Notices

Insane- a dog threatening my sobriety

Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insane- a dog threatening my sobriety

This is insane. I am just posting here to post. I am losing my mind over a DOG. My children's father has a dog, a German Shepherd. He has him as a guard dog as he has an illness and does not feel safe alone in his house, particularly with the children.
The problem is he does not care for this dog at all!!!!!! At all!!! This poor dog is without attention and love. My ex has a gardener and house keeper who lives on the property who feeds the dog and gives him some attention. This gardener is currently on holiday at at home in India for six weeks.
As such the dog has escaped the confines of the villa and come to my house and will not leave! I have tried putting him in the car and taking him back to the villa, no luck. I have driven the road with the dog following me and taken him back to the villa but no luck.
I cannot handle the stress of caring for this animal. My ex tells me "just don't worry, he'll be fine" but I cannot do that. I cannot open my gate and have him run into the street, cars swerving almost hitting him…. what if they hit him? What if they get in an accident and hurt of kill themselves from swerving to miss the dog? I am completely trapped in my home because of this. I go outside to work in the garden and the poor thing brings the ball to play with me. I can't even leave to buy him food so I am feeding him stuff out of the freezer.
I do not like domestic animals. I am sorry. I know a lot of people love having animals but I can barely take care of myself and my kids, much less an animal. But I have a heart. I can't leave knowing he will escape and likely get hit by a car.
It is honestly driving me to drink!!!!!! How can I deal with this animal? Any advice for keeping him close to home while I go out? I obviously have to care for him until the gardener returns. I do have a heart, just not the will.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do they have boarding kennels in Italy? Call the vet? Maybe they can board him there or know someone who can.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am losing my mind over this, which is an indication of my general mental health but I have to say, this dog is completely annoying. My ex would never put him in a kennel, he wants him wandering around. But he is completely out of it when it comes to this dog. The other day I went to get the kids at his house and take them to school, 8am ish. The dog followed me out of the gate and ran down the road. I finally lost him. I walked my son into his class and when I came out the dog was there in the school parking lot with mothers and children screaming- he looks very aggressive and big. I was humiliated. I first thought to ignore it and pretend I didn't know the dog. But I saw the fear in the other parents, so I finally caught him by the collar and put him in my car. It is ridiculous though, I spend, at a minimum, 1 to 2 hours a day dealing with this dog. And that is fine if you have a pet and love dogs but I don't!!! I do not want a pet!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The dog, somehow has followed me and is now living at my house!!! He tries to play with me and I feel sorry for him so I throw the ball. I put a little mattress pad outside for him and he sleeps there. Today I fed him a quiche I made. I also gave him some baked beans but he didn't eat that. I don't have any meat left in the freezer, I am not sure what to feed him.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most dogs love cooked oatmeal...worth a try...
Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This poor animal. He seems happy here, I pet him and try to treat him nice. He seems really happy in my house. I've invited him inside but he is respectful. I just don't know what to do, I feel trapped. He is desperate for attention so he follows me everywhere, even when I leave in the car. But it is dangerous!
Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If your ex won't kennel him, is there a neighbor that will watch him? Can you leave him in a small room in your home (so he doesn't get loose) to go get some dog food? Thank you for looking out for him.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd call a kennel or the police perhaps. It's not your responsibility and you have other things to worry about that are more pressing.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am doing my best. Like I said, I do not want a pet. However Ido have a heart. I have taken him back home but he continuously escapes and comes back to my house. So I feed him, play with him and care for him. I cannot leave him and ignore him. But I have to be honest, it is a stress. This morning I wanted to go to the gym and then pay my bills (don't get me started on bill paying in Italy, you have to go to a BAR to do that) I couldn't leave! I didn't have the heart to have him running down he middle of the road. He is really stupid! He won't even avoid cars, he runs in the middle of the road!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I am doing my best. Like I said, I do not want a pet. However Ido have a heart. I have taken him back home but he continuously escapes and comes back to my house. So I feed him, play with him and care for him. I cannot leave him and ignore him. But I have to be honest, it is a stress. This morning I wanted to go to the gym and then pay my bills (don't get me started on bill paying in Italy, you have to go to a BAR to do that) I couldn't leave! I didn't have the heart to have him running down he middle of the road. He is really stupid! He won't even avoid cars, he runs in the middle of the road!
Call the police or a kennel.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't understand why if your childrens father got the dog to feel safe he's ok with it being at your house Mera?

I'm also unclear why you can't leave the house? would you need to get out of the car to close the gate again?

Bottom line, If you don't like dogs you don't like dogs.

Ring your childrens father and tell him you cannot take on this responsibility and he needs to take the dog and to ensure it's secure.

D
Old 02-16-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am getting close to calling the "animal police" I hate to do that because it will be a €500 fine for my ex, whom I respect and care for, but I am at my wits end!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am getting close to calling the "animal police" I hate to do that because it will be a €500 fine for my ex, whom I respect and care for, but I am at my wits end!
I would do so. You are not capable of taking care of it right now and it sounds like your ex is pretty careless as a pet owner leaving a dog home alone with no food anyone to take care of it.

Perhaps the fine will be incentive to him to take better care of the animal when he gets home.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't understand why if your childrens father got the dog to feel safe he's ok with it being at your house Mera?

I'm also unclear why you can't leave the house? would you need to get out of the car to close the gate again?

Bottom line, If you don't like dogs you don't like dogs.

Ring your childrens father and tell him you cannot take on this responsibility and he needs to take the dog and to ensure it's secure.

D
EXACTLY! If he wants a guard dog what goods the dog doing here at my house?!?!!?!?!?!!? It is ridiculous!
I have trouble leaving the house because i have, as do many n Italy, an automatic gate. I press a button on a remote and the gate opens, then once my car, or myself, leaves, the gate closes automatically. Bu this dog, when he sees the gate open, runs out. I have tried waiting to feed him until I leave, but nothing works, he follows me everywhere, If I loved dogs it would be endearing, but I don't.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I would do so. You are not capable of taking care of it right now and it sounds like your ex is pretty careless as a pet owner leaving a dog home alone with no food anyone to take care of it.

Perhaps the fine will be incentive to him to take better care of the animal when he gets home.
I have decided that the next time the dog escapes (as I do have to go on about my life) I will do this. I am so sorry, but I cannot handle this crazy dog. I have told him that, he has warning and has chosen not to do anything about it.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have decided that the next time the dog escapes (as I do have to go on about my life) I will do this. I am so sorry, but I cannot handle this crazy dog. I have told him that, he has warning and has chosen not to do anything about it.
Just call them now, don't wait for the next time it escapes as it could get hurt. You've done all you can and it's time for someone else to take over.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Often when we feel responsible for the problems of others, or try to help them even at our own expense, it can easily spiral into a co-dependent situation, which isn't healthy for anyone, much less someone in recovery. As heartless as it sounds, I say allow him to pay the 500 fine and perhaps he'll see that he can't just put this stress on you. He probably doesn't realize why you can't just "chill out " about the idea of this dog roaming the streets, but you don't have to take care of it. You aren't responsible for his circus. Or his monkeys.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel so sorry for this poor dog who has no one to care for him.

It seems it would be best to have the authorities take him away. Will they kill him or will they try to find someone to care for him?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't know Anna, for that reason I am caring for him. He's a beautiful, good boy except for this issue. I don't want a pet because I don't feel I have the capacity to give him the attrntion he deserved. Yet I am the only one who cares fir him. I can't ignore him even if I want to.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'd take him in a second, if you didn't live in Italy. Your ex would never find him here!