Notices

Working on acceptance

Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working on acceptance

I'm really stuck with this. I read people here say that once they accepted they could no longer drink and took alcohol off the table they embraced recovery. Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to actually do that. Every time I drink (literally) there is an issue. Today I missed my work. How do I get from here to where I want to be? Thank you
Old 11-20-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started by making a choice to live SOBER.

Then I took alcohol off the table for TODAY.

Then I took actions to support the choice of sober living TODAY.

Then, I did it again the next TODAY.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I started by making a choice to live SOBER.

Then I took alcohol off the table for TODAY.

Then I took actions to support the choice of sober living TODAY.

Then, I did it again the next TODAY.

Thanks FreeOwl. I think I have ended up just living without alcohol. Not the same thing. I think I need to embrace the choice to live SOBER.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not the poster child for AA. However I like this bit from the big book:

And acceptance is the answer to ALL my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation-some fact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be in this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes. P. 417

And action....acting my way into right thinking seems to be the way for me. Not thinking myself into right action. Just do, and the thinking follows. If I try to think my way out of a situation that my thinking/drinking brain got me in, I simply obsessively go in thinking circles.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think that is it in a nutshell. I've just bought BB and a book about 12 steps to read on my tablet.

That's really helpful Frick, thank you.

And also the action needed. I sat obsessing the whole day yesterday. Literally sitting and thinking all day. I was really aware that all I wanted to do was stop....so I drank. Which is what I always did. I feel like I'm fighting everything just now, every thought, every decision. I just want some bloody peace.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The spinning racing thoughts will die down with continued sober time - but not when you keep giving in to them; it's just a matter of holding on UNTIL. It's part of the healing process for the nervous system to go on high alert when the sedative is removed. Give it time to normalize.

Have you read about kindling? Every time you go back the consequences increase. Multiple withdrawals cause damage, Gabe.

Kindling - NIH
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

. How do I get from here to where I want to be? Thank you

i started with surrendering- admitting alcohol had me licked.
then got into action getting to where i wanted to be,which part of that was being free of the mental obsession i had with alcohol and all the other internal turmoil.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is the trickiest part. It's such a mind game.
I tried quitting for years and it didn't work. Until I finally accepted and BELIEVED that:

my life was better without alcohol
I would be healthier without alcohol
I'd sleep better without alcohol
I'd feel less shame about my behavior if I didn't drink, ever
I'd wake up feeling energized and proud, instead of sick and miserable

Before, it was so easy to talk myself into that "one glass" which always became at least a whole bottle of wine. That it "wasn't so bad". Well, it was indeed "SO BAD".

Once I truly realized that and accepted .. plus the realization after trying for years unsuccessfully to moderate that trying to do it part way would never work .. that MY LIFE would be so much better with NO ALCOHOL at all, that I turned the corner.

Now, it seems so much easier. If you put on the scales all you will receive from NOT DRINKING vs what your life is like WITH DRINKING ... It's an easy equation.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Acceptance is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure I can help you achieve it, but the mind is very powerful. I finally came to the conclusion that like you, I did not drink like normal people. I fought that for a long time. After close to a year I accepted it. I accepted this is my new life. And liked it. And I still like it. WIsh you the best.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The spinning racing thoughts will die down with continued sober time - but not when you keep giving in to them; it's just a matter of holding on UNTIL. It's part of the healing process for the nervous system to go on high alert when the sedative is removed. Give it time to normalize.

Have you read about kindling? Every time you go back the consequences increase. Multiple withdrawals cause damage, Gabe.

Kindling - NIH
Thanks BB. I haven't heard about kindling so will have a good look at the links. I already know that each time I go back I do more damage. I think it's about responsibility. ME taking full responsibility. I think part of me was still looking for an out and there is none. Sober or drunk. That's it.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
. How do I get from here to where I want to be? Thank you

i started with surrendering- admitting alcohol had me licked.
then got into action getting to where i wanted to be,which part of that was being free of the mental obsession i had with alcohol and all the other internal turmoil.
Surrendering and accepting. That's where I find myself. I'm done fighting with this and with everything else. I can't do it anymore. Trying to control everything. The minute I stop thinking 'I just need to stay sober today' and start thinking about Everything else I begin to fall apart. Last night was a blessing. I surrender.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Acceptance is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure I can help you achieve it, but the mind is very powerful. I finally came to the conclusion that like you, I did not drink like normal people. I fought that for a long time. After close to a year I accepted it. I accepted this is my new life. And liked it. And I still like it. WIsh you the best.
Thanks Thomas. I'm working on it. I think until I can accept I can't drink I'm stuck in this awful limbo. I need a big dose of humility and some faith in something outside of myself. And a bit of faith in myself too.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
It is the trickiest part. It's such a mind game.
I tried quitting for years and it didn't work. Until I finally accepted and BELIEVED that:

my life was better without alcohol
I would be healthier without alcohol
I'd sleep better without alcohol
I'd feel less shame about my behavior if I didn't drink, ever
I'd wake up feeling energized and proud, instead of sick and miserable

Before, it was so easy to talk myself into that "one glass" which always became at least a whole bottle of wine. That it "wasn't so bad". Well, it was indeed "SO BAD".

Once I truly realized that and accepted .. plus the realization after trying for years unsuccessfully to moderate that trying to do it part way would never work .. that MY LIFE would be so much better with NO ALCOHOL at all, that I turned the corner.

Now, it seems so much easier. If you put on the scales all you will receive from NOT DRINKING vs what your life is like WITH DRINKING ... It's an easy equation.
That's it exactly Tealilly. I've got two options - sober or drunk. There is no middle ground but yet I keep trying to find it. I need to accept that this is the reality and choose a life where I actually feel good and feel good about myself too. I appreciate your post, thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gabe first of all I'm so pleased to see you straight back after yesterday. I do think something happened to your thought processes last night. Somewhere in the fog you realised finally that you are indeed an alcoholic (or whatever term you're comfortable with). That's a start. Sounds small but it isn't. Wouldn't it be easy if you could go to the docs for a blood test and they'd say "yes we confirm you are alcohol dependent 100%" but no we rely on ourselves and evidence even though the addiction itself tries to disguise the truth so we keep going. How nasty and ironic.
Gabe I knew when I was 30 deep down. I'm now 46 with just over 3 months sobriety. So what happened in those lost 16 years? The inevitable downward spiral into alcoholism and the toll on my physical and mental health. Kindling. Yes read up on that it is real. The worsening withdrawals were getting dangerous too. I mention this on the assumption that your dob is 1980 and you're still young enough not to have to go where some of us have (sorry if I have that wrong). I don't think I had any more drinking left in me. It was heading towards being really scary. I was backed onto a corner and had to put my hands up and submit. Accept. Then fight like mad one day at a time to get my life back. And trust me it's just the BEST thing I ever did for myself and my girls. No regrets at all. Sobriety excites me still I love it! That's something you can cling on to right now. You'll love it too! Utterly ordinary becomes extraordinary just because we CAN!
There's an absolutely massive amount of information on alcoholism, Kindling, PAWS, withdrawal, recovery methods etc out there. Immserse yourself in it. Here on SR, the internet, documentaries on YouTube, books...... Gain a healthy respect and fear of the progressive nature of this thing and soon you won't want to touch that poison ever again. Trust me.
And yes get that emergency plan started for those risky days because they do come. Don't trust yourself for a while.
It does get easier Gabe you've just got to dig deeper for a while. I'm not an expert in other recovery methods hun I'm just sharing what's worked for me (so far). I'm a bit of a magpie and take bits and pieces that appeal to me.
Sorry I've gone on a bit (I do that lol)
Great job on getting your first day done!
Head on the pillow sober tonight. Up tomorrow and repeat. Rooting for you xxx
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gabe

I think until I can accept I can't drink I'm stuck in this awful limbo.
try and not think of acceptance as some point ahead that you need to get to - its a process not a destination and you're already well underway with that process, weighting up your past episodes of drinking and the destruction they caused.

There no need to wait for anything - thats classic AV logic. It thinks if it can convince you to wait for something you'll spend the time waiting drinking.

Acceptance is different for everyone.

I eventually accepted that my relationship with alcohol was toxic and always will be.

I had 20 years of raw data to prove that to myself.

The other part of that acceptance was reaching out for help when I needed it...those times when against all logic I had a situation where I wanted to drink.

Those times are tough. I had to remember my reality, and swing my recovery plan into action to stay sober.

The more times I did that, the more 'default' it felt.

D
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As alcoholics, we are hard headed SOB's, especially when it comes to our addiction. Though once we finally put our egos down and admit I can't just "have a few" things change.
Powerlessness doesn't mean you are, in fact, you hold all of it. Though once you put just a drop of the devil in your body, it does make so.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
And trust me it's just the BEST thing I ever did for myself and my girls. No regrets at all. Sobriety excites me still I love it! That's something you can cling on to right now. You'll love it too! Utterly ordinary becomes extraordinary just because we CAN!
I just love this. So insightful, so true.

The ordinary becomes extraordinary, after you stop trying to create the extraordinary from a bottle. (Which is never going to happen.) Simple pleasures resurface. All the gifts, joys were right there all along.

You can do it, Gabe.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Gabe first of all I'm so pleased to see you straight back after yesterday. I do think something happened to your thought processes last night. Somewhere in the fog you realised finally that you are indeed an alcoholic (or whatever term you're comfortable with). That's a start. Sounds small but it isn't. Wouldn't it be easy if you could go to the docs for a blood test and they'd say "yes we confirm you are alcohol dependent 100%" but no we rely on ourselves and evidence even though the addiction itself tries to disguise the truth so we keep going. How nasty and ironic.
Gabe I knew when I was 30 deep down. I'm now 46 with just over 3 months sobriety. So what happened in those lost 16 years? The inevitable downward spiral into alcoholism and the toll on my physical and mental health. Kindling. Yes read up on that it is real. The worsening withdrawals were getting dangerous too. I mention this on the assumption that your dob is 1980 and you're still young enough not to have to go where some of us have (sorry if I have that wrong). I don't think I had any more drinking left in me. It was heading towards being really scary. I was backed onto a corner and had to put my hands up and submit. Accept. Then fight like mad one day at a time to get my life back. And trust me it's just the BEST thing I ever did for myself and my girls. No regrets at all. Sobriety excites me still I love it! That's something you can cling on to right now. You'll love it too! Utterly ordinary becomes extraordinary just because we CAN!
There's an absolutely massive amount of information on alcoholism, Kindling, PAWS, withdrawal, recovery methods etc out there. Immserse yourself in it. Here on SR, the internet, documentaries on YouTube, books...... Gain a healthy respect and fear of the progressive nature of this thing and soon you won't want to touch that poison ever again. Trust me.
And yes get that emergency plan started for those risky days because they do come. Don't trust yourself for a while.
It does get easier Gabe you've just got to dig deeper for a while. I'm not an expert in other recovery methods hun I'm just sharing what's worked for me (so far). I'm a bit of a magpie and take bits and pieces that appeal to me.
Sorry I've gone on a bit (I do that lol)
Great job on getting your first day done!
Head on the pillow sober tonight. Up tomorrow and repeat. Rooting for you xxx
Do you know what? Your post was so great to wake up to this morning. I feel really moved. Thank you. Yeah, born in 1980 and just turned 37. I dont want this for my future. I feel like I've had to stuffing knocked out of me the last couple of days but it feels like a relief. I feel like I can just give up and say 'I cant do this anymore' that its ok to admit this has me totally beaten and start from a humble place of very small steps with my ego left at the door. I'm going through all the tips I've had since I got here and I'm going to read/watch the all properly then work on my plan. I've also just cancelled a course I was due to start so I can give this my all. I'm going to be a magpie too and make a plan that will work for me! 24 hour thread sounds like the right thing too. Thanks again
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
I just love this. So insightful, so true.

The ordinary becomes extraordinary, after you stop trying to create the extraordinary from a bottle. (Which is never going to happen.) Simple pleasures resurface. All the gifts, joys were right there all along.

You can do it, Gabe.
Its inspiring! And I want it too. I've had a couple of false starts now but I think my understanding has grown and I'm starting to get what you all mean. I know I can do it, but it has to be my main priority. I've finally accepted that. Hopefully that is me on my way to acceptance of my condition.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Gabe

try and not think of acceptance as some point ahead that you need to get to - its a process not a destination and you're already well underway with that process, weighting up your past episodes of drinking and the destruction they caused.

There no need to wait for anything - thats classic AV logic. It thinks if it can convince you to wait for something you'll spend the time waiting drinking.

Acceptance is different for everyone.

I eventually accepted that my relationship with alcohol was toxic and always will be.

I had 20 years of raw data to prove that to myself.

The other part of that acceptance was reaching out for help when I needed it...those times when against all logic I had a situation where I wanted to drink.

Those times are tough. I had to remember my reality, and swing my recovery plan into action to stay sober.

The more times I did that, the more 'default' it felt.

D
I think I've been waiting for it like a bolt of lightening or something. Thinking about things this morning I'm starting to get that I have made headway in this and that applying that knowledge has got me from drinking a bottle and a half of wine daily to drinking twice in 3 months. I need to keep adding to my knowledge and trying all the things people here suggest so I can find the way that will work for me. I became passive and I need to be active. Its not enough to just not drink and read on here. If I want it I need to work for it.
And I need to post when Im struggling. Thats when I need help. Not when I'm already drunk.
Thanks Dee