Notices

Scared of failure

Old 02-10-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of failure

So here I am again, I want to succeed but I've failed before. I struggle when I get home from work on my own with my two dogs, I use alcohol to relax and to sleep and without it I have no idea what to do with myself. It sounds bonkers I know but how do you get over feeling like this so I don't get into my car to drive to the shops to buy wine.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lou sounds like your sick & tired of being sick & tired know you have found a fantastic recovery community its nice to meet you your not alone
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got help to get sober for good. I saw an addiction counselor for several years and checked into SR every day. I failed often too, but never gave up, and finally got it right.

Don't give up!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks do you have any tips?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Surly, we have all had that thought, "there has got to be something better than this". Fact is there is on exponential number of things better. The issue is that we have to reach out and do something else. As much of a hell as alcohol can be, it is comfortable. To get out of the routine/addiction, we have to reach out of our comfort zone and look for new things to do and new ways to act. It can be different things for anyone, though I personally fine exercise activities of some sort crucial not only for physical, but also mental health. While it is uncomfortable to do new things, the rewards are almost immediate and immeasurable. For me that is/was the only way to get out from under. After going through a whole gamut of programs, ideologies for quitting, it is for me as simple as that.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi louwillquitthis, I am early in the recovery process so I don't like to try to give a lot of advice, but I wanted to acknowledge the aspect of being alone at night. My husband works away from home half the month so I had a lot of time alone to curl up with a bottle. I started the process while I was still drinking. I really tried to pay attention to the way it made me feel while I was getting drunk. Was I enjoying myself? What was I getting out of it? In the end I realized that I really wasn't having any fun, I was just feeding the beast that was demanding to be fed. I needed to take my power back from my addiction. I know that some people here will say they are powerless over alcohol, and I understand that. But we aren't powerless over taking that first drink. So I started trying to focus on other things, like cooking healthy foods and getting some exercise, and I started taking valarian root and melatonin at night to help me go to bed early so I could get a good night sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. It got much easier after just a few weeks. And I feel great. You can do this if you really want it.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

There's nothing wrong with feeling fear.

There's something wrong with not challenging it.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yep here you go

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that going out to the park and walking helped. Also playing video games as it completely consumes my brain.

But yeah I know what you're saying, at first you can't imagine not drinking to make the time pass and to relax you for sleep. In my experience, as my brain started to recover, I started to crave activities like walks, hanging with friends, gaming, etc. it just naturally happened. But at first I had to force myself to get out and do things...have you thought of going to AA?

Hang in there!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Fear of failure and anxiety in general are symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. So is insomnia. If you are unable to get over a couple days of anxiety and insomnia, maybe you should seek medical assistance to quit drinking.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This I our Sticky Link of how we did it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome louwillquitthis
I 'failed' for 15 years until I didn't

the thing about sobriety is, is its simple.

Do not pour drink down your throat.

Notice I said simple, not easy - but that really is the bottom line and I believe it really is achievable for anyone and everyone

Find whatever other positive support and tools you can to help make lasting sobriety happen. Don't be afraid to make changes to your life that reflect your desire to be sober

A recovery plan is often a good place to start:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

No matter what's happened in the past you can make the outcome different this time - believe that

D