Notices

How hard should you push yourself

Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How hard should you push yourself

Phase two of my plan was to start some kind of periodic exercise regime after three weeks of not drinking. I'm beyond that now by a few days but I just can't get motivated. I'm getting good rest which has been awesome the past week . I'm real comfortable and feel safe coming home and drinking tea in the evenings while watching tv. Do you think it's important to keep making positive changes as fast as you can or early on should you do what feels comfortable? I really need some advice. In it forever this time.thanks to you all
Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only at 57 days, so take this with a grain of salt, but my original plan was to eat whatever I wanted for the first month and get serious about diet and exercise after the 30 day mark. That day came and went, and I decided that if I really wanted sobriety more than anything, I would have to postpone my timeline. Now, as I approach 60 days, I'm feeling MUCH more ready than I was a month ago.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Ten and a half months ago I stopped drinking and started exercising. I started by walking 15 minutes. I built upon that and in May I completed a trek to mt.Everest base camp. Just start and you'll be amazed where it can lead.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't push myself too hard in the beginning. Take is easy and be good to yourself. If you want to exercise, start with walking. It's easy and free and does a world of good. Walking my dogs is the high point of my days.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mount Everest???? Well then I guess I can get my fat backside on a treadmill for a few minutes tomorrow!
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

If you haven't had a full checkup recently I would recommend that first. After you get a clean bill of health start slow and keep building up.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks JD and least. Nice accomplishment JD.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doc says I'm good but stated loosing twenty pounds would be a good thing. Always been active even when I drank so this sitting around in the evenings is new.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it really important to start listening to my body. During my drinking years, I stopped listening to my body for the most part. It took awhile for me to learn to turn in to simple things my body was telling me. I do think you should relax and do what feels right, and within reason, don't push yourself.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

All you need is to start. And that start doesn't have to be much. I also found that walking greatly reduced cravings when I got them.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok. Get up a bit early and take a walk around the neighborhood. Just want everything to move in a positive direction. I never want another day one
Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Mount Everest???? Well then I guess I can get my fat backside on a treadmill for a few minutes tomorrow!
I pretty much live at the guy now, but if I was just beginning, I'd start off slow and build up from there. There's nothing worse than finally make it to the gym, then end up pulling a muscle and having to take a week off. I'm speaking from experience. The important thing is that you show up. What you do once there is really not a big deal. John
Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Think of something that has always interested you,like a hobby.
Do some research on the internet. Like a garden,maybe refinishing some furniture, or doing some kind of craft or painting.
It will keep your mind occupied. You'll have something to look forward to.
Might find something that you love doing.

I tried salt water fish tanks, gardens, remodeling a bath room.
Just kept busy and ...well......got a lot of things done in the process.
Today will be 3 years since I started my journey of sobriety.
I kept busy most of the time.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention. Make sure you drink plenty of water when you exercise. Helps to avoid those pulled muscles. John
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll let you know how I do.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober style

I just walk a lot, it's easy to walk! I can walk forever. And when you walk, they throw the thinking in for free. Get some of my best thinking done that way. Helps my sobriety too, I think.

I've lost 14 pounds in the 48 days I've been sober just by walking and staying under a set number of calories a day. Not quite effortless but not that difficult either.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's great snazzy. 14 lbs would be great for me
Old 07-26-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Add things as you feel ready. I do a lot of walking and try to do yoga, though not as often as I would like. I am also trying to add weights back into my routine.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My favorite exercise is bicycle riding.
Did a 20 mile today at the beach.
Started off doing 4 or 5 miles.
Low impact on the body.
M-Bob
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I took my time to start exercise- definitely felt like I was "Supposed to" much sooner. I am just past five months and it was only in May that I started running. I decided to do a 1mi race series each of July/Aug/Sep - nothing at all compared to my days of serious running but from how sick I was in Feb when I stopped drinking, damn big. So now I've overlapped 3mi and 5K races for Aug/Sep/Oct and plan to keep going.

Don't stress out over the time frame. Eating and exercise as part of our self-care have to come as they can in some ways (ie, now I eat less ice cream and now I am running- cut myself slack for awhile!!). Being healthy and sober is the real deal - the rest is gravy!