Notices

Back on the wagon...

Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon...

Well, I fell. And now I've climbed back on the Day 1 wagon.

I was 45 days sober, and 3 days into a week long business trip. I knew this trip would be the biggest challenge, with an expense report, and drinking coworkers, and hosted wine hours...all too much. I started out ok, but in the blink of an eye, my AV had won, and the spiral began.

What started as "just one glass", became pulling the third beer out of the mini-bar, which became sitting in the hotel bar alone. I did manage to stay sober during all six flights (first time in forever), so I guess that's a small plus.

I got home on Friday, and made the decision to keep the party going. Spent the entire weekend either drunk or hungover. And on Monday, heading to work, I had all the guilt and anger. Of course my AV still convinced me to drink last night.

Tonight, again the AV almost won. In fact, I bought a six pack on the way home. I sat down to dinner, and opened a magazine to a page with a small article about an overweight guy who quick drinking and started running to get his life back. I'm not a religious guy, but that was a moment. The six pack went down the kitchen sink.

Those 45 days are not lost on me. That's the longest I've gone. It's also the best I've felt in years, and this past weekend was much, much worse. Sobriety is the only thing for me. Testing the waters doesn't work. I think this time, I need to try AA.

Anyway, back this time for hopefully much longer than six weeks.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's good that you made it back, tnek. Some don't...

In addition to reading and posting here, I think AA would be very helpful. There is probably a meeting soon near you!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back tnek

Business trips can be rough I'd imagine, but I think a little foresight can really change things for you.

Maybe you need a better plan?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 03-15-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for your honesty and I'm glad you're right back. It's important for me to remember that no matter how long I go without a drink that once I take that first one all bets are off.

Adding AA to your recovery plan is a good step. Wishing you the best...
Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Make this your last day one.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you made it back. I have been avoiding work happy hours/celebrations. I have used my kids activities as an excuse, even though I could have my husband or a friend take them/pick them up, it gives me a reasonable out.

I will be traveling with a few work colleagues this summer, and they are also friends. They know I had issues with my heart last year and that I am eating healthy and have stopped drinking because I plan on keeping that ticker running for a very long time still! Health is always a valid reason to get out of work drinks.

I know it isn't easy, but if you have the option avoid for a while, and if you don't then have an escape route planned!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Get back on your horse! It's not wasted. Keep strong!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan really really helps
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA has been great for my recovery. It's a group of people who want to stay sober because they don't like what alcohol does to their lives. I feel that others can relate to me there. People are at all stages of sobriety. You can also make friends and hear lots of inspiration and hope.

Lilly
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Trek
I've only travelled alone twice since getting sober last Fall and I survived by having an advance plan.
Trip one: signed up for a local 10k run (I walked it ) followed by two long evening walks. I didn't join colleagues at the bar and business didn't suffer.
Trip two: I went to two AA meetings in Oklahoma City... A town I had never visited. I'm not in AA at home but I needed a safe group of folks on that trip. I met some great folks and kept sober during the drinking fest known as a golf tournament.
Not suggesting these particular activities but definitely advocating an iron clad travel plan before the next trip. They can be dangerous times otherwise.
Welcome back.
Jonathan
Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting back here, you can do it.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are back!
AA has done wonders for me.
Any time of day or night I can call someone from AA and know that someone will pick up the phone and be happy to talk to me. I've really never met a group of more supportive people in my life.
And there's always someone who knows just what I am going through or just how I am feeling who can help me out. Non-alcoholics just don't understand like other drunks do!