Notices

In need of some hope today

Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In need of some hope today

At nearly 90 days sober, I need to hear some tales of hope and encouragement. I happen to be one of those experiencing PAWS and the emotional roller coaster is getting to me. I have never been depressed before so this is all new and leaves with the feeling of "is this ever going to end." I try to distract by focusing on other things, but then I find myself fixated. I am taking SAM-e which seems to be helping some, just need someone who has been through this and come out on the other side to provide some inspiration. At least point me in the direction of inspiration. ugh! And no, I don't have a desire to drink!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you read this thread? And congratulations on 90 days!!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...one-thing.html
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best thing I did for myself and my recovery was practicing gratitude every day. Make a list every day of what you're grateful for. It will make you focus on the positive and can change your whole attitude.

It does get better.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there, congrats on 90 days. At around 90 days I wanted to give up. I really felt horrible. I could see no light at the end of the tunnel. On a whim I went to a big book step study meeting and met the woman who was to become my sponsor. Do you attend AA? Smart? Building a sober network has been huge for me. It does get so much better. I am 10 months in and I am so glad I hung onto my seat. Hang in there!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with least, gratitude lists can go a long ways to helping improve our outlook on life.
Do you have anyone to talk to face to face, like a counselor, sponsor, friend, family member?
Do you journal or read?
When I get sucked into the black hole of depression, listening to uplifting podcasts seem to really help get me out of my head.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great work on 90 days Stillpooh! Life itself always has ups and downs, sorry to hear you are on the down side of things. I don't know what SAM-e is, but i would ask if you follow any formal sobriety plan or program? And if not are you doing anything like therapy, meditation, minfulness, excercies, etc? Part of being sober is finding healthy ways to deal with these ups and downs, and there are lots of things you could do - but it would be helpful to also know what you are currently doing.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days! I understand how you feel, I experienced PAWS as well, generally around "milestones" 3, 6, 9 months, etc. At 18 months I think (hope) I am about over it. I finally realized with each episode that it would only last about 3 days. Knowing what to expect when it hit, and knowing that it would disappear as quickly as it came on helped, too. Episodes will become less intense and less frequent, so there IS light at the end of the tunnel ☺
Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I would ask what other changes you've made in your life to support your recovery. What do you do for fun? I really hope that your depression lifts soon, and there is always lots of inspiration here at SR.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am right there with you stillpooh19. I hope it gets better for both of us.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Remember you always have us 24-7
Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hi stillpooh (and Zoeloc).. with 90 days that would put you in our 'class' of Jan 2016. Lots of other people with a similar day count. Come say hi, if you like.

This was posted earlier - and has 90 reasons to be thankful! http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5877570
Old 03-30-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel this is PAWs Pooh, this is a good link - many tips in there about lessening PAW's effects

PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mav View Post
Hi stillpooh (and Zoeloc).. with 90 days that would put you in our 'class' of Jan 2016. Lots of other people with a similar day count. Come say hi, if you like.

This was posted earlier - and has 90 reasons to be thankful! http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5877570
It is a great class, come and join us!!!
Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody!
Ariesagain - Thanks for the link I liked that forum alot.

Least - working on gratitude! Here's one...I am grateful that I never had any accidents, tickets or life-changing events from drinking and driving. Thanks to my HP.

Bunny211 _ I am attending AA and I have a sponsor now. We had a great talk this evening. Looking forward to working the steps with her.

Delizadee - I am going to start journaling tomorrow am.

Zoeloc - Let's work this thing together! I think I am going to hop on over to the January class of 2016 forum for support too.

Soberwolf - Thanks! Where did you get the chart? I would like to get a better view.

Mav and Delilah - I am going to hop over to the January 2016 forum.

Dee- Thanks for the information!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi stillpooh and Congrats on your 90 days! That's an amazing achievement-

Glad you're popping into the Jan. class. Many of us are at the 90 day mark and since this period in our lives has many ups and downs, it's nice to talk it through with others.

I had several down days last week and now this week has been great. Very frustrating, isn't it?

There are many good suggestions on this thread and you've already made a great list of things to do^^^^^. Hang in there and take care!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I get depressed, I either lay in bed feeling sorry for myself (which makes me feel worse) or don't think about it and get up and go.

I run errands (the unfinished things that are stressing me out) or I work out or I go buy something.

It helps to keep busy