Notices

Back again

Old 02-26-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I think I get what you mean. It's interesting what you say as when I got to six weeks sober I really felt a sense of faith. Not had that before and didn't really know what to do so I didn't do anything and it went away. I had a real sense of wonder and gratitude for a while and I wished I had nurtured it. Action is the thing. Not thinking, doing.
cool beans!
ya know,gabe, when i got into AA i wasnt sure if it would work to help me- i didnt have faith in the program. going to meetings and listening plus reading the big book, i started gaining faith the program would help me.hearing the depths others had went- the thinking thing and not the drinking- gave me faith that if it worked for them, it would work for me so long as i put in the footwork. like it says in how it works:
if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths, then you are ready to take certain steps.
i decided i wanted what they had and what the program promised.
i started doing what the BB suggested. at 90 days, i didnt know what was different, but something was- it didnt feel normal.
it didnt feel normal because my idea of normal was determined by 23 years of drinking. what i was feeling was the promises of the steps occuring; at 90 days, the gloom,dispair, and agony were leaving and i was starting to get glimpses of peace and serenity- i was starting to recover from the hopeless state of mind.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
I am going to be honest.

I don't think sobriety is always the answer to happiness - "If I stop drinking I will be happy". It is like saying - "If only I win the lottery, I will be happy" I have people I know that get sober and weeks, months, etc out - they still aren't happy and back to the drink they go.

But stopping drinking will allow one to figure out what is keeping you from being happy.
I think you are right. I know that I'm a lot happier when I'm sober because all the crap that I have to deal with while drinking isn't there but I still have a fair bit to figure out about what makes me happy. I know that all the over thinking and worrying gives me massive cravings for relief so that's probably the place to start. Peace of mind.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
cool beans!
ya know,gabe, when i got into AA i wasnt sure if it would work to help me- i didnt have faith in the program. going to meetings and listening plus reading the big book, i started gaining faith the program would help me.hearing the depths others had went- the thinking thing and not the drinking- gave me faith that if it worked for them, it would work for me so long as i put in the footwork. like it says in how it works:
if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths, then you are ready to take certain steps.
i decided i wanted what they had and what the program promised.
i started doing what the BB suggested. at 90 days, i didnt know what was different, but something was- it didnt feel normal.
it didnt feel normal because my idea of normal was determined by 23 years of drinking. what i was feeling was the promises of the steps occuring; at 90 days, the gloom,dispair, and agony were leaving and i was starting to get glimpses of peace and serenity- i was starting to recover from the hopeless state of mind.
Sounds awesome, just awesome. I'm ready to try something. The faith/higher power element of AA always put me off a bit but it's actually the part that is drawing me in now. I feel quite ready to turn my life over as I'm making a total arse of it myself! But I do need to learn to prioritise the work as I'm not consistent. Other things become more important, then I start drinking again and realise that staying sober is more important than everything else.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The faith/higher power element of AA always put me off a bit but it's actually the part that is drawing me in now. I feel quite ready to turn my life over as I'm making a total arse of it myself! But I do need to learn to prioritise the work as I'm not consistent. Other things become more important, then I start drinking again and realise that staying sober is more important than everything else.
the HP is actually pretty simple:
we have had a higher power in our lives for a long time- alcohol. however, that HP didnt help us. now we look for a HP that can help us with our problem- a HP not of this world. it doesnt matter what ya call it( i call mine God, but sometimes its boss man, sometimes dude. sometimes just,"yo, you listenin?") . the HP just has to make sense to you.
heres the 24 hours a day reading from january 6th- one of my favorites. maybe you could print it out and put copies where you'll see them daily?

AA Thought for the Day
Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day
I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it God cannot give me this power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power in my life.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe
Welcome back , nice to here from you again ,I have been drinking since Christmas thinking I could control it but of course I could not...on day 12 now
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
the HP is actually pretty simple:
we have had a higher power in our lives for a long time- alcohol. however, that HP didnt help us. now we look for a HP that can help us with our problem- a HP not of this world. it doesnt matter what ya call it( i call mine God, but sometimes its boss man, sometimes dude. sometimes just,"yo, you listenin?") . the HP just has to make sense to you.
heres the 24 hours a day reading from january 6th- one of my favorites. maybe you could print it out and put copies where you'll see them daily?

AA Thought for the Day
Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day
I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it God cannot give me this power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may face and accept whatever discipline is necessary. I pray that I may be fit to receive God's power in my life.
Thanks so much for this. I find it really moving. I'm going to write it out and read these as part of my morning routine. I love the meditation of the day and the commitment to discipline.

I have a strong sense of something greater than myself, I usually think of it as a universal energy or spirit. I've started reading the BB guide through the steps today. It's really resonated.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Endoftheday View Post
Hi Gabe
Welcome back , nice to here from you again ,I have been drinking since Christmas thinking I could control it but of course I could not...on day 12 now
Nice to hear from you too! I know, I decided that I was missing out and that drinking was going to be great. It's been awful. I had six weeks sober again. Good for you on day 12. I'm sure we can do this. Find the missing pieces and try again.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome back Gabe! Sorry you feel so rough but it sounds like you're ready to go at it again, hopefully the last time.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
Welcome back Gabe! Sorry you feel so rough but it sounds like you're ready to go at it again, hopefully the last time.
Thanks JJ. I'm really hoping this is it x
Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds awesome, just awesome. I'm ready to try something. The faith/higher power element of AA always put me off a bit but it's actually the part that is drawing me in now. I feel quite ready to turn my life over as I'm making a total arse of it myself! But I do need to learn to prioritise the work as I'm not consistent. Other things become more important, then I start drinking again and realise that staying sober is more important than everything else.
Hi Gabe

This might resonate with you, maybe not, but I'll write anyway.

At a SMART meeting we listed all the things that were most important in our lives. The things most agreed on are children, work, health, friends and spouse (though not that order necessarily). Then we accepted that we had put alcohol on top of the list as the most important when actively drinking. Now we were not drinking it makes sense to put recovery at the top of the list.

Welcome back.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Hi Gabe

This might resonate with you, maybe not, but I'll write anyway.

At a SMART meeting we listed all the things that were most important in our lives. The things most agreed on are children, work, health, friends and spouse (though not that order necessarily). Then we accepted that we had put alcohol on top of the list as the most important when actively drinking. Now we were not drinking it makes sense to put recovery at the top of the list.

Welcome back.
I really like that. Again, it's about being active in recovery. I'm not doing enough to support myself just now. I feel like there is never enough time but then look how much time I can spend drinking and being hungover! I feel quite freaked out today about everything but that's always a good motivator. Thanks for that Decchemist and the welcome too.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Gabe

D
Old 02-27-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had a real sense of wonder and gratitude for a while and I wished I had nurtured it. Action is the thing. Not thinking, doing.
Maybe this was a "free sample" of God's grace. Many of us get the same type of thing, but some dismiss it as a pink cloud.

You have hit on what it takes to make it a permanent part of your existence. The good news is that the free sample is somewhat understated. In reality the recovered life is even better!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you back, Gabe! I'm so glad you're part of us. Life is so much better when we're free of it.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you're back Gabe

D
Thanks Dee ☺ I'm really glad to be back to x
Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Great to see you back, Gabe! I'm so glad you're part of us. Life is so much better when we're free of it.
Thanks Hevyn. SR helped me back a lot quicker. I just got to keep working at it and trying to be truthful with myself. I really appreciate everyone's support here. Every time I fall down I seem to learn that bit more. Just need to stop falling down now!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Maybe this was a "free sample" of God's grace. Many of us get the same type of thing, but some dismiss it as a pink cloud.

You have hit on what it takes to make it a permanent part of your existence. The good news is that the free sample is somewhat understated. In reality the recovered life is even better!
You know, when I have felt connected in that way I have felt more comforted and alright in myself than I ever have. I reckon it doesn't matter if God or spirituality, or whatever this is, is part of this for everyone, I think it needs to be for me. Or correction, I want it to be for me.

It's funny, where I come from faith in God is seen as quite a backward thing (please, no offense to anyone intended) but I look around and I don't see many happy people in my life, I mean truly happy and content. They all drink heavily too.
I decided to try out a couple of church services, there is a Buddhist group too I want to try. I think that is where my action needs to start. I've started praying too. I don't think it matters if I believe in Christianity, I can still connect with power greater than me.
What a great thing. I can't do this myself. Everyone seems to have their own way. I'm understanding that now.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great to see you back Gabe.
Best wishes to you.