Notices

Help! I've got a tenner!!!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Help! I've got a tenner!!!

Hello everyone, as the title says! I'm 7 days sober today but got 10 pounds cash for Easter. Can hear the frosty jack cider calling. Help. I'm sick of this repetitive cycle of killing myself softly. Any advise is welcome please kind regards
Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugghhhh! I know you can do this. Can you maybe just stick around here and post until the stores close? (BTW, congrats on 7 days; I have 7 days, too!)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't blow it now with 7 days under your belt. It will get easier soon. After two months, I am just starting to realize what is meant by "giving yourself the gift of sobriety"
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Buy something else, or give it to someone who needs something more than you need to drink.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah. I am sat in my PJ's to stop me going out. I could quite happily rip the dam thing up seriously. What a weird feeling. I will stay on line here and learn about the site as new to this. Hey congratulations on your fight for normality and many thanks for your words. Lifeline for me. Thank you again.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Frostyjack2017 View Post
I will stay on line here and learn about the site as new to this.
Didn't realize it was your first post. Welcome. Yes, read around the site. Lot's of stories, I'm sure, just like yours, from people who managed to get and stay sober.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Use the money to buy good food. Save the money. Give it to someone who could really use it. There are so many other options.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Put it on your electric key or gas card (if applicable) Buy ice cream (Ben n Jerry's)

Buy Chocolate (So hard for me to say that I'm on a Ketogenic diet)

Try this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

And don't forget to play the tape
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Don't blow it now with 7 days under your belt. It will get easier soon. After two months, I am just starting to realize what is meant by "giving yourself the gift of sobriety"
hi, i am amazed at your success and you give me hope.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 7days sober,good news.

Don't get booze with your tenner, plenty of other things to buy with it.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Buy something else, or give it to someone who needs something more than you need to drink.
decided to play it safe and stayed in PJ's put all clothes on a long wash.Phiew! Kind and thoughtful words though that I will remember for another day
Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days of sobriety and welcome to SR.

Think about how you will feel tomorrow morning if you cave!

Eat, stay hydrated, read here, take a walk...do anything but drink...you will thank yourself in the morning.

Every time I resist the urge to drink, I feel stronger and more committed to my sobriety. The next time I feel myself begin to weaken, I think of how I moved through it the last time...and so on and so on...

Trust me...the urge will pass! It's just one day... You can do this!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm 7 days sober today...
I'm sick of this repetitive cycle of killing myself softly.
Read back your own words, Frostyjack.

If it's that much of a problem for you to have free cash, find something else to do with it. Use the money for something you need, or turn the money into say, a gift card for a store that doesn't sell alcohol? Give it to someone to hold for you?
Just don't throw away 7 days of sobriety for a lousy 10 quid, buddy.
You can do it!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Excellent FrostyJack,we have to go to any lengths to stay sober.

The good news is, it gets easier.

Wishing you well.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Put it on your electric key or gas card (if applicable) Buy ice cream (Ben n Jerry's)

Buy Chocolate (So hard for me to say that I'm on a Ketogenic diet)

Try this

And don't forget to play the tape
hi there I'm not confidant to go NEAR ANY SHOP at moment. But good shout and hope to be able to make these positive choices soon. What are these links? From this site? Many many thanks to you!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Congrats on 7 days of sobriety and welcome to SR.

Think about how you will feel tomorrow morning if you cave!

Eat, stay hydrated, read here, take a walk...do anything but drink...you will thank yourself in the morning.

Every time I resist the urge to drink, I feel stronger and more committed to my sobriety. The next time I feel myself begin to weaken, I think of how I moved through it the last time...and so on and so on...

Trust me...the urge will pass! It's just one day... You can do this!!!
Hi and thanks for your heart felt advice. I hear what you are saying. I will set myself back 7 days probable plus more. The drink keeps chipping away after you lift the stuff more and more and more. So yes. If yous can all do it it I will try to. Thank you so much people
Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for your heart felt advice. I hear what you are saying. I will set myself back 7 days probable plus more. The drink keeps chipping away after you lift the stuff more and more and more. So yes. If yous can all do it it I will try to. Thank you so much people
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang on to those days, you are doing so well. In my opinion (and I'm only on day 1 but for what it's worth) it's not really about the tenner. If you wanted to drink you would find a way, tenner or no tenner. You're gonna have to get use to having money around at some point. You could give it away or quickly spend it on something nice for yourself but ultimately you will have to get use to having cash. Triggers are everywhere in this game I find. Sometimes they are obvious like having spare cash, sometimes not so obvious like dealing with an emotion. I look forward to reading that you won the battle. Well done on 7 days, I hope to be there soon.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Read back your own words, Frostyjack.

If it's that much of a problem for you to have free cash, find something else to do with it. Use the money for something you need, or turn the money into say, a gift card for a store that doesn't sell alcohol? Give it to someone to hold for you?
Just don't throw away 7 days of sobriety for a lousy 10 quid, buddy.
You can do it!
Yeah brilliant ideas. Id rather be 7 days in than behind. Thank god for this site! I was going to AA meetings but have no transport at moment so this is a life line of sanity. 1 hour at a time. When my daughter comes home I will give her the tenner to keep for me. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Funtimefranky View Post
Hang on to those days, you are doing so well. In my opinion (and I'm only on day 1 but for what it's worth) it's not really about the tenner. If you wanted to drink you would find a way, tenner or no tenner. You're gonna have to get use to having money around at some point. You could give it away or quickly spend it on something nice for yourself but ultimately you will have to get use to having cash. Triggers are everywhere in this game I find. Sometimes they are obvious like having spare cash, sometimes not so obvious like dealing with an emotion. I look forward to reading that you won the battle. Well done on 7 days, I hope to be there soon.
Hello there, yeah you are so so right! I will have to get used to the filthy lucre again (money) and how to use it positively because at the moment every single note has frost jack stamped on it not the queens head. Jeez. You sound like you have battled this before and I cherish your wise words. We can do it together.