Notices

I'm an idiot

Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an idiot

It's time for me to get serious. I will be making a plan today to stay sober. I can't do it on my own.

I'm now hungover at work on a Monday and sore from falling into my clothes hamper (one day it might be funny, actually it's pretty pathetic). High anxiety today from being sore and also worrying about stupid things such a a scratch I have and worried about flesh eating bacteria because I went to the lake yesterday....one reason I tend to stay away from the news....worrying about things....
Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That dredges up bad memories. Hangover anxiety is no fun. I hope you are able to get serious and follow a plan to stay sober. I hope your day gets better.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an idiot too, I had 5 cop cars at my house last night.....it's time to acknowledge what is, to hell with the ego, tomorrow night they have a beginners AA meeting where I live, and I'll be there......unbelievable
Old 07-27-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
I'm an idiot too, I had 5 cop cars at my house last night.....
Unfortunately I've been there before. But I'm making a plan to never have to go through anything like that again....

An AA meeting sounds good. I still haven't gotten the "courage" to go to one yet. But I probably should go for sure!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Lance! A lunchtime nap may be a good idea to rest my mind.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, I'm glad you've decided to not let this happen again. I can relate to your worrying and I remember it being exhausting. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Been there, done that. For me it was a coffee table and the ensuing giant black eye I had to lie about for the next month.

I hope you can make a plan and get back on track. You are in my thoughts today! Best wishes and (((HUGS))).
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
It's time for me to get serious. I will be making a plan today to stay sober. I can't do it on my own.
You struggled to do this on your own.

Recovery is kind of like continuing education. Some folks can study at home, take a correspondence course or an online class. They can learn on their own.

Others need the classroom. The classroom for recovery is AA.

There are other options as well. But the key point is to take action and take advantage of established programs.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You struggled to do this on your own. Recovery is kind of like continuing education. Some folks can study at home, take a correspondence course or an online class. They can learn on their own. Others need the classroom. The classroom for recovery is AA. There are other options as well. But the key point is to take action and take advantage of established programs.
Carl I was a bit nervous to read your comment at first b/c I find you very blunt and right to the point 😉
But that actually makes total sense to me now. I've always been the type of person that needs a teacher or "classroom". I learn better that way.

It's time for me to use the programs. I believe it will benefit me and help me stay sober. Thanks Carl!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
An AA meeting sounds good. I still haven't gotten the "courage" to go to one yet. But I probably should go for sure!
You "probably" should go "for sure"? If you do truly want to make a change this time ( and AA is going to be your plan ) around perhaps your sentence above should read

"My #1 prority today is to go to an AA meeing" ;-)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. That's better.

I found a women's meeting tonight at 6. They have meetings everyday at 6.

What do these abbr. stand for?

CD, M, HA
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They don't have the women's meetings everyday....but there are meeting at 6 daily. Wanted to clarify
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think each Intergroup (Regional AA) might have different abbreviations. My Intergroup doesn't use any of those abbreviations.

Call your local AA phone number and ask, or look for the info on whatever website you used to look up the meeting. Another thing is that the websites sometimes are not correct. Each group has a meeting schedule for your area, you should be able to pick one up at any meeting.

I think it's important to know before you go. (HA could be Handicapped Accessible)
Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know what's really baffling is I drank 4 doubles at lunch, followed by 2 bottles of wine, and half a bottle of gin at home, had the cops arrive, and I suspect my husbands not speaking to me, and some how I think we'll maybe I'm not enough of an alcoholic for AA? Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion?
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wishing you the best on day one. Hope you will let us know how that AA meeting went.

Those abbreviations are probably listed somewhere on the website. I'm guessing "CD" means closed discussion, meaning two things: 1) It's a closed meeting. That just means it's only for people who want to stop drinking, so your non-alcoholic wife or husband or friend is not welcome to attend, as opposed to an open meeting which anyone with an interest in AA can attend. 2) Whoever chairs the meeting will come up with a topic for discussion. Discussion meetings are kind of the "normal" or "basic" type of AA meeting.
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks BB!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You know what's really baffling is I drank 4 doubles at lunch, followed by 2 bottles of wine, and half a bottle of gin at home, had the cops arrive, and I suspect my husbands not speaking to me, and some how I think we'll maybe I'm not enough of an alcoholic for AA? Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion?
The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. I hope you'll give it a try. There's a better way of life waiting for you, and you're not going to find it in the bottom of a wine or gin bottle.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks BB! And m is for men's. I was looking at the wrong one. What is closed discussion? I've never been to AA before and I'm already getting nervous. I have been to alanon in the past.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You couldn't pay me to drink right now, doesn't an alcoholic want to drink all the time?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's amazing you didn't go to jail, depending on the reason they showed up. I read some of your old posts this morning and it's was a shocking reminder as to why I'm quitting.

Part if my plan is to come here as often as I can so that I can be reminded as to why I'm making this change.