Notices

Honesty

Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty

Drinking thoughts are bothering me and have done for the past week or so. It's been a difficult week or so at work, my relationship is going through some tricky times and we are off for a bit of a 'make or break' weekend...and there they are. They are like a dark side of me... whispering lies that a drink could make this better. I feel like those whispers try to seduce me at first, but when I shine a light on them they shrink away. They are dark and evil and afraid of being exposed. If I don't expose them, their powers grow 'no-one would ever know'...I am away for the weekend with my alcoholic partner...he would be happy for me to drink, my kids are not around. I've got a week off work to recover.

But I would know. God would know. And I do not lie any more. Honesty has become the cornerstone of my sobriety this time. So I'm sharing this with you all too.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you shared Jeni. Light kills monsters

Please remember - the AV always lies. Whatever the solutions are, they're not behind you

D
Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, you would know. And, that would taint any possible pleasure enough to make it just not worth it.

You can look forward to waking up proud of yourself.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jeni, and you know it wouldn't just be for the weekend, it walks be the thin end of the wedge.

Have a good weekend and stomp on the old AV.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Honesty has become the cornerstone of my sobriety this time.
When it was so easy to lie. So easy to destroy, dismantle, devastate. It still takes my breath away.

Jeni, "you need a clear head to deal with your relationship." A good friend of mine told me this while I was drinking and boy did it make me mad! But she was right and I will never forget that moment in time.

You deserve to see your life with clear eyes, heart and mind. No matter how you feel this weekend or what comes your way. You want to be sober, for you. No more drowning in lies. You stopped doing that a long time ago and no matter the challenges, you are doing a great job.

Are you traveling somewhere beautiful? Have a wonderful time. BTW - I really appreciate your posts. You're a wise lady and offer so much to us.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My issue is fear of the future, but I know that is is ridiculous to live there. I've let go of the past, have got a pretty secure present, but I can't stop those thoughts of 'what if?'

But I will be ok. The dark clouds that sit on my right shoulder can disappear for another day. I've got this.

Thanks my friends ❤️
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Alcohol lives and breeds on lies. The very premise that alcohol is the solution to anything other than pain and suffering always has to be at the forefront of our minds.

You are so right nobody will know but you. Unfortunately in the final analysis "You" are the only person who makes a difference.

Good for telling on yourself and take it a day at a time because these feelings will pass
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jen
Glad you shared and hope you will continue to do so and continue to remain sober. Good for you
I have fleeting moments of wanting to drink as well, sneaky ones. Like "I could have a few and nobody would know"... But I would know, as you said... we would know!
Way to keep it honest, glad to be in your company.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post Jeni!!

Though don't beat yourself up over having these thoughts about drinking, they are merely that, thoughts on their own don't cause hangovers, it's the actions that we follow through with is the important thing!!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Jeni. I wished I had posted before I gave into those whispers. I always, always regretted it.
Stay true.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post Jeni, i hope u have a great wkend & it goes as smoothly as possible, must b hard that ur partner is also an alcoholic, like u said, u would know & its not worth it, u know that, but i dont think its bad ur having these thoughts, seems perfectly natural to me, i sometimes wonder if we ever stop wanting that drink......i hope so?!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a tough relationship too, so I relate to the challenge you're facing and send you positive vibes for a good outcome for you. My coping was always to drink - in the past. A quote from the book "The sober revolution" helps me. "How would a drink help this situation?" The answer for me every time, is not at all.
Be well
xx
Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Awesome thread.

Ive learned the once the alcohlic pathways are created in the brain, like they are in my brain, they are irreversible.

We will always have the crave. Some have it stronger. It comes and goes. Etc. But, it will always be there. Lurking in the shadows of our emotions.

To battle it we have use the analytical mind. The AV, the crave, lives in the reptile brain. The emotional brain. That is where it gets strength.

We analyze, roll the tape backwards and forwards, and know what the repercussions of our drinking will cause. (E.g mental sickness, physical pain).

We have to find other avenues to satisfy the reptile mind. Exercise and Jiu Jitsu have been part of mine. Walks on the beach, hiking, riding bicycles etc are other ways to positively involve and appease the reptile mind.

Helping others deal with the crave, and the repercussions of the crave, according to the BB, is part of the healing. Part of the defense.

The world according to D122y.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hang in there Jeni. You can do this. We know drinking won't solve a thing. We also know that AV is a liar....make it squirm

Have a lovely week off work and enjoy!!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jeni, first off, you are awesome.

Yes, honesty is a fantastic cornerstone of sobriety. It probably is the cornerstone for all of us, whether we realize it or not. I remember thinking I was being honest with myself when drinking, but in reality I wasn't honest with anyone- least of all myself.

I used to succumb to the "no one will know..." All the time.

About two years ago, my partner's father was dying. Her family lives in another country. He had been ill for years, so my partner had started going home more often. Then we got the call that things were getting worse very quickly. We weren't married yet, so my going with her was out of the question. She had to get on a plan every quickly, and would begins for an unknown amount of time. She was perfectly willing to quit her job and be there for as long as it took. Of course I supported her, but on the inside I was very worried that this could've the end for us. The fear of uncertainty ate me alive.

As I drove home from the airport, that old familiar "nobody will know" thoughts came back. My partner would be gone, maybe a month, maybe a year, maybe she'd move back for good. I could just stop at that store and nobody would know. I could "drink in peace" for as long as I liked.

I even thought with the stress we'd been under for so long with his illness ment to some extent that I was entitled to drink. I deserved it!

Thankfully, I was able to tell myself I didn't want to wreck 9 months of sobriety over it. 9 months was my all time record at that point.

I came on here and told I myself. I talked to my sponsor. I doubled down on recovery.

I'm very glad I stayed sober. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been glad about drinking.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Drinking thoughts are bothering me and have done for the past week or so. It's been a difficult week or so at work, my relationship is going through some tricky times and we are off for a bit of a 'make or break' weekend...and there they are. They are like a dark side of me... whispering lies that a drink could make this better. I feel like those whispers try to seduce me at first, but when I shine a light on them they shrink away. They are dark and evil and afraid of being exposed. If I don't expose them, their powers grow 'no-one would ever know'...I am away for the weekend with my alcoholic partner...he would be happy for me to drink, my kids are not around. I've got a week off work to recover.

But I would know. God would know. And I do not lie any more. Honesty has become the cornerstone of my sobriety this time. So I'm sharing this with you all too.
Great post and in my opinion, honesty is the cornerstone of a good life and strong character.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeni, bringing those feelings and thoughts into the light is the right thing to do. You are strong and you can get through this. I'm sorry things are difficult with your relationship and I hope things work out in a way that is the best for you.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
When it was so easy to lie. So easy to destroy, dismantle, devastate. It still takes my breath away.

Jeni, "you need a clear head to deal with your relationship." A good friend of mine told me this while I was drinking and boy did it make me mad! But she was right and I will never forget that moment in time.

You deserve to see your life with clear eyes, heart and mind. No matter how you feel this weekend or what comes your way. You want to be sober, for you. No more drowning in lies. You stopped doing that a long time ago and no matter the challenges, you are doing a great job.

Are you traveling somewhere beautiful? Have a wonderful time. BTW - I really appreciate your posts. You're a wise lady and offer so much to us.
This is a beautiful response to a beautiful post. Thank you both.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jeni, I am so glad you shared with us.

Keep exposing the AV and thoughts for the liars that they are.

Keep your beautiful light shining brightly.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jeni I agree getting it on the page & off your chest is a good way of exposing your AV I like crushing the AV with gratitude, joy & positivity

Exercise helps as done reading having a personal journal is a excellent way of recording the exposure of your AV so you can reflect & see it shrinking as time goes on not to mention recording the trio of gratitude joy & positivity in your journal

Youl soon see how lil the AV looks to your own personal gratitude joy & positivity and just keep starving it or crushing it with the above

Know your not alone with it & you always have us