Notices

Feeling healthier, slowly getting out there

Old 08-26-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling healthier, slowly getting out there

34 days sober and have not been with friends yet as we've all been apart on holiday. Next week brings all of us together, the rest have spent time on voyages afar, had weddings for their kids, otherwise not available.

Last month during vacation I lost my best friend from hepatic cirrhosis and stopped drinking after a Dr. Told me I better. It will be interesting fitting back in with everyone, they understand and are great smart people, it's just that we all drank together, for years and years. We planned and are traveling with another couple on a trip to New Orleans next month......my husband still drinks, oh everything is just new with this! Congratulations to everybody trying.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mklove

I dunno - I had to change my life a little...even when being around other drinkers didn't make me want to drink, I still felt miserable.

If you cant get out of the trip I'd start thinking about things to do that won't involve alcohol...maybe even a recovery plan for if when temptation strikes?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 08-26-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here & posting Mk....you will find much support & encouragement here in making your way without the drink. Congratulations on 36 days!!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mklove
Old 08-27-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grief and sobriety

Thanks all for encouragement, I'm glad I found this place of support, day 37. So much of my life was spent these past 12 years with my next door neighbor/best friend who passed last month from liver disease. I was fortunate to have been able to say goodbye to her in hospice but she was sedated and unresponsive. Perhaps it is knowing I was headed right down that road, what an awful way to go, she being only 36 and lovely, so much fun to be with. I realize we were like children in some ways, ignoring the harsher realities of life as we played cards and drank, walked our dogs and headed back to drink, cooked meals while sipping, eventually passing out. I have worked hard at my career and am proud of my accomplishments there, my work is not easy as I am tasked with improving the lives of severely disabled adults, setting up their futures. I came home to FUN! We laughed, danced, swam, floated, danced, laughed........every day! Filling in the time has been really difficult.
So now I am appealing to my more grown up self to make healthier choices and, so far, I've been successful. I miss my friend so much, the belly laughs, the free form days of play and am lonely but so far not for the booze. I have ready access to wine, but no desire to imbibe. As for my upcoming trip to New Orleans, no way I want to get out of it, it will be fun to explore the city with my friends, one is sober, the other two include my husband will drink. Thanks all for being here, it's hard work......
Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

37 days is a good long time. Nice job.

Getting used to the world sober takes a long time. I am not out of the woods at 16 months. It has been hell on earth. Never going back there. God help me.

Seeing drunks go from a craving state into a euphoric sedation is strengthening for some.

Considering all we gain from drinking is a short euphoria, booze addiction has to be respected. The mental addiction never goes away.

My wife asked me to open her a bottle of wine last night. She almost never drinks. Maybe 1 time a month.

I poured her about 6 oz. I left her w it and went to bed. This morning, half the glass was still full.

I wave of insanity shot through me....pound it....drink the whole bottle. It was scary to think that is how the mental addiction works on me.

Very scary.

Finishing my coffee now. Still clean and proud.

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Took our Kayaks out today. Significant for me because the last activity my friend and I did before she went to the ICU and never came out was to buy a new kayak because she got one for Christmas. We had plans for this summer and they didn't include her dying of liver disease. This sucks, I miss her. I reached out to her mother today, maybe she wants to go for tea I asked, before it would have been wine. I'm a little afraid maybe I won't be well received but that's my being anxious, uneasy because her daughter lived In the adjoining apartment as a tenant and did a lot of her drinking at home, with me. But I have learned I couldn't make her choices for her and her family knows it was safer for her to do a lot of drinking here and not out on the road. She was good at hiding it until the liver gave out. Hard to watch, harder to live. So far temptation to drink wine is squelched by memories of her end story but there is so much time to fill. So kayaking was a great time and filled morning time at farmers market and the afternoon out on the pond. It's not easy, this being a person thing, thanks everybody for being here, it helps.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for telling your story. Its really helped me not pick up myself
Old 08-28-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kayaking sounds fun
Old 08-28-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend. That is such a devastating blow. Good for you for getting to 34 days and taking your recovery slowly.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry about your friend. It's awful, but sometimes it's those kinds of horrible tragedies that make us reassess our own lives. Gain back control over health and happiness.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
Took our Kayaks out today. Significant for me because the last activity my friend and I did before she went to the ICU and never came out was to buy a new kayak because she got one for Christmas. We had plans for this summer and they didn't include her dying of liver disease. This sucks, I miss her. I reached out to her mother today, maybe she wants to go for tea I asked, before it would have been wine. I'm a little afraid maybe I won't be well received but that's my being anxious, uneasy because her daughter lived In the adjoining apartment as a tenant and did a lot of her drinking at home, with me. But I have learned I couldn't make her choices for her and her family knows it was safer for her to do a lot of drinking here and not out on the road. She was good at hiding it until the liver gave out. Hard to watch, harder to live. So far temptation to drink wine is squelched by memories of her end story but there is so much time to fill. So kayaking was a great time and filled morning time at farmers market and the afternoon out on the pond. It's not easy, this being a person thing, thanks everybody for being here, it helps.
Sorry for your loss, how old was your friend?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, in person it was hard to tell people why sobriety is necessary, I don't want to trivialize my friends passing with my issues, she was 36 and lovely.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just re read this post from August. It's December now, over130 days free of alcohol. I'm sober, is miss her but am living my happy life, well trying so hard to .
Old 12-11-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Old 12-11-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress mklove

D
Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your accumulating sober time! Keep going, it does get better.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats mklove - that is fantastic progress. Keep it going!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

130 days - we're so proud of you, mklove. We know how hard you worked to get there.