Notices

All People see in me is alcohol

Old 12-30-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All People see in me is alcohol

I'm in process of quitting--every other day--which are usually my hungover days. Sick vicious cycle, but I MUST keep trying.

Couldn't escape the booze this holiday season:

Best friend gave me wine

Mom gave me wine

Got a gag gift wine glass from hubby

Brother brought beer

Dad brought beer

And lastly, my small child got a set of kitchen items for Christmas and play doh to play with. While laying on the couch, he brings me a cup with red play doh in it and says, "Mom, here is your wine".......extremely low point to my week.

When did who I am completely and entirely encompass 1 thing? This must be the only thing people see about me. So very eye opening and deeply upsetting to me.

Day 2 sober today. It was hard not to drink, but I had water instead. I'm going to bed. Here's to tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Two days is awesome, Suzie! It just keeps getting better--I hope you sleep well!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hang in there Suzie. It looks like you've been trying for awhile. What can you do differently?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can DO this!!! You CAN!! Tomorrow when you wake up, tell yourself "today, no matter what happens, I will not drink." Then fight like hell to stick to that commitment.

Over time it gets easier and better! The longer you stay away, the quieter that voice compelling you to open that bottle gets.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My kids were teens when I was drinking and I embarrassed them when they had friends over.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was the neighbourhood drunk - mums shooing their kids away from me kinda deal.

I rehabilitated myself and my reputation...it takes a little time...but people forget.

I know you can do it too Suzie

D
Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

2017 is the year you redefine yourself, Suzieq.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 2
Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There will come a day when this is all behind you and you can laugh at those gifts. My last drinking Christmas I got 3 different hip flasks. And used all of them. 2 would have whisky and the other one Frangelico. I used to but them in socks so they didn't rattle in my pretty handbag when I went out.

What became more apparent to me, is how much of my own self-image was built around alcohol. I felt like, once alcohol was removed, what would be left? I was scared witless I'd be like the hole in a donut and dissappear completely when alcohol was removed. Of course, now, 2.5 years in, I know that drinking was what I did, and not who I was. This has been my 3rd sober Christmas, but its been the very first one where I didn't recieve any alcohol related gifts. It takes time for people to get their head round the change.

Pass on the bottles to somewhere that is likely to hold charity events, or a charity raffle. You don't need to keep them.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 12-31-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are with us- you can change everything in your life by getting sober. Promise. It takes time on all fronts, but you (as BB said) can see yourself differently, and so can others.

Happy New Year- stay sober, today.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get it. I also received wine from my son for Christmas. I told him Im not drinking on like 3 different occasions over these past few months but obviously he either didnt hear or didnt listen. To give him credit though he did also get me some yummy exotic coffee and home made pasta, now those are keepers for me! haha! The wine has already been regifted!

No worries, people arent going to automatically make the connection that we have stopped, that will come in time I suppose. Most importantly is that we can get through ANYTHING sober! We dont have to drink regardless of any one elses actions, reactions !

Happy New Year Suzie!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep trying, I had the same as you, booze for at least 2 Christmas presents, people pushing me to have "Just One" glass of champagne. Last night a friend cam over and I had to make him a drink and I was looking at it on the counter and it was second nature to just pick it up and pour him another. It's worth it though and besides what am I really missing by not drinking that wine or spirits ? A bad hangover and an morning evening/morning feeling like I want to die? I'll stick with sobriety as long as I can, hope you can too.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

My relatives at first were same as yours.... But after a few times seeing me sober they have changed their view of me...

Congrats on day 2.. Make it 3!
Please continue to stay sober!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone.

Bought a nice meal for the family for dinner tonight. And a coconut cake to sit and eat with a fork for dessert--just for me and my daughter.

Plan on staying sober and enjoying ringing in the new year with the family or asleep with a belly full of good food--no alcohol.

Here's to day 3 sober and a new start in the new year!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Suzie,

First, great job on day 2 and kicking off the new year on a positive note. I have had my kids draw wine bottles onto birthday cards for me in the past, and have received many gifts of wine, and wine glasses, pictures... I have also been in the grocery store and while walking past the wine aisle had one of my kids say "Mom, don't you need wine." Thankfully, these events are in the past!

I will have one year sober tomorrow, and though those that are close to me know I am no longer drinking I still received several bottles of wine for gifts at work. Some I re gifted, and one I am bringing to a NYE party tonight, it has been sitting in my fridge for two weeks waiting to go.

It really does get easier with each passing day. Know that you are doing something wonderful for you and your family.

❤️Delilah
Old 12-31-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My mother inlaw offered to go to an AA meeting with me. NOOO!
My autistic daughter wrote me a letter once when she was 12, even with her bad hand writing. I kept it and read it sometimes because it made me realize how it does affect her. It helps me to get motivated, even though I keep slipping up.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep trying, don't give up.
Everytime you think of having a drink, think of your son handing you a playdough wine glass. Don't let this be the norm for him.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me the more I put some distance between my old way of life and my new Sober life many things changed and went by the wayside.

People now don't give me presents of alcohol, people don't invite me for a drink, when I decline to attend certain events people don't push it, it's as if people through habit now don't associate alcohol with me anymore.

It'll take time, but eventually it can happen.

Hang in there Suzie!!
Old 01-01-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know this feeling, its horrible.. When my partners son was 11 he gave his nana his hard saved money to buy me a bottle of wine for xmas, I felt so sick to my stomach.. I seemed to be the only one that thought it was an issue, very sad..
Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your friends and family are not supporting your sobriety.

Do they even know you are trying to quit?

Telling everyone that your New Year's resolution is to not drink anymore would be a good step.