Notices

Depression

Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

How long does it last in sobriety? I've coming up on 40 days now and my mood is so low. It's becoming unbearable. Any thoughts or hopeful words would sure be helpful right now. Thank you
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience is that I needed specific medication for my depression. For some people, their drinking is the root cause of their depression and stopping drinking was all they needed to treat their depression. That was not true for me. Please see a medical doctor specializing in anxiety and depression for appropriate care. Depression is usually very treatable.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would also suggest seeing your doctor about your depression. It may have nothing to do with getting sober. Depression is treatable with meds and/or therapy. I found my antidepressants work as they should when I'm sober. It makes such a difference in my mood.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Speaking with a Dr is your best option I suffer with depression
Old 03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

For me, meds never worked. Tried 4 different kinds, each producing its own ghoulish side effect from deeper depression to hallucinations.

By far and away, my best results come from sobriety and regular exercise, particularly cycling and yoga.

Keep at it until you find something that works for you.

Peace.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have suffered from depression since childhood. It is treatable, and fortunately mine is currently managed. I agree with others who suggest seeing your doctor.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, me too. My depression was with me since my teenage years and it wasn't until decades later that I began to drink. And, I was unable to stop drinking until I got my depression treated properly with medication. I have been in recovery for years now, but still take the medication, which for me, levels the playing field.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Zoeloc,I think it would be a good idea to see a Doctor and explain how you feel.

Being sober does not always cure depression,though it does help.

I have suffered from depression at times during my sober years and I know many sober Alcoholics who also suffer with it.

The good news is it will get better with time but you may need medical help.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Regular exercise for me is critical to treat depression. That alone doesn't work for everyone but it sure can't hurt.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My experience is depression, anxiety and other feelings are a trap. My mind would say if you have a few drinks you will be ok. The mind wants to roll over to the AV. Its all smoke and mirrors. Do not give in. See a doctor, therapist or friend. Do not mope. The clouds roll out and sunshine reappears.

Enclosed is a quote from Duff Mckagan in How to be a man (and other illusions). Its a bit vulgar but has helped me.
"The way to train for that length of a fight is to remember that you must train harder than the guy you are fighting. Always train harder than the other guy. Whether it’s a physical thing like boxing or a mental thing like depression, be the last guy out of the gym. Depression wants you to stay still. It wants you to lie in bed. That’s when you have to get up and run. If I am having black thoughts, I force myself up, and then I go and break a personal best record—or at least try. This has been my secret and savior. I run through it. I hot yoga with weights through it. I jump rope through it and lift weights through it. I write when I don’t want to and ask my kids how school was and actually listen back through it. I make love through it and climb steep hills with a pack on my back through it. I’ve got a weight on my chest and hope is trying to flee. My body is achy and heavy, and my neck hurts. This is my cue. This is the bell at the beginning of the fight. I put my running shorts and shoes on. Lace up, ************, it’s time to move. I smile and let the outside light in. Let the light in. Outside thoughts stay outside of my head. I stretch and drink water and plan my route. I run with my head up and my chest out and shoulders back. “Be lighter than you are . . . ” Sensei Benny’s voice rings in my ear. “Pick your feet up before they land, and be soundless. Be light. Be light!”