Notices

Why did i never see my GP before?

Old 12-05-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why did i never see my GP before?

So still struggling and have still been drinking. I started again my day 1 - 4 days ago. I knew I needed another plan. Everything I was doing before was not working. I bit the bullet this morning and went to see my GP and I am SO grateful- he was just awesome, so understanding and has fast tracked me to start one on one counselling this Wednesday. I am so worried that I have damaged my liver but he did give a little check over and said its seems ok but he cannot be certain without blood tests/scans which I am having first thing Tuesday morning! I have been putting off my gp for so long in the worry he would look down at me and not really be interested however he seemed so positive I was there and was very encouraging! What a great start to the weekend. Also I have started the Alan Carr book - control your drinking, has anyone tried this? What's your opinions?
Old 12-05-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

Anything that says control your drinking I wouldn't read personally this is not about control it's about giving control to a higher power. As far as your doctor goes yeah he's not going to really care about your alcoholism he's going to care about you he's a good doctor. No one really wants to judge another alcoholic and I doctors in that boat too as a professional. If you really want to get good literature read AA read the 12 and 12 then read the big book that's AA literature but that doesn't mean you have to go to AA like I said anything other than a literature for a beginner is too confusing and a lot of it is false empty promises.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you admitted you are alcoholic to yourself?
Old 12-05-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff Lenox! The Allen Carr easy way to control your drinking is actually about changing you view of alcohol and its perceived benefits and moving to complete abstinence. Great read and one of the first ones for me. I am 15 months sober now, so it certainly helped something click. You are on the path friend, keep on truckin!!
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Step12 View Post
Have you admitted you are alcoholic to yourself?
Yes I am very much so an alcoholic - I need to stop drinking - well I have but its only day 4 so very early but just need a new recovery plan. This is the first time I have asked for professional help - so very grateful that I can start the one on one counselling this Wednesday. I have also cancelled my whole social diary for the upcoming festive holidays as right now I do not trust myself around alcohol. I will give the big book a go.
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lennox. Talking to a doctor was the first step for me too, I still remember what a relief it was to be able to voice something that had been haunting me daily. I remember how kind and nonjudgemental she was, she treated it like any other medical condition.

I did have a period where I read about controlled drinking. But for me controlling my drinking was simply prolonging the agony. To be honest, sobriety seems much easier than trying to control drinking, and after a certain point, sobriety also seemed much easier than drinking!

It was hard for me to envision a life without alcohol early on, today I rarely think about drinking. Being on SR helped me enormously. I would encourage you to read as much as you can. There are many approaches to sobriety as you will see here, this forum is a supportive and very inspirational place!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just my opinion. Disclaimer.....alan car sounds like a former smoker who is a salesman that doesn't know much about anything but bashing other programs that's my opinion it's obvious he's never been to an healthy AA meeting. I don't think anybody who Bashes any road to recovery has good spiritual principles !!!that's my personal opinion!!!!

I'm not bashing him if it works for you. We are all wired differently.

But if it will keep you sober I say go for it! It's not about how you get there necessarily it's about how you live your life once you're sober if you feel like you have good spiritual principles and can stay soberthen hopefully will build a relationship with your higher power and become one with universe! LOL
Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PS: congrats on day 4. I applaud your wisdom to cancel activities that involve drinking in the near future. The first year I scaled my social life back dramatically and in the second year began to revisit situations I felt comfortable in. There are events and things I do easily now that I could not have imagined doing in early sobriety. I am a nondrinker, and I continue to be astounded by how much I have gained by deciding that alcohol is no longer an option for me.

I have been on SR since the beginning and during that time I have never heard anyone regret getting sober. In fact often people who might be still drinking reminisce about periods of sobriety as "the good old days"! It is not easy, especially at the outset, but it is the most important decision I have ever made in my life.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! 😊 I'm actually feeling a bit stronger about it all today and the GP visit really helped with that. Hope everyone is enjoying their sober weekend so far
Old 12-05-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Just my opinion. Disclaimer.....alan car sounds like a former smoker who is a salesman that doesn't know much about anything but bashing other programs
Allen Carr doesn't bash any program. He offers his experience with successfully quitting alcohol. His approach has helped many, many people. He simply sets up alcohol as a poison with no benefits and then proceeds to review and discredit the normal litany of perceived benefits. Let's not forgot that Bill W was only a salesman...
Old 12-05-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
PS: congrats on day 4. I applaud your wisdom to cancel activities that involve drinking in the near future. The first year I scaled my social life back dramatically and in the second year began to revisit situations I felt comfortable in. There are events and things I do easily now that I could not have imagined doing in early sobriety. I am a nondrinker, and I continue to be astounded by how much I have gained by deciding that alcohol is no longer an option for me. I have been on SR since the beginning and during that time I have never heard anyone regret getting sober. In fact often people who might be still drinking reminisce about periods of sobriety as "the good old days"! It is not easy, especially at the outset, but it is the most important decision I have ever made in my life.
Thank you! All these words are great inspiration for me.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Allen Carr doesn't bash any program. He offers his experience with successfully quitting alcohol. His approach has helped many, many people. He simply sets up alcohol as a poison with no benefits and then proceeds to review and discredit the normal litany of perceived benefits. Let's not forgot that Bill W was only a salesman...
Have you read it?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Glad you went to your GP, I also put it off for way way too long afraid of what they might find. I finally went a few months after quitting for good and it really put my mind at ease. I had them run basically all the blood tests and it was good to know my cholesterol was a little high and how to manage that . The best news was finding out my liver and kidneys were okay.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
Have you read it?
Yes, quite some time ago. It is very similar to Jason Vale's book as well. (They used to work together).
Old 12-05-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
Thanks guys! 😊 I'm actually feeling a bit stronger about it all today and the GP visit really helped with that. Hope everyone is enjoying their sober weekend so far
Reading your posts gave me joy I'm really happy for you Lennox your doing great if you ever want to chat drop a pm Congratulations once again my friend
Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I take back anything I said about Carr. I was judging. Oops. He is just not clear to me on his approach. Nonetheless as I continue to profess.... Do what it takes!!!! This isn't a competition. Thank goodness!!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Yes, quite some time ago. It is very similar to Jason Vale's book as well. (They used to work together).
So you would recommend?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No. I don't. I don't care for it. It would not work for me in my opinion his approach is everything I thought of on my own prior to actual recovery for myself. However I'm sure he makes some good points. I think that other literature gives you a way of life versus tips and tricks to control but that's my opinion

Please note I said approach. I did not dig into his solutions
Old 12-05-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh sorry that opinion wasn't for me to answer LOL nonetheless opinions have two sides. so be it

But as to not confuse a newcomer if that's the book in hand that's the book They should read right?

This is about one day at a time
Old 12-05-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh sorry that opinion wasn't for me to answer LOL nonetheless opinions have two sides. so be it But as to not confuse a newcomer if that's the book in hand that's the book They should read right? This is about one day at a time
Ahhh no worries!! I am open to advice from everyone and very grateful for all the responses.