Blocking

Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blocking

I am seriously considering blocking my sister in law from seeing my social media feeds. She sent me a nasty message about a month ago forbidding me from emailing my MIL about AH and accused me of blaming the MIL for our marriage problems, which I was not. But of course she would. I apologized to my MIL in case she saw it that way. But I have no desire to engage the sister in law. She's a self righteous person who really wants to come across as perfect. And I suspect she's bad mouthing me to the
aH when he complains about me, accusing me of being abusive to him. By the way, AH told me she abused him when they were children. The sister in law wants contact only because of my child. Would I be out of line by blocking her?

Last edited by Newlife17; 06-28-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heck no! I would block her in a heartbeat. It isn't your responsibility to keep her up to date on your child. Let your AH deal with her.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think social media is a bane of modern existence. I barely use it--I put a lot of bad guys in jail, and I have no desire to allow them to see who my friends and family are. Moreover, I see no end of grief that comes as a result of the interactions that happen on these platforms. I use LinkedIn, but ONLY to maintain professional contacts.

In short, I see no reason for anyone to feel "obligated" to allow anyone else that kind of access to their lives. If you wouldn't want to go out to lunch with her, I see no reason for you to give her other types of access.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Family of Origin problems ... i have them. you have to control them and limit information. I used to let my family see my facebook etc feeds now they are all blocked, when i want to talk to them i call them, or they call me. IMO dysfunctional families werent good for growing up in how the hell can they be anygood when you're an adult? Run Forest run.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you're worried about blocking someone on social media.

for the love of god, is that how we relate to others now? you think blocking her will CHANGE her? change the problem?

you have other choices.
you could directly talk to this person.
you could quit letting her rent space in your head.
you could not give a rip what she says or does - those that know you, will not be swayed by what someone else says about you.
you could quit trying to the be the peacemaker and let others think what they think and feel what they feel.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newlife17 View Post
Would I be out of line by blocking her?
Nope, block and move on. Easy Peasy. Ignore and decline further discussion from her or about her with anyone else.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I should just focus on myself and ignore the negativity. But it's very frustrating. She has in the past just taken what he says to her about me at face value and actually eggs him on saying I'm acting like a b and that I'm a bully. That's how she thinks she's being supportive of him. This is after she's found out he's lied to me about drinking and other things. I just don't feel like I owe her anything including access to my life and my child. He's trying to get sympathy from the two people who he's told me have hurt him the most: his mom
And his sister. Ugh. I need to get away from this toxicity.
Signing the retainer and sending the check is step 1.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just block her and don't think twice. It's only Facebook or Instagram - it's not like you're cutting off her oxygen supply. If she gets upset about it, that's profoundly not your problem.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Heck I blocked my actual sister 2-3 (maybe 4) years ago and have never looked back. She's a very manipulative, toxic, narcissistic person and I couldn't be happier now.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not at all! I just recently blocked my X Sis in Law from seeing something on my social media just b/c I knew she would run and tell my X I was at a certain event, and it was none of his business.

Social media is YOURS. Block anyone you wish!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, do it - it's your life and you get to choose who is a part of it
I blocked my AHs sister in Feb of this year as I could feel hostility from her towards me while AH was in coma.
Your completely justified in this.