Notices

Really want to do this..

Old 03-15-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really want to do this..

Hello everyone. I've accepted the fact that I'm an alcoholic and have been for years. I've gotten worse over the past 2 years and am drinking large amounts of vodka on a nightly basis. I can't continue living like this, I know it will kill me. I have recently made a handful of failed attempts at quitting, which I give myself credit for because I know the desire to quit is there. My husband also is a heavy drinker, he is trying to quit along with me. I have not had a drink since late Sunday night (it's Tuesday afternoon now), and I can already feel the withdrawal setting in. I feel irritable, extremely tired, and have a dull headache.
I'm about to graduate with a degree in a new field, and am looking for work. Even though I go through the motions of school/interning and do well, my heart is not in it. I know this is because of my drinking and how it affects me physically and mentally. Also, I should note that I have bipolar depression, and tapered off all my medication 3 months ago. The meds had horrible side effects that I could no longer tolerate. I know drinking in the long run exasperates my bipolar, even though it helps things temporarily.
All in all, I want to live a clean and healthy life; no drinking, eating better, exercising, etc. to lessen my bipolar symptoms.
Sorry if I'm rambling, my mind is very foggy right now and I guess I just have a lot to say at the moment.. Thank you.

Last edited by Ashes2Stardust; 03-15-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ashes2Stardust
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad you found us. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

I admire you for quitting meds and alcohol also! It is good that you have your husband's support, too. My wife and I quit drinking three years ago, and went to ninety AA meetings in our first ninety days of sobriety. The meetings were way outside our comfort zone, as we are mostly solitary and do not support organized religion. But AA is technically a spiritual, not religious, program. I think those first meetings gave our sobriety a solid foundation--I still go to meetings but my wife does not.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Ashes...
Really great that your husband is with you on this.
You're in a tough period but this stage will pass. I hope you can read posts here that will demonstrate how much better life can be. Many of us have gone through our versions of this and you will find tons of support.
Hang in there.
Jonathan
Old 03-15-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and you are in the right place good for you, u know how hard it is to quit meds and drinking at the same time. There are tons of great reading materials linked on this site. Good luck to you both, wishing you much strength
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Ashes. Glad you found us.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Ashes2Stardust, and congratulations on making a decision to lead a better life in recovery.

That's wonderful that your husband is also quitting but please remember that your own sobriety does not have to be tied to his. There are many, many folks here with great sobriety who have spouses who still drink. It's not easy, but it's do-able.

I hope you'll join us in the Class of March 2016 thread here on this same forum. I've found it to be of great benefit to converse with others here who are at the same point in their recovery from addiction.

Wishing you a happy and sober day today and hope you'll check in often!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ashes2Stardust
always good to have another Bowie fan here

D
Old 03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello stay strong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
73173_inspire_305.jpg (35.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm sorry that your bipolar medication didn't work for you. Does your dr know that you have tapered off the medication? I'm glad that you decided to stop drinking.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashes2Stardust View Post
Hello everyone. I've accepted the fact that I'm an alcoholic and have been for years. I've gotten worse over the past 2 years and am drinking large amounts of vodka on a nightly basis. I can't continue living like this, I know it will kill me. I have recently made a handful of failed attempts at quitting, which I give myself credit for because I know the desire to quit is there. My husband also is a heavy drinker, he is trying to quit along with me. I have not had a drink since late Sunday night (it's Tuesday afternoon now), and I can already feel the withdrawal setting in. I feel irritable, extremely tired, and have a dull headache.
I'm about to graduate with a degree in a new field, and am looking for work. Even though I go through the motions of school/interning and do well, my heart is not in it. I know this is because of my drinking and how it affects me physically and mentally. Also, I should note that I have bipolar depression, and tapered off all my medication 3 months ago. The meds had horrible side effects that I could no longer tolerate. I know drinking in the long run exasperates my bipolar, even though it helps things temporarily.
All in all, I want to live a clean and healthy life; no drinking, eating better, exercising, etc. to lessen my bipolar symptoms.
Sorry if I'm rambling, my mind is very foggy right now and I guess I just have a lot to say at the moment.. Thank you.
Have you heard of Naltraxone or the Sinclair method? You can still drink but it lessens the amount you drink and has helped many others to maintain drinking and have a normal life. I have never tried it "abstinence" is the only way for me...but I was on another website where MANY people are on it...and it is working well for them.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You certainly didn't ramble, Ashes. You make perfect sense. I'm glad you want to reclaim your life and have a new start. We're here to help - glad to meet you.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, its a great place to be.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

You're 100% right that mood and stability improve INCREDIBLY once alcohol is out of the picture.

In my opinion, you'll have the best future if you take the time now to address this problem. It'll be easier now, before you're wrapped up in career demands.

I was helped by intravenous amino acid therapy. My 25-year daily vodka habit was solved in 10 days. You can research this by Googling "amino acid detox," "Br+ brain restoration," or "naturally assisted detox." If you PM me I'll be able to speak more freely about it.

Whatever approach you choose, please make solving this problem a priority so that you can start the next chapter of your life with strength. I'm sure you've already thought about how unmanageable it's going to be trying to perform in your career with a hangover every day.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ashes2Stardust!!