Notices

In the hospital, fed up with the system.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In the hospital, fed up with the system.

3 weeks ago I sprained my ankle. I was jogging on a nice summer morning (sober) and rolled it. I have sprained it over 3 times so I know the drill. Wrap it, stay off it, and don't waste the hospitals time with xrays.

2 nights ago, I rolled the same ankle and I mean bad. I was walking down steps and rolled it, then my leg took the impact of my now-broken ankle and snapped in half. I was outside a bar/restaurant with friends and on the ground screaming so bad people were pulling over in their cars.

I had been drinking water. However, I knew I had no time to mess around before pain set in. My one "friend" was drinking and wouldn't call 911 since her car was close and she drove. Another saw my foot hanging off my leg and called.

The medics gave me morphine but as soon as I got to the hospital, this ahole doctor recognised me. I have been in here for detox and he used to rip me apart. He told me I was getting the bare minimum in meds and treated me like crap. I told him I'm in outpatient rehab and he laughed.

I have been in here 2 days and it's been the same. I had a huge metal rod and pins placed yesterday but if I ask for pain meds I get barely any. I have never been a narcotics seeker nor have I come in high. Last time I was here was 4 years ago.

They want to send me home today with no meds. Just a reminder, this is how the system treats people like us. The pain is unbearable and I get a percoet every 7 hours. The smallest dose.

I don't know how I am going to do this at home alone. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wonder is this ahole Doctor, has his own addiction problems. This is disgraceful treatment. I would be complaining to his superiors and threatening news coverage. It's a total violation of your human rights.
I really hope that you get some proper pain relief soon. Hugs to you.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Doctors are so used to seeing the effects of narcotics abuse. Same people over and over lying to their face or hurting themselves on purpose for the meds. I bet it can turn a compassionate doctor into a weary one who is reluctant to believe anyone. That just hurts people like you. You need pain relief. You did not put pins in your ankle to get high off morphine. But doctors have become hardened. It is sad. Feel better soon!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm going to guess that you live in an area that does not have easy access to more than a few doctors??

I'd be going to a different doctor/facility. No need to put up with stuff like that.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to type fast because they are kicking me out soon.

Very small town.

No real ability to transfer hospitals but all the nurses seem to be acting the same here. I have never ever even been on percocet but whatever MG they are giving me isn't working at all. The pain is unreal.
Thanks to my chart bring flagged, I will forever live with this. The fracture I have is the worst you can do to your leg.

No one seems to want to explain to me what is going on either.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Oh man a flagged chart. I'm sorry.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im sorry to hear of the misgivings of your medical care and the prejudice they hold.
You can get through this and will. Have a plan in place for how to deal with your pain and a plan to prevent future accidents.
I have very weak ankles through years of sports injuries and know the pain of severely spraining them (never broken).
My plan is that if i go for a run or play any sport i wear ankle braces. The technology today allows me to be very comfortable in non splint braces. Sort of like a slip on bandage.
I always wear the correct footwear. If you are female, please consider not wearing heels.
As for the pain, i sadly agree with the doctors. You must accept it and allow your body to combat the pain naturally, this is how your body is given the opportunity to self diagnose and administer the proper natural remedies.
I went through a grade 3 complete hamstring tear playing soccer 1.5 years ago, the only meds i took was tylenol for fever. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. This is what will cure you. Meds hinder your bodys natural healing path.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lightning Bug View Post
Doctors are so used to seeing the effects of narcotics abuse. Same people over and over lying to their face or hurting themselves on purpose for the meds. I bet it can turn a compassionate doctor into a weary one who is reluctant to believe anyone. That just hurts people like you. You need pain relief. You did not put pins in your ankle to get high off morphine. But doctors have become hardened. It is sad. Feel better soon!
Yes, after a while doctors get numb towards the drunk and addict.

I understand that you are badly hurt and need some relief. Due to my documented past I would probably also be denied what I needed in the way of pain meds. I look at this as the wreckage of my past still haunting me at times. I know this not to be fair but, I do feel that I played a part in this.

Get well soon,
M-Bob
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

A flagged chart is seriously annoying. Mine is flagged after I was honest with my Dr about my drinking problem a few years ago. At that point I was already in recovery but I felt being honest was the best way forward. Flash forward to now, I am trying to apply for disability insurance and I keep getting turned down due to the fact I admitted I was an alcoholic to my Dr.

I have no DUI's or arrests or anything. I still feel it was best for me to be honest with the Dr but it is annoying how now that is being held against me.

Stay strong you will heal and move past this.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that is the exact reason I put myself thru hell recently trying to beat a opiate and alcoholism addictions on my own. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet due to long term alcoholism. I am prescribed gabapentin for that. it helps somewhat. someday I may need painkillers for that or even something else. I abused painkillers daily on top of the drinking for about three yrs. I was not prescribed them. I have never been honest with the drs. about my drinking or drug use. there was no way I was going to be labeled an alcoholic, addict, and liar. I did pay a price for it tho. glad it is behind me now.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that you are suffering and having such a difficult time. I hope that your leg heals quickly.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you managed to get home ok and are resting up and managing with the pain the best you can
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have little experience with this, but you have to understand doctors have probably seen years of lies from people like us and don't have the time or interest to hear how unique your situation is. It sucks, but it was a reality. I went to the ER once from a bad cut on my arm when I was wasted and everyone from the paramedics to the doctors treated me like crap. It sucks. Only we know our journeys and struggles. Forget about them and do what you need to for yourself.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would start insisting about pain relief especially if my leg was snapped in half

I received similar treatment in a hospital once & it was awful I had 24h of extreme pain before another dr said it's close to neglect with what happened to me

Ask for help if you have a broken leg it's going to need painkillers trust me I've had a broken leg

Thinking of you
Old 09-03-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awe I'm so sorry to hear about you leg
That sounds so very painful! I hope the pain is less than you expect and truly hope it heals quickly for you.
I'd be complaining up a storm if was in excruciating pain like that and they didn't give me anything sufficient for it.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope you get better quickly! That just makes me cringe. I can't believe the doctor treated you that badly. I get awful migraines, and I understand when the doctors are skeptical about pain meds; they can't SEE the problem. But with a broken leg, you'd think they would know that you need pain meds. I sure hope your leg feels better soon!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh no, this can happen and it is awful.

What a jerk of a doctor.

Can you shop around for a new one?

Addiction does not discriminate btw, there are rehab facilities for professionals and many are in the medical field so he can take his judgement and stuff it.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Call a lawyer. One of those TV lawyers.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The way you were and are being treated is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE in my opinion! I am sorry you are suffering. I would think in this day and age, there would be more knowledge out there about addiction and recovery from addiction and how to approach caring for those with addiction issues. If someone in the medical field FAILS to care for someone's suffering, I wonder if they need to change professions, but that's not my call to make either....okay, I'll step off my short little soapbox rant now....What you need is someone who will be your advocate as you are in no condition, really, to advocate for yourself as you are trying to deal with the pain and the fact you cannot even walk around like normal. A good advocate would be raising a holy ruckus over how you are being treated/ lack thereof.

Pain is pain, period. Addiction is a separate issue. Good doctors and nurses are patient advocates!