Notices

Just thinking about the future..

Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just thinking about the future..

I'm only 4 days into my opiate detox and now that the brain fog is clearing I'm curious about a few things. I've gotten "clean" before but never with the attitude I have this time that this is make it work no other options. I'm rather unhealthy due to my overuse of rx pills I hear a lot of people say they gained weight from this, but for me I'm very underweight. I'm still a little meaty but most of my muscle mass is gone and I'm only in my early 30's I'd like to work on getting back in shape as I used to be very into clean eating and fitness. Funny lol used to eat organic and shop at whole food and ended up hooked on poison! Is it a good idea to start working out again? Running, lifting, yoga? I just don't want to do more damage to myself than I have the last few years not eating enough and binging on pills to get things done
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although my vice was booze and never drugs, I was in detox many times in the past, patients with drug or alcohol addictions had to attend Yoga every morning (they let you off the hook for 24 hours) plus we did a fresh air walk for about 30 to 45 min every day, just take it slow but I am a firm believer that exercise is part of our recovery and should be part of our life, I personally walk two hours a day with my dog, rain, sun or snow

Andrew
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was thinking about getting a dog.. Get me out of the house more. Would be good for me I think!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Regretoxygirl View Post
I was thinking about getting a dog.. Get me out of the house more. Would be good for me I think!
And for a pup too if I get a rescue
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Regretoxygirl View Post
And for a pup too if I get a rescue
My daughter is part of a rescue dog centre and finds it very rewarding, she lives and works a few hundred miles away from me and has a dog(s) with her at her house every night to keep her company. They are an excellent motivation to go walking and they are the definition of unconditional love. I have a Portuguese Water Dog (you can click on my profile to see her) and my better half has a golden doodle neither shed and OMG they are affectionate and get along very, very well with each other.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

We have a jack Russell and a rescue dog before him i have had loads of animals that became family

They look at us like family & treating them right creates such a bond I just can't describe but it's deep and you will have to be responsible but it is really worth it

best to think it over ie vet costs, medicine, food, shelter, walks & lots of attention

Well worth it though I also have birdfeeders on our tree that brings us sweet serenity
Old 04-26-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd be even more lost if not for my dogs, well done getting off them pills, aint quite made the jump yet myself.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWalkTheLine View Post
I'd be even more lost if not for my dogs, well done getting off them pills, aint quite made the jump yet myself.
I think I need the extra responsibility and company.. I split custody of my daughter 50/50 with her dad and even though I was greatful to get the worst of the detox done while she was gone being alone while my bf was working was really bad today. Came so very very close to a relapse about 2 hours ago... My inner voice (addict) was giving me all kinds of justification for just one more. Thankfully my daughter came home and reminded me why I'm doing this
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

She's only 6 but very intuative and knew I wasn't feeling good and have me lots of love
Old 04-26-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great ideas! But might I suggest....just taking it easy?

You are a mere 96 hours into a lifelong journey of sobriety. This is a condition you must learn to manage, and be mindful of for the rest of your life. Four days is great, but unless you remain focused on your own recovery and sobriety you may very well be back to square 1 in four more days. Working out, yoga, new diets, and puppy dog are fun to think about - especially for a brain that is "missing something" right now. And I agree they are great ideas for a person who is living a stable and sober life.

I also know that thinking about the next 24 hours can be super boring and it's fun to fantasize. But just remember that your only job today is to stay away from narcotics and alcohol. You are a winner if you make it to Day 5! Don't lose sight of the small, achievable goals that are right in front of you. Don't build expectations for yourself that cannot be met. Well done on Day 4 and here's hoping that your Day 5 trophy will be enough to get you through tomorrow!
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Great ideas! But might I suggest....just taking it easy?

You are a mere 96 hours into a lifelong journey of sobriety. This is a condition you must learn to manage, and be mindful of for the rest of your life. Four days is great, but unless you remain focused on your own recovery and sobriety you may very well be back to square 1 in four more days. Working out, yoga, new diets, and puppy dog are fun to think about - especially for a brain that is "missing something" right now. And I agree they are great ideas for a person who is living a stable and sober life.

I also know that thinking about the next 24 hours can be super boring and it's fun to fantasize. But just remember that your only job today is to stay away from narcotics and alcohol. You are a winner if you make it to Day 5! Don't lose sight of the small, achievable goals that are right in front of you. Don't build expectations for yourself that cannot be met. Well done on Day 4 and here's hoping that your Day 5 trophy will be enough to get you through tomorrow!

Honestly you're absolutely right! I think I'm just trying to figure out as many ways as possible to keep busy... Idol hands and all that! Back to work tomorrow so that will be interesting there are bunch new trainees I have to manage yayyy not looking forward to that much interaction with people I don't know. I've always had horrible social anxiety. Probably onenif the reasons I liked the drugs so much.. Kept me all ice queen!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exercise in moderation is awesome. I took it slow until I had enough energy to do more.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another suggestion as I was thinking of this thread last night, volunteer at a rescue centre/SPCA, aside from something to do/very rewarding, they often need someone to take a pet home for the evening or for a few days, at least here they give you the food etc. and if you can't handle it at least you could give the pet back, kind of a trial run if you will.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That isn't a bad idea! It would help on my free days when I don't work or have my kid. Well it's day 5 now, back to work for me.. Scary but I don't feel so bad this morning. Just anxious.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

congratulations on day 5 Regret