Notices

Interesting Place, SR

Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting Place, SR

Hello Everyone

I am new so thought it appropriate to introduce myself. I have been at the abstinence/recovery thing for a long time. Longest period sober, 2 years. I obviously have much to learn. I consider myself a thinking, analyzing person. Both a benefit and a deficit when it comes to recovery. While I have a decent amount of knowledge about SUD, it is just that knowledge that can trip me up. Overthinking and analyzing everything when I believe the root of recovery is surrender. Acknowledging that I am addicted to alcohol and cannot control it, no matter what, is pretty easy. Its that surrender, complete and total, that eludes me. I know that with alcohol my life will be miserable, yet I return to it with that full knowledge. I'm not sure how long I've been sober now, a few months. Of course life is much better.

I believe what I am really grappling with right now is this sort of basic understanding that I simply cannot have relationships. I am a parent and have a marvelous connection with my child. But beyond that I simply can't be 'normal' enough to continue to connect with other humans long term. I can 'fake it' for a while but eventually the stress of wearing masks (something I don't know how NOT to do) just wears me down. The anxiety becomes overwhelming and I either run from the person, or I drink and blow up the relationship. I think I understand the psychology on a clinical level, but its the 'heart' of this that I can't wrap my mind around. Don't be scared of this, but I relate to the main character on Dexter. No not the sociopath part, but the fact that he's always trying to figure out how to fit in. How to understand what 'normal' is. He is forever watching and analyzing the actions of other human animals and how he compares to them, or doesn't. He prefers solitude and quiet. As do I. I am not far in the series yet but I sense he is really deeply lonely but doesn't know how to connect to that sense. Now I do have deep feelings, but I don't know how to understand them. They baffle me and frighten me. I guess that is why connecting to others challenges me so much because I feel, get terribly anxious and must abort mission.

Well, yes I'm weird. But I think much of this is at the core of my drinking. AA is not an option for me because, well, there's all that connection. I recently ended a relationship of two years with a man I thought I deeply loved. I thought I was being genuinely me....but realized after a couple of months that that was not true. But as a deeply codependent person I denied this fact and tried to become whatever I thought he wanted me to be. Turns out he's a bit of a covert narcissist...so the dance of the NPI and Codi began and the relationship almost killed me and ended up in flames. So deeply sad. I just think I will never be able to connect with anyone, ever. In some ways that provides tremendous relief. But then I think, that's not normal. Or is it?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, I think a lot of us here struggle with relationships for many reasons. I also think that being sober makes a big difference in a relationship. Often, people you felt you enjoyed while drinking, are not so interesting when you're sober.

I'm not an AA person either, and I have depended upon books and SR to guide me through recovery.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I can relate on many levels. Sober then relapse. Still trying to figure who I am. Takes time. I too hate faking and going through the motions. Part of life we must all learn to deal with.
Dexter is a great show. Goes downhill after the John Lithgow season. Spoiler alert.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Suggest finding a group hobby.

For me, it is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

The stress, the interaction, the information etc attaches to my human nature.

Besides the fact that I am in better shape and now have self defense skills, I can't be a drunk doing it.

Also, there are a lot of like minded, future friends in class..
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

That sounds familiar.

Not feeling like I fit it. Thinking I'm weird. Really strong feelings that I don't know what to do with. Don't know how to wear masks, but feeling like I'm supposed to. Trying to figure out or guess at what normal behaviour is. Trouble having relationships with people. Over-analyzing/complicating everything.

For a while, drinking helped me out with all that until it didn't.
And that's when I found I found out that AA is full of people like me.

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

P.s.

I binged watched Dexter. Hated how it ended.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Just to say you have at least one sort of kindred spirit here. I could have written much of your post (were I able to write so well).

I share the qualities of … hmmm… Over-reliance on analysis? Disconnection? Inability to achieve an integrated authentic self? “Weirdness?” Inability to escape relating to others by incessantly watching, analyzing, and comparing? Inability to have relationships (my last one was in the 20th Century)?

Anyway, I have nothing really profound to say about that and couldn't articulate it if I did, but I just wanted you to know you’re not alone in your uniqueness

I will say, however, that I did finally get completely free of the obsession (often expressed as a need to over-analyze) with alcohol. And yes, the key for me was complete and total surrender. It was, as they say, a paradigm shift. I finally really and truly wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink.

If I could do it, I’m sure you can too!

Oh, and after several years around here, I’ve never seen the acronym SUD, and it’s not on Anna’s acronym sticky list. What does it stand for?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Flickaflip, to SR; glad you found us.

I am curious, also; what is SUD?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Welcome to the forum
Normal is a funny term, dontcha ya think? It may just be a great white whale I never read Moby Dick but I get the impression spending too much time and effort trying to catch the thing, doesn't end well for the getter. Anyway, wish you well, and hope to see you around
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi, I think a lot of us here struggle with relationships for many reasons. I also think that being sober makes a big difference in a relationship. Often, people you felt you enjoyed while drinking, are not so interesting when you're sober.

I'm not an AA person either, and I have depended upon books and SR to guide me through recovery.
Hi Anna and thank you for the response. Yes, being sober is critical...which I was, until the end. Well I was abstinent shall I say. Sober? Not so much but that's a long story. I drink for many reasons at this point, all of which are negative. But in a phrase, I deal to drink with extreme anxiety. That wasn't always the case but it is now. And I've always drank alone...for the most part. I have never had drinking 'buddies'...or any buddies for that matter.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Welcome to SR! I can relate on many levels. Sober then relapse. Still trying to figure who I am. Takes time. I too hate faking and going through the motions. Part of life we must all learn to deal with.
Dexter is a great show. Goes downhill after the John Lithgow season. Spoiler alert.
Hi Letitgo and thank you for the Welcome. I think you hit on a very good point. Figuring out who I am, who I want to be, loving that person (or at minimum accepting her) and keeping her around long enough to become her. As a codie I tend to lose myself very quickly. And as an intuitive person I'm good, initially, at being what a person wants me to be. Exhausting and futile.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Flick
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Suggest finding a group hobby.

For me, it is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

The stress, the interaction, the information etc attaches to my human nature.

Besides the fact that I am in better shape and now have self defense skills, I can't be a drunk doing it.

Also, there are a lot of like minded, future friends in class..
Hi D122 and thank you for the message. That is great that you engage in this activity that supports mind and body. I'll google. I am an avid hot yoga enthusiastic. A runner as well. Its that 'group' word that I'm not fond of. Yoga is a group, but it is an inner practice and has no interaction (other than in the dressing room) with others...which I like. A complete internal moving meditation. And believe me, you can't do vinyasa in a 108 degree room if you're not toxin free! I understand what you are saying. I can run hungover, even if its a bit pathetic..but not hot yoga. I am interested in Tennis which I'm pretty good at. Just haven't played in years. That might be a start....there isn't too much interaction while playing other than the sport. But there is a social side if I choose to engage. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Welcome!

Just to say you have at least one sort of kindred spirit here. I could have written much of your post (were I able to write so well).

I share the qualities of … hmmm… Over-reliance on analysis? Disconnection? Inability to achieve an integrated authentic self? “Weirdness?” Inability to escape relating to others by incessantly watching, analyzing, and comparing? Inability to have relationships (my last one was in the 20th Century)?

Anyway, I have nothing really profound to say about that and couldn't articulate it if I did, but I just wanted you to know you’re not alone in your uniqueness

I will say, however, that I did finally get completely free of the obsession (often expressed as a need to over-analyze) with alcohol. And yes, the key for me was complete and total surrender. It was, as they say, a paradigm shift. I finally really and truly wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink.

If I could do it, I’m sure you can too!

Oh, and after several years around here, I’ve never seen the acronym SUD, and it’s not on Anna’s acronym sticky list. What does it stand for?
Hi Andante and thank you for the post. It is good to know I'm not alone. Yes the elusive paradigm shift.....I think I have been there before....but I guess not. It is finding, and keeping, that authentic self that lies in the center of my challenge.

SUD is substance use disorder...kind of a generic, clinical term for addiction as a mental illness...which I believe is a component of the condition.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Welcome, Flickaflip, to SR; glad you found us.

I am curious, also; what is SUD?
Hi SoberLeigh. Thank you so much for the welcome. Substance Use Disorder.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Welcome to the forum
Normal is a funny term, dontcha ya think? It may just be a great white whale I never read Moby Dick but I get the impression spending too much time and effort trying to catch the thing, doesn't end well for the getter. Anyway, wish you well, and hope to see you around
Hi dwtbd Thank you for the welcome. Yes normal is a funny term and quite relative. I have this instinct that when anyone says they are normal I should run like the wind. In a way I am fond of my, um, somewhat quirky nature. But I was taught at an early age that different isn't ok. I had to change, fit in, don't show the real me. So I chased that elusive white whale....which doesn't exist I suppose. As a result I never really got to know me. Or accept me. Who knows? Guess its my job to find out.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joanne B View Post
That sounds familiar.

Not feeling like I fit it. Thinking I'm weird. Really strong feelings that I don't know what to do with. Don't know how to wear masks, but feeling like I'm supposed to. Trying to figure out or guess at what normal behaviour is. Trouble having relationships with people. Over-analyzing/complicating everything.

For a while, drinking helped me out with all that until it didn't.
And that's when I found I found out that AA is full of people like me.

Welcome to SR!
Hi Joanne, Thank you for the welcome. Yes drinking is the solution for a while isn't it? And now I guess its the delivery system into a better way of life....if I could only embrace that consistently.

I am happy that you have found your solution in the 12 steps and fellowship of AA. I have much respect for the program and have spent many hours in meetings. I have learned much that I use everyday....just a recipe for helping me live life. The fellowships are not for me but the 'program' is an excellent tool for uncovering, discovering and discarding unhealthy thoughts and feelings.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Flick
Hey soberwolf thank you for the welcome. You know I wanted to be Flickaflip but it was taken. So I guess I'm Frick. Actually I didn't want to be anything close to my username but everything was taken. Literally. I started looking around my living room and trying things like Loveseat, Sofa, Lamp, Orientalrug, hotairballoon, mtfuji...all taken. Then frickaflip popped in my head so that's the name! Pretty funny...to me anyway
Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"Overthinking and analyzing everything when I believe the root of recovery is surrender. "

Welcome.
I never considered the root of recovery as "surrender".
Perhaps this is a more secular way to recovery.
I didn't use AA or any other group recovery. Recognizing I had a problem was the beginning. The realizing that without a sober foundation my life had no stability. Until the mind set is rewired, it is easy to fall back into old routines.

Besides, alcoholism is highly illogical.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome to SR