Notices

Recovery movies/documentaries/shows

Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery movies/documentaries/shows

I'm 21 days sober today. Looking for stuff to watch on Netflix or Amazon that's recovery related. I watched " clean and sober" and "28 days". Any others you can recommend?
Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smashed
Drugstore Cowboy
Tender Mercies
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

THere is a documentary called "Addicted" that is pretty powerful.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just watched Moonlight and it was amazing. I was mesmerized and riveted, it was really intense and tender and raw. It is about a boy being raised by a crack addicted mom. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I just watched Moonlight and it was amazing. I was mesmerized and riveted, it was really intense and tender and raw. It is about a boy being raised by a crack addicted mom. I highly recommend it.
Definitely. I saw it 3 times in the theater.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Watch Louis Theroux: Drinking to Oblivion

Last edited by Dee74; 03-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just titles please guys - links can often be illegal if copyright has not been sought.

here are some other threads Jasper

ohttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/recovery-addiction-alcoholism-news-movies-pop-culture/373880-movies-documentaries.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ry-movies.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ddictions.html

D
Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

On U-tube there are a lot of speed doco's (for dummies like me)...'TED talks..'.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The Lost Weekend with Ray Milland is an oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Richard Burton on Dick Cavett show. Great watch for me.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Richard Burton on Dick Cavett show. Great watch for me.
High five!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rain In My Heart - Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwv7Utcf-gM
Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

an old but good movie is " days of wine and roses."
drugstore cowboy
flight- imo, excellent movie showing the rationalization and denial and alcoholic/addict can have.

my name is Bill W.
Ray
when a man loves a woman.

p.s.

good on ya for 21 days!!!
ya never have to do them first 21 days again!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

While not totally about alcoholism per se, the Jeff Bridges character in Crazy Heart is very inspiring.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
While not totally about alcoholism per se, the Jeff Bridges character in Crazy Heart is very inspiring.
excellent movie!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Requiem For A Dream and Trainspotting are both amazing. But, be warned, they are both extreme and visceral. Very hard to watch because they are so honest. Especially Requiem. I have watched that movie at least a dozen times, and I cry buckets every time. Ellen Burstyn breaks my heart. I could so relate to her character. Anyways, awesome movies.
If you google 'best movies on addiction/alcoholism', you will find lots of choices. That's how I found these. They were ranked 1 and 2 on the top 10 list of best alcohol/addiction movies.
If you're looking for something fun, Role Models is awesome. It's not exactly about drugs or alcohol, but Jane Lynch plays a recovering alcoholic, addict, and she is hilarious. Wicked funny. And, the movie has a great message. And, if you like the band Kiss, you can't miss!!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Though not about the addict themselves "The inevitable defeat of Mr and Pete" is one of the best films I have ever seen. About 2 young boys (Mr and Pete) who have to fend for themselves, and evade CPS when Mr's mother is sent to rehab by the court, while she was also looking after Pete his friend whose mother can't look after him as she is working as a prostitute for her drug habit.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 12
Hello all! While doing some research on alcoholism, I came across this site. I’ve been reading through the messages over the weekend and finding the information and feedback encouraging. It’s great to find so many here from all over the world. My longest period of abstinence was 11 months, several years ago. I fell off my 11-month success after discovering that my husband was unfaithful, then my mother, father and my niece died. Since then, I’ve made several other attempts which only lasted 3 months or so. As always, life’s challenges swept me back into the fire. My husband (who also drinks) and I have a business together. Needless to say, the combination of our drinking, stress of the business day in and day out, combined with his continual lies about relationships outside of our marriage has added fuel to the fire.
As many have mentioned, waking up in the morning without a hangover, or not worrying about what was said or “texted” the night before feels wonderful. “Texting” late at night was one of my worst habits. OMG, I cringe when I think of waking up in the morning to find a litany of BS, sent to our operations manager, after too much wine the night before. Ugh…I was like Trump and his tweets on steroids! Luckily, I didn’t send out messages to the mass! Days leading up to my last drink were pretty scary. Emotionally, I was a wreck! The only way I can explain it is that I felt like I was losing my mind. My husband and I were fighting regularly, we’d drink every night to ease the stress and the every morning was hell. I’ve always been a stressful person, filled with a lot of anxiety, but what I was feeling was something else! Like something evil surrounding me. I’m still dealing with some challenges with sleeping, but I feel grateful that the night sweats and terrors have subsided.
It feels good to be sober again. The combination of working out regularly, eating healthy, staying hydrated and keeping myself busy helps to keep the demons away. Doing this with my husband hasn’t been easy, as he is going through the same. I try my best not to let his emotional outbreaks and mind games stress me out too much, but it’s not easy. We have an appointment scheduled with a Behavioral Therapist at the end of this month. By then, we will both be over 30 days clean and I’m sure we will be needing some professional guidance. My hope is that this time it will stick. One day at a time, step by step, I will cherish each day before me on this journey of rekindling my soul.
Sorry for the long spew…😊.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oh my goodness, Rain in my heart has me in tears everytime. Its utterly heartbreaking.

Other ones I watch:
Russell Brand - from addiction to recovery
Old before my time -alcohol
alcohol will kill you
risky drinking
Russell Brand- War on drugs
Any intervention show
Addicted

and many many more, all found on youtube.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would recommend Lipstick & Liquor. It's a documentary but has an element of suspense and is very well done in my opinion. It focuses on women but the theme of course is universal.