Notices

Vomiting those guts out...

Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vomiting those guts out...

In the Austin airport just now I went to the bathroom.

From one of the stalls came the sounds of violent, whole-body vomiting. The kind that only comes from a terrible hangover, the body's rebellion to just-above-death alcohol poisoning.

The kind of start to a day that I've lived countless times.

I lingered a while, hoping to offer the guy a couple of words... Hoping to reach out.

But the heaving and retching continued. The nose-blowing and the groaning. I could taste the vileness in my memory.

I had to move on to board my flight. I felt heaviness in my heart for him.... Picturing him headed home to his family from the Dell conference.... Suffering his shameful way back to gut it out and act normal. How many times is this for him? Will he find an opening to get help?

Thankful that is all behind me.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Nice reminder why we never want to go back there.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too remember those mornings. Here's to hoping this guy's finds sobriety and to us for never having to feel that way again.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh that poor guy. Gives me anxiety just thinking about feeling that way.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was pretty disturbing to hear, to feel, to be shocked back into that terrifyingly-familiar place.

For a moment I could experience it all again....
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Poor guy; I feel for him.

Hope he finds his way out of that torment.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My father's career took him to Las Vegas where he lived for several years and he traveled a lot. He would tell me stories about how many guys were always in the bathroom at 6AM puking their guts out prior to getting on their flight. Or when he was flying back to Vegas how many people on the plane were getting wound up at 7AM. yuk.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You never know he could have just been sick, nervous, doesnt like flying etc... or he might be hung over.

But I dont miss yacking from drinking. YUCK. What a horrible feeling that is, I just shivered remembering those mornings. BLECH.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never miss that crap.

~Bunnez
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
In the Austin airport just now I went to the bathroom.

From one of the stalls came the sounds of violent, whole-body vomiting. The kind that only comes from a terrible hangover, the body's rebellion to just-above-death alcohol poisoning.
if ya ever have to go through chemo you may change your mind of that type of vomiting only coming from a hangover.

imo, hangover vomiting was quite a lot better than when i was going through chemo.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

True enough... Maybe he was just sick or gong through chemo or had food poisoning or anxiety....

On the other hand, considering he was hurling his guts out prior to the first flights out after the last night of a big tech conference in a party town, amongst a throng of bleary-eyes booze-stinky IT travelers headed home and the roller bag laptop case of the IT guy official uniform was poking out under the stall as he knelt on the floor gripping the throne..... Maybe not.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found if it looks like duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck it is usually a duck maybe not always a duck but usually
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I lingered a while, hoping to offer the guy a couple of words... Hoping to reach out.
No offense, as I know your intentions are good, but if he was vomiting from a hangover, then I can't think of anything that you could say to reach out that doesn't make you come off as a total douche, and multiply that by 10 if his reasons for vomiting were from the flu, food poisoning, or a host of other medical reasons for wretched vomiting, and you assumed it must be from drinking because he has a bag that 90% of business travelers own and it's the morning after a huge conference.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
No offense, as I know your intentions are good, but if he was vomiting from a hangover, then I can't think of anything that you could say to reach out that doesn't make you come off as a total douche, and multiply that by 10 if his reasons for vomiting were from the flu, food poisoning, or a host of other medical reasons for wretched vomiting, and you assumed it must be from drinking because he has a bag that 90% of business travelers own and it's the morning after a huge conference.
The best time to reach someone struggling with addiction is in the midst of their misery. All I was going to offer was an 'I understand what you're going through' and hand him my card.

I won't ever judge or assert any shoulds on someone - but I feel it's a sacred duty now, to reach out to those who still suffer.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Worst case, I mildly offend someone who retorts 'you can't POSSIBLY know what I'm going through!!'

Small risk, as I see it - when compared with the risk of turning my back to a chance to be there when a fellow alcoholic could have been offered a glimpse of another way.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

The best time to reach someone struggling with addiction is in the midst of their misery. All I was going to offer was an 'I understand what you're going through' and hand him my card.

I won't ever judge or assert any shoulds on someone - but I feel it's a sacred duty now, to reach out to those who still suffer.
Worst case, I mildly offend someone who retorts 'you can't POSSIBLY know what I'm going through!!'

Small risk, as I see it - when compared with the risk of turning my back to a chance to be there when a fellow alcoholic could have been offered a glimpse of another way.
Seriously, a random is vomiting (from alcohol or not) in the stall of an airport bathroom and he's an alcoholic?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Throwing up is never good!! Hope he's alright!!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Seriously, a random is vomiting (from alcohol or not) in the stall of an airport bathroom and he's an alcoholic?
I get it. You disagree with my conclusion and perspective. I don't clam to be right.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got a little shiver up and down my back just reading about the retching. Maybe this guy's an alcoholic, maybe not. In any case, it definitely brings up in ME anxious memories and a wish to never go back that kind of misery. Of course, there's no escaping some misery from minor or major illness, but if I never retch due to drinking again, it'll be a great life.

Delfin
Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There is a local fellow who performs recovery music as part of his Nar-Anon 12th step. His style is folksy, he plays lead guitar and sings and is backed up by an associate on bass guitar.

One of the songs he performs is "One day more" written by Michael Purington c. 2009, Michael Purington & The Messengers: Alcoholism, quit drinking, recovery music, alcoholics, drinking problem, recovery - QuitDrinkin.com

I don't have a hangover like I did for years and years,
didn't start my morning just throwing up last night's beer.
I know where my car is, it's parked right out side my door,
and I think I'll try not drinkin' one day more.

One day more, just 24 hours,
the past 24 ain't been that bad,
one day more,
why not try stayin' sober for one day more.

There's money in my pocket,
and my dog ain't afraid of me.
I can look in the mirror without hating what I see,
I remember everything I did the night before
and I think I'll try not drinkin' one day more.

one day more,

I wasted half a lifetime goin' out of my mind,
stumblin' round fallin' further and further down
deaf, dumb and blind
It's a real good feelin' like I'm finally bein' born
so I think I'll try not drinkin' one day more.

one day more,