. I have missed seeing you in the 24 hour thread.

You can do this. The anxiety and worry will start to lessen the more sobriety you get u dear your belt. You were doing well when you were checking in every day, start doing that again, and also try adding another layer of support whether that's AA, counseling, another face to face support grou, or a combination of all of the above.

Also, remember this is. 24/7 thread, post as soon as you have any thought of drinking, and someone will be here to talk you through it.

I'm glad you're back.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-26-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Delilah, I'm really touched by your post. I'm also really glad to be back. I've missed everyone here. I definitely need to try some new things and reach out for help. Coming back to SR is my first step in doing that.

I'll find my way. I just need to accept that some things/relationships will change. It's always the thing that trips me up but only because I let it 💗
Old 02-26-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well....I'm back again. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get this but I figure that if I don't try then I have no chance.

I've been drinking for two weeks and already my life has become unmanageable. I can't cope with it anymore. I've learned more. I suppose that's something. Mind you, how many times do I need to go through this to learn?

I so grateful to have this place to try and anchor myself again. My head is a hostile environment and I need something to hold on to.

Welcome back. I am sure coming back isn't easy, so that is a great start!
You can do it, you can choose to not purchase alcohol, you can choose not to drink it, you can choose to find something else to do. The choice is yours, no one said it was easy... That is for damn sure, but I tell you what it is SO worth it, and so are YOU!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Gabe!

You're right, taking action is the answer. Of course, reading and learning are part of the process, but taking action each day will really help you. What can you add to your day to help support your recovery? And, know that we are always here for you.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Welcome back. I am sure coming back isn't easy, so that is a great start!
You can do it, you can choose to not purchase alcohol, you can choose not to drink it, you can choose to find something else to do. The choice is yours, no one said it was easy... That is for damn sure, but I tell you what it is SO worth it, and so are YOU!
Yup, it definitely isn't easy but I never seem to get past the point where it becomes easier. Stuck continually in the horrible early stages. I'm sure it's worth it, I hear how happy everyone is here in their long term sobriety and its inspiring!

I'm still working on me being worth. I feel like something a sheep threw up today! Thank you for the encouragement. I need to own my choices. They are mine.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome back, Gabe!

You're right, taking action is the answer. Of course, reading and learning are part of the process, but taking action each day will really help you. What can you add to your day to help support your recovery? And, know that we are always here for you.
Thanks Anna �� I really want to go to meetings but I can't here (I'm on a tiny island where meetings are run by a partner support service to the one I work for, no personal privacy) so I've been trying to go it alone. I going to look into online meetings and other types of face to face groups/activities to connect with people sober. I need other things in my life. I need a life!

I've found it so hard to motivate myself so I reckon start small and build. Can't handle too much failure just now.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup, it definitely isn't easy but I never seem to get past the point where it becomes easier. Stuck continually in the horrible early stages. I'm sure it's worth it, I hear how happy everyone is here in their long term sobriety and its inspiring!

I'm still working on me being worth. I feel like something a sheep threw up today! Thank you for the encouragement. I need to own my choices. They are mine.
It took me about 3 months before I was all self-love You can get there and reap the rewards!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am going to be honest.

I don't think sobriety is always the answer to happiness - "If I stop drinking I will be happy". It is like saying - "If only I win the lottery, I will be happy" I have people I know that get sober and weeks, months, etc out - they still aren't happy and back to the drink they go.

But stopping drinking will allow one to figure out what is keeping you from being happy.