Notices

I need answers please.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need answers please.

Hi everyone this is my first time posting anywhere for anything like this. I am 4 and a half months sober from alcohol drank to a black out most nights of the week for a long time. Quit a bunch of times but never really thought of myself as an alcoholic until after I quit this time just always thought I was a young guy who drank too much. Anyways I am dealing with pretty severe post acute withdrawal syndrome involving heavy anxiety serious memory problems and all the other stuff everyone here must know about. But on top of that the for the last few weeks I've been getting headaches sometimes all day sometimes and almost nothing for a whole day. It's like sharp pains in my head that come and go I rarely have to take anything for it but it's worrying me a great deal obviously. I've had my sinuses x-rayed and nothing plus I have been dealing with fairly severe hypochondria and health anxiety since I quit as well so I'm a little tired of calling my doctor can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same as a symptom of PAWS?? If anyone out there could help me it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It will take time for your body to adjust. Don't panic.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
It will take time for your body to adjust. Don't panic.
So this kind of head pain is common?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

All kinds of pain are common. Have patience, don't panic.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't recall headaches during paws. Are u cutting back on coffee? Dehydrated? Watching politicians on the news? Kidding on the last one. Doesn't hurt to talk to the doc, if they think you're good, then most likely you are.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work out/run every day my diet is 90% fruits and vegetables and I drink tons of water I shouldn't be getting headaches like this the only reason that makes sense is paws
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Headaches can have a lot of different causes, both physical and mental. Anxiety can even cause physical symptoms. We cannot diagnose you via the Internet though. Many people deal with anxiety in recovery, have you ever explored therapy or other treatment for your health anxiety? One thing I'd highly recommend is to stay away from Dr. Google. You can diagnose yourself with just about anything and the process itself can cause even more anxiety.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was having terrible PAWS symptoms which are getting better by the day! I am at 100 days now and one of the best things I did was get with an addictions psychiatrist. He gave me one prescription (for anxiety), but the other two meds are amino acids which all seem to be helping as well, one for depression and one for anxiety.

Every body I have talked to say the same thing...it takes a while for the brain to get right after substance use. Some people say up to two years. My addictions therapist says AA modeled their chip system based on the different phases of PAWS, 30, 60, 90days 6, 9, 12 months.

I haven't had the headaches, but I think I have experienced every other symptom of PAWS. Hopefully, you have insurance and a doctor. If so, use it. Find a doctor who specializes in addictions medicine and see how they can help you through this. I was VERY hesitant about the prescription med, but the anxiety was just too bad for me.

Also, check out the blog that Dee74 recommends, the guy who maintains the blog seems to be really good about answering questions and many people have asked questions similar to yours, you may be able to learn some things from there...
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...comment-122384

One of the best things I have found is sober recovery, it really has good info and gives me hope that things do get better.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott, that headaches (and other symptoms) can be caused by stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety can affect your whole body. It's probably a good idea to talk to your dr if the headaches persist.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 4.5 months sober bud
Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes doctor Google gets me all the time makes me think I'm dying but I'm still here lol I checked out that article you sent me very informative thank you!! I'm still pretty sure the headaches mean I'm dying but I definitely feel a little bit better thanks everyone for support!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by stillpooh19 View Post
...My addictions therapist says AA modeled their chip system based on the different phases of PAWS, 30, 60, 90days 6, 9, 12 months...
You might want to point your therapist in the direction of AA history..........:
The chip system is thought to have begun in Indianapolis in 1942. The tradition is believed to have started with Doherty S., who originally brought A.A. to Indianapolis. Doherty himself, in a letter to Bill, seems to indicate the practice originated in Indianapolis in 1942.

Nell Wing wrote in 1962 about the history of the chip system: "…The chip system might have begun in Indianapolis….reference was made in a letter from Doherty to the start of giving out ‘chips’ and ‘tokens.’ This was in 1942. I imagine this would be about right, because most of the early groups started in 1940 and it would take about a couple of years to think of anniversaries and marking any time of sobriety..."

PAWS was brought out in the recovery/rehab/treatment/etc. communities in 1986 byTerence T. Gorski in his book, Staying Sober. Therefore, there is no correlation between AA recovery chips and PAWS (phases or no phases......some groups don't give out chips at all, and some give out chips for each and every month for the first year, the 18 month chip (or as my friends call it: the resentment chip---as when it came into use, they had already passes 18 months, and then some.

Therefore, the chips predated PAWS by about 40-46 years; they definitely were not modeled after any 'phases of PAWS,' or anything to do with PAWS at all.

Well, there's your brief history regarding AA chips............have fun......

(o:
Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today is day 45 days for me and, though I have allergies, I have had more than usual headaches and they are boomers and I have been drinking lots of water too. Good thing you went to the doctor, but mine seem to disappear as quickly as the onset. I echo what others have said: probably stress-induced, but if it persists, get it checked out. I am.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
Here's some information about PAWS in general.

What helped me eliminate paws symptoms was when I stopped smoking and was off cigs for maybe 6 months, while still using the e-cigarette my paws symptoms decreased greatly or vanished completely.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Noelle - I dont think she meant it in historical fashion, only as these were milestones that early AA members recognized because of changes they witnessed (and symptoms) at different points in recovery which have now been categorized as PAWS. I think the important thing is to recognize the waves of change.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am of the opinion that persistent headaches need a full evaluation by a Dr. It could just be stress/tension/anxiety/PAWS or it could be something more serious.

I tend to get tension headaches once in a while and give myself a good scalp massage, which really helps, but I stick to Tylenol and/or Advil as far as medicating myself for it. You are definitely doing yourself a big favor by exercising. Are you getting enough protein in your diet?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am getting it checked out next week you're right it can't be ignored but it definitely helps a lot to know people have had daily headaches that didn't have cancer which is obviously my big concern. I don't get enough protein in my diet I am a student and just can't afford to buy protein or eat enough meat especially for how often I exercise.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Thisguyissober View Post
I am getting it checked out next week you're right it can't be ignored but it definitely helps a lot to know people have had daily headaches that didn't have cancer which is obviously my big concern. I don't get enough protein in my diet I am a student and just can't afford to buy protein or eat enough meat especially for how often I exercise.
You need to learn to enjoy beans, rice and cornbread. They combine to make an almost perfect protein for cheap.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

I'm about 3.5 months sober and I get terrible headaches. I mostly attribute them to stress/anxiety either directly or via tiredness, and then to an elevated sugar intake (replaced alc with choc!)
Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had headaches for maybe a month, but not for 4 and a half months.

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr to get them checked out

Keep us updated Thisguyissober

D