He got home from rehab and cheated...

Old 12-20-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He got home from rehab and cheated...

Hello,

I'm new to this site and I'm feeling absolutely heartbroken. My boyfriend of nearly 10 years voluntarily went into a one week rehab about two weeks ago. I visited him twice during the 7 day period and he acted lethargic and somewhat moody towards me. He said he was given librium , ativan, and sleep aids to help him with withdrawal. When he was on his way home, he called me and said he needed to "process" some things and wanted to be alone for a week or so. When I returned just days ago to his home, a girl's purse was there and a half bottle of wine. He was in rehab for alcohol and apparently met this girl there. Not only did he sleep with her, I ended up taking her home because she was going to walk several miles home. He was at his outpatient rehab meeting and assumed she would be gone. She was in rehab for drinking and depression and there was beer/wine she brought over! Are you kidding me? I know I'm an idiot and that I should have left him long ago. I just feel so broken and I'm in disbelief that this is happening to me. He went into rehab for excessive drinking, and left an even bigger cheater and liar.

I'm not sure what they do in rehab as far as the counselors and psychiatrists, but surely this type of behavior isn't condoned. I'm just sickened and disgusted by the entire thing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sad and confused,
Lynn
Old 12-20-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome Lynn. sorry for what brings you here, REALLY sorry.

would you say your blinders are OFF now, towards your bf? he's a drunk and a cheater and a liar. he's violated every tenet of your relationship, what shreds are left anyways.

it sounds like you live apart, that can make the break easier. you have the power to stop the hurt.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynnaxo99 View Post

He went into rehab for excessive drinking, and left an even bigger cheater and liar.

I'm just sickened and disgusted by the entire thing.

Lynn
Sorry to hear that Lynn.

Rehab for some is only a beginning on a new moral life.
And then many that get out of rehab still have not a clue.
You have been done very wrong and there is no excuse for that.
Time to take care of yourself and leave that one alone.
Maybe this wasn't the first and probably wouldn't be the last.

Life is hard enough without bringing on to ourselves extra suffering.

M-Bob
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what they do in rehab as far as the counselors and psychiatrists, but surely this type of behavior isn't condoned. I'm just sickened and disgusted by the entire thing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sad and confused,
Lynn
It isn't condoned, but they can't hover over every patient and prevent them from starting conversations with anybody. Rehab relationships do happen. My thoughts are that feeling sickened and disgusted are the appropriate reactions.

Did you tell this new girl that her fling is your boyfriend? How did she react?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I would look forward to 10 years of becoming a new person outside "that" relationship. One can look at the why's, what's, etc., but it just is. Were I you it would henceforth be something else. Trying to figure it out is a waste of time. Look forward to a new life without having to worry about it. I know it is not quite that easy, but it is a choice between more of the same or something better.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lynne,
I am sorry for you pain, yes addicts hurt us. It comes to a point of how much hurt and disappointment we can take.

At some point in your life you will realize who they really are. I was a slow learner, it took me 34 years with my addict until I found enough respect for my self and left. I wish I left after 10 years or 20. I wasted 1/2 my life living with the "crazyness".

I would hit an alanon meeting, keep posting on SR and stop worrying about him. No new contact means no new hurts. Move forward and start putting your life back together.

Hugs my friend, You are beautiful and deserve better!!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, lynn--welcome to SR, and I'm sorry for the pain you're feeling right now. You've unmistakably seen who your BF really is--the next move is up to you.

I think if you read around the board here, it will help you have some perspective. It's new and raw now, but in time, I think you'll see it as a bullet dodged. This guy has treated you with utter disrespect and has no business taking up one more moment of your time.

You say he was in rehab/therapy. Looks like it did him no good. How about yourself? I'm guessing you could use some help too--if a healthy person walked into the situation that you walked into, I doubt if her response would be to give a ride home to the woman her BF cheated on her with "b/c it was a long walk." Take a look at a book called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. Get yourself to some Alanon meetings. Read around the forum here.

There may or may not be help for him--it depends on what HE does and is in no way dependent on YOUR actions or lack thereof. With some learning, support and time, you can let go of any hopes or expectations in that area and come to the end of your feelings of betrayal and hurt.

However, there is most assuredly help for YOU, and THAT is where you should concentrate your efforts and what we here can help you with.

And again, (((hugs))) for the pain you're feeling now.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Seven days barely covers detox--you don't do "rehab" in a week. I'd be willing to bet he was doing this sort of thing before this.

These revelations are incredibly painful, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to let this relationship go and focus on your own healing.

Hugs,
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
Did you tell this new girl that her fling is your boyfriend? How did she react?
Yes, she was apologetic, but kept calling me "dude". Just ridiculous...

I told her my name was Lynn and to stop calling me "dude". I literally felt like I was living a nightmare or I was in a Lifetime movie. She said that he mentioned he was seeing someone, but she didn't know anything about me. I'm infuriated and disgusted just thinking about it. I only took the girl home because she looked like a wreck and I felt terribly for her in a strange, twisted way.

She said she wouldn't mess with him anymore, but I don't even care about that anymore. Oh, and he had the nerve to tell me that he didn't need the drama right now because he's going through recovery!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HE doesn't need the drama?

That's funny seeing as he created it.

YOU don't need the drama.

Yes, she was apologetic, but kept calling me "dude". Just ridiculous...

I told her my name was Lynn and to stop calling me "dude". I literally felt like I was living a nightmare or I was in a Lifetime movie. She said that he mentioned he was seeing someone, but she didn't know anything about me. I'm infuriated and disgusted just thinking about it. I only took the girl home because she looked like a wreck and I felt terribly for her in a strange, twisted way.

She said she wouldn't mess with him anymore, but I don't even care about that anymore. Oh, and he had the nerve to tell me that he didn't need the drama right now because he's going through recovery!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do remember what a sad and painful time it was when I walked away.

For me, I was being backed in a corner, I had two choices, I could stay and lose myself to this God awful disease, continue to live with his lies, anger, resentments,black outs, and all the other common alcohol related traits,
or I could choose a life free of addiction, and let him go.

i can remember, laying in bed at night, praying for a miracle, that he would just wake up one day and say enough of this nonsense. Well, that never happened, but I did wake up one day, and say "what about me, don't I deserve to live without all this crazy, madness?"

Now we throw that monkey wrench of infidelity into this mix, and you are living in a very toxic, unhealthy situation.

In any relationship, when trust has been compromised, the relationship fails to thrive, trust is something that isn't going to just magically reappear, it may take years to rebuild.

The question I would be asking myself, "how much more of me am I willing to invest in this situation? "

When people show you who they truly are, best to believe them.

I know the sick and digusted feeling you curently have, I held on to mine just long enough to get me over the hump, everytime I felt like I wanted to contact him, all I had to do is remember the hurt, and somehow I forced myself to NOT go there. Keep your mind real busy, try and not let this consume you. His poor life choices are a reflection of him not YOU.

You are worthy of so much more. Sometimes we must Love, honor, and respect ourselves first, and living in an addicted situation, we lose ourselves along the way. I would start taking care of just myself, leave him to his own devices.

Keep posting it really helps to get it all out. ((((hugs))))
Old 12-20-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone! This is very fresh and just happened on Friday.

I am going to head to an Al Anon meeting this upcoming week and try to pull myself together. I know I need to leave this situation as soon as possible, but I'm hurting so badly. My friends have been on an emotional rollercoaster with me and it helps that all of you replied with sound, thoughtful words. Thank you so much!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

lynn....you sound like a nice person....I think you deserve a better life partner than this.....

I am glad you are going to alanon...you are going to need it.
I'll bet the children's milk money that you have not h eard the last from him.....I predict that when this novelty wears off....he will be o n your doorstep begging and offering false promises.....

Get ready......

dandylion
Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lynn,
You don't need to do anything right now. When you enter the walls of alanon they recomend you not to do anything for 6 months. Till you are ready and can execute what you really want and need to do.

Sit back, educate yourself and see what happens. Don't rush a solution that you might regret later.

We are here for you for the long haul!! Hugs my friend, as they say in AA, take one day at a time.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Lynn, I would like to extend both a resounding welcome along with simultaneous sorrow that you are here. Holy buckets does this stuff hurt!!

Before I went through the breakup with my ABF, I honestly thought people died before they felt the level of pain I was in.

Hang tough beautiful woman. It will pass but it does take time. Get to an Alanon meeting. Try to eat as healthy as you can; Stay hydrated and exercise. You might want to see a doc as sleeping can get tough.

I second the recommendation of Melody Beattie books. Also for grieving the best I found was How to Survive the Loss of a Love. It is a really quick easy read that addresses the pain.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone! This is very fresh and just happened on Friday.

I am going to head to an Al Anon meeting this upcoming week and try to pull myself together. I know I need to leave this situation as soon as possible, but I'm hurting so badly. My friends have been on an emotional rollercoaster with me and it helps that all of you replied with sound, thoughtful words. Thank you so much!
Hi Lynn,

The drinking and alcoholism is one thing but when another girl (lower companion) enters the picture all bets are off. I encountered something similar although not as involved but I went painfully no contact for 90 days. I had to protect myself and it was the best thing I could have done.

I stayed away from sweeping absolutes and long term conclusions but just went into safe mode. I found taking it piece by piece was easier, the situation is so massive and such a shock please take it very easy.

Be well,
Kzen
Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hi Lynn, I would like to extend both a resounding welcome along with simultaneous sorrow that you are here. Holy buckets does this stuff hurt!!

Before I went through the breakup with my ABF, I honestly thought people died before they felt the level of pain I was in.

Hang tough beautiful woman. It will pass but it does take time. Get to an Alanon meeting. Try to eat as healthy as you can; Stay hydrated and exercise. You might want to see a doc as sleeping can get tough.

I second the recommendation of Melody Beattie books. Also for grieving the best I found was How to Survive the Loss of a Love. It is a really quick easy read that addresses the pain.
Thank you so much; I will definitely check out her books and I appreciate the great advice. I am having trouble sleeping and have found myself waking up in the middle of the night. I just wonder how some people can be so selfish and hurtful? I wouldn't be able to live with myself!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also have another concern/question. "G" (my BF, ex, whatever) has been prescribed at least 2-3 pills, one of which is for anti-anxiety. The girl he was with had them in her purse, too. He may be selfish and evil in my eyes right now, but I do want him to stay sober for his own sake. At what point are the pills no longer needed? I went with him when he checked into rehab and sat through a two hour interview. I know he was detoxing from alcohol plus ambien/xanax. I just wonder when the pills are out and a person just does it on their own or do they?

That was another thing...when I found her purse on the coffee table, I looked through it and she had cigarettes, loose cash, and pills. It all seemed so sad to me. I'm a teacher and I had just gotten out of school for our two week holiday break. I showed up dressed to the nines in my professional attire and she came out of the bedroom dressed in all black and weighed a buck and no change soaking wet. I suppose that is why I didn't explode in a fury at her; she even said, "You're beautiful...I get it." I'm like, "Uhhhh...thank you?" Issues...too many to count.

I told her that if she's an addict, she needed to find someone who wasn't an addict, too. I went into straight teacher mode! Additionally, I told her she shouldn't be drinking anything if she's on these prescription pills. Haha, and she lost her phone and couldn't find it. Convenient. She was 25...he's 32, and I'm 34. He told me once when he was drunk and on Ambien that although I was very beautiful, he would trade me for a girl who was 5-7 years younger who wasn't as attractive. I just didn't think it would happen in rehab.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good Morning Lynn,

My mother always said " it's not what they look like, it's what they say".....ahhhh, wisdom.

It seems as if your BF, Exbf, whatever, isn't too worried about his boozing, pill popping ways so why bother worrying yourself over it? He is a 32 year old man. Let HIM deal with HIS own issues. You have got yourself to think about.
I'm so sorry for what finds you here but glad you found us.
Now, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and try to imagine a life without the constant chaos of being a partner to an alcoholic. Nice, right? I know it is easier said than done, we all know but really is that the way you want to continue on with your life? I can't imagine you will trust him again after this.
Good for you for being such a kind person in giving that girl a ride home ( better than me, I'm sure I would have ripped every hair off her head). That shows integrity and I applaud you for that. Now please, treat yourself with the same kindness and try to work yourself OUT of that abusive, yes abusive, " relationship". I know 10 years is a long time to be with somebody but you are a young girl with a full life ahead of you and you deserve a lot more than you are settling for with this character of a "man". Read around this site, get yourself educated on this disease, go to an AlAnon meeting and most importantly give yourself some space from the situation.
We are here for you so please keep posting.
Ro
Old 12-21-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

His comment about trading you in for someone 5-7 years younger is total emotional, disrespectful abuse.

Also when he told you "HE doesn't need the drama." He twisted everything away from himself and put it all on you but he created the situation. Another abuse tactic.

His intake of pills is his problem,not yours.

Your problem is you and taking care of you.

Taking care of ourselves is totally foreign at first because we are so outwardly focussed but we do get used to it.

To quote him "You don't need the drama."

I also have another concern/question. "G" (my BF, ex, whatever) has been prescribed at least 2-3 pills, one of which is for anti-anxiety. The girl he was with had them in her purse, too. He may be selfish and evil in my eyes right now, but I do want him to stay sober for his own sake. At what point are the pills no longer needed? I went with him when he checked into rehab and sat through a two hour interview. I know he was detoxing from alcohol plus ambien/xanax. I just wonder when the pills are out and a person just does it on their own or do they?

That was another thing...when I found her purse on the coffee table, I looked through it and she had cigarettes, loose cash, and pills. It all seemed so sad to me. I'm a teacher and I had just gotten out of school for our two week holiday break. I showed up dressed to the nines in my professional attire and she came out of the bedroom dressed in all black and weighed a buck and no change soaking wet. I suppose that is why I didn't explode in a fury at her; she even said, "You're beautiful...I get it." I'm like, "Uhhhh...thank you?" Issues...too many to count.

I told her that if she's an addict, she needed to find someone who wasn't an addict, too. I went into straight teacher mode! Additionally, I told her she shouldn't be drinking anything if she's on these prescription pills. Haha, and she lost her phone and couldn't find it. Convenient. She was 25...he's 32, and I'm 34. He told me once when he was drunk and on Ambien that although I was very beautiful, he would trade me for a girl who was 5-7 years younger who wasn't as attractive. I just didn't think it would happen in rehab.