Notices

Feeling shocked and worried.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling shocked and worried.

addictioncampuses.com/resources/addiction-campuses-blog/the-4-stages-of-alcoholism-for-the-functioning-alcoholic/

I just read this blog that really worried me, has anyone read this before?

Im really new to all this, but I honestly feel like 'Stage 4' might have been specifically written about me. The line: 'Men especially hang their hat on the fact they still go to work everyday...', that's what I ALWAYS say to myself and others to excuse my drinking. The changing appearance, the liver enzymes, the gradual neglection of family members, all that is absolutely happening in my life over the last few years.

I really have to turn this around, I had no idea I was so far gone.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pete

I was an all day everyday drinker and had been for several years...I still managed to turn things around.

I don't believe it's ever too late and I don't believe that anyone who signs up here is beyond help....or hope

D
Old 02-07-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pete,

Education is an amazing thing. The internet and sr saved my life as i know it.

I was in a death spiral.

Definitely pulled out now.

Bye bye booze. I don't want it in my body ever again.

It is poison. My beat up old body has gotten a renovation. It is now my temple.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Used to say the same thing Pete. In reality, functional alcoholic is an oxymoron. There is nothing functional about it -- it destroys you: your job performance, relationships, your mental health, your body. So it is dysfunctional in a vocational sense, a social sense, and a physiological sense.

Dee is absolutely right though. It's never too late. Alcoholism will get progressively worse over time.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I certainly hope so.

It's only recently that I've started to take this stuff seriously (I think I've been avoiding the truth for years) that I realize just how bad things are getting. I mean, it's not normal to drink yourself into oblivion at home by yourself on a regular basis, lie to people constantly about how much you drink or ignore the clear physical warning signs from your doctor.

It's honestly not an exaggeration for me to say that I cannot remember when I last went a weekend without getting completely wasted. It must be literally years. But this week I am going to give it hell, and I'm going to try.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Di22y, hopefully I can visit Soberville on day soon!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No it's not normal, Pete. I used to drink close to 20 standard drinks a night (usually beer and bourbon). Alone. We are alcoholics. Just try to take it one day at a time. Just say NO to the alcohol and try to get through today. Then tomorrow. Then repeat.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Desert. I'm going to try that.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For many years I have been a so-called functioning alcoholic.

Its a very gradual process.....you incrementally remove everything that is an obstacle to your functioning as an alcoholic....
Old 02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My high functioning when I'm sober is completely different than my high functioning when drinking. The former has proven to be way more effective and positive for me.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
For many years I have been a so-called functioning alcoholic.

Its a very gradual process.....you incrementally remove everything that is an obstacle to your functioning as an alcoholic....
^^^^ this is so true
Old 02-07-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Canguy, I think you're right. I always prided myself on being able to get up and in the morning and do well at my job, but frankly even that is starting to look real shaky recently.

The drinking is starting to have a real corrosive affect on my health, my job performance, my family relationships. I don't really have many decent friendships anymore as I think most of my friends are starting to tire of me being drunk all the time.

But like you said, I think I am really starting to function AS an alcoholic.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is VERY scary. Blackouts started happening more often than not. Where was I ...what did I say. HOW DID I GET HOME? Then THANK GOD I AM HOME! Panic...Where did I leave my Jeep...What if something happened to the kids and I couldn't function to help them...The list just goes on and on. I still read a LOT on the subject. I am trying to keep moving forward. If I didn't...the guilt would kill me. It is just time to make things right again. We can do it Pete. So happy you are posting here.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Likewise MsCooter, great to hear from you.

For me the blackouts were always the worst part. Waking up with a horrific hangover, terribly dehydrated, having no idea how I got home, or when. Being shocked at the number of empty beers can that are lying around my apartment, trying figure out where random aches and bruises on my body might have come from. Then comes the dreaded fear of having to check my phone to see who I messaged or called and what i said.

Then, after a few days of self loathing, it starts all over again,
Old 02-07-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pete,

Functioning successful male in early 30's also here.

I was in the SAME boat. Please read my post from the first to the last. See where I failed over and over and see where I started to find success. You dont have to suffer as long as I did.

You will withdraw and it will be bad. Fight through it. Its so great to be in control. Take control back from alcohol.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks BD84, I will.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
Thanks BD84, I will.
Any questions about what I went through just message me. Treat your body well man. It will suck at first then be oh so good.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to read about your recent tragedies in your life, losing your home.

It's amazing you managed to stay sober through all that, I think I would have fallen apart in about 2 minutes. You've got real guts BD I'll give you that.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

that functional alcoholic is just a stage of alcoholism.
and denial kept me thinkin there was nothing wrong with daily drunkenness/blackouts.

i still get amazed when i remove the liquor and look at the thinkin, there was absolutely nothing unique to my drinkin thinkin. alcohol really was just a symptom of deeper problems- problems in my melon that had been building up for years and years.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
Thanks Dee. I certainly hope so.

It's only recently that I've started to take this stuff seriously (I think I've been avoiding the truth for years) that I realize just how bad things are getting. I mean, it's not normal to drink yourself into oblivion at home by yourself on a regular basis, lie to people constantly about how much you drink or ignore the clear physical warning signs from your doctor.

It's honestly not an exaggeration for me to say that I cannot remember when I last went a weekend without getting completely wasted. It must be literally years. But this week I am going to give it hell, and I'm going to try.
I would doubt many here now or ever have much of a different story. Different continents, different beverage, same body damage and traumas. Different and POWERFUL stories of recovery, so helpful to know it is so possible. Glad you are here!